ncdrawl

The Must have list for a Classical Neophyte....Trying to help expand the minds here.

Good to hear from you again! Hope the degree goes well. I am well, and being kept busy!

4 hours ago, ncdrawl said:

Doing well my friend, how are you? Racked up my divorce count  , girls getting big, and I've retired, going back in once I finish my it degree 

Glad your well and doing OK, considering. Welcome back.:hug:.

Hello every one this my first time on this thread.  I was raised basically on Rock'n'Roll and Rock music.  However back then now and then I listened to Wagner (just music no words).  Now a lot of moons onwards part of my listening sessions involves full scale classical music. However there are two composers where I do not get on with their most important works that Is Mahler and Bruckner.  My friend played Mahler's 9th Symphony with great reverence commenting how beautiful and sad it was...  I just could not get into it, it sounded boring and if I could not sleep at night this piece would certainly induce me to sleep.  However I do love Mahlers 1st , 2nd and 3rd Symphonies.  With Bruckner its an experience on two extremes for me.  His music consist of very dramatic and thrilling parts which totally engross me but in the same piece of music suddenly the music becomes extremely boring, these two contrasting styles seem to exist in all his music, to the extent there is no one piece of music I can listen to from the very beginning right to the end.  People had said that the music cannot consistently be exciting there are slower and calmer parts as well, however my answer to that is but I like the slower and calmer parts of vast majority of other classical composers must be his style of composing?  I just wondered are there other Classical music lovers who too cannot completely get on with the two composers?