Sign in to follow this  
johnniebaby

Origin Live/RB 250 upgrade, money well spent?

reg wrote:

Has anyone heard an Funk upgraded LP12? Looks interesting.

Heard a funked LP12 at the heathrow show - very good indeed, even under show conditions, looks like a worthwhile upgrade to me if I had an LP12.

As a previous LP12 owner I would seriously think about the funk upgrades, especially hearing rumours about the price of Linn's next upgrades to their old deck.

Guest murray johnson

Good to see some original (patent pending) thinking going on down at Funk.

V_pulley.jpg

Funk Assymetrical 'Vector Drive' system (2006)

spktermsvoyd005.jpg

Voyd (1986)

reg wrote:

The Full upgrade is around £1200.

You can get a pretty handy turntable for that money. IS it competitive?

well the rumoured Linn Aluminium sub-chassis is supposed to be in the region of £3k so makes your own mind up.

Personally I'd swap the LP12 + the £1200 for funk upgrade and get an Orbe, or an Avid Volvere or Well Tempered deck. All of them will beat the LP12, imo, and all do what the LP12 is best at as well, therefore you get the best of both worlds.

Hi, just to update my original thread, sent off arm to j7 for stripping and external rewire, came back looking superb, set it up, still no left channel, returned it to j7 for testing, result cartridge is knackered. I bought the cart about 3 months ago from HiFi nova in France as new old stock, will have to contact them, but don't hold out much hope of any type of refund/exchange.The upshot is I need to get a new cart, I liked the Empire EDR 9,(much prefered it to my Grado Prestige Gold) and can get another 'new,old stock' one for about £60, but am concerned it may only last a few months. Any recommendations for MM cart, up to absolute maximum £150? I have always heard good things about Goldring 1040. Incedentally I have bought Quad 12L's+Partington Dreadnoughts from Shakey, off to collect later today.