Sign in to follow this  
johnniebaby

Origin Live/RB 250 upgrade, money well spent?

Hi, I own a Pink Triangle,Little Pink Thing, RB 250 arm with structural mods, and silver litz internal rewire by Origin Live, an Empire EDR 9 mm cartridge. Amplification is via Rotel RC-03 pre, and 2x Rotel RB-03 power amps running in bridged mono using Chord Chrysalis interconnect, and Cable Talk 3.1 to a pair of Epos 12s, on Atacama Nexus stands. I am thinking of sending the arm to Origin Live for external re-wire/phonos plus arm stripping and slotting, any opinions on benefits of these mods, or would I be better off spending the £150-00 elsewhere? Thanks John.

johnniebaby wrote:

Hi, I own a Pink Triangle,Little Pink Thing, RB 250 arm with structural mods, and silver litz internal rewire by Origin Live, an Empire EDR 9 mm cartridge. Amplification is via Rotel RC-03 pre, and 2x Rotel RB-03 power amps running in bridged mono using Chord Chrysalis interconnect, and Cable Talk 3.1 to a pair of Epos 12s, on Atacama Nexus stands. I am thinking of sending the arm to Origin Live for external re-wire/phonos plus arm stripping and slotting, any opinions on benefits of these mods, or would I be better off spending the £150-00 elsewhere? Thanks John.

I would be looking to upgrade your speakers at some point, or adding a sub to the Epos's. Nice little system you have there IMHO.

Guest Umberto

If you are thinking of upgrading your arm take a look at this website www.audioorigami.co.uk. Johnny does some sterling work and can probably do it for less than OL.

Thanks Umberto, I have just mailed johnny 7. I have lost right channel this afternoon, seems to be a fault in arm wiring, only got it back from Origin Live 4 months ago,when they 'fixed' the same fault. Very frustrating.

Sell your arm and pick up a secondhand Michell Tecnoarm. A far better bet imo - you can pick up a used one for around 250 pounds.

Thanks Papa Lazarou, I am about to send the Rega to Audio origami to sort out lost signal and fit new ext. arm lead I will decide whether to trade up on its return. Maybe I would be better off replacing the LPT as well, I have been lusting after a VPI for some time now.

Having owned an OL Silver mk2 tonearm until recently i certainly won't vouch for their build quality. Have heard many horror stories from dealers about poorly built arms. The Silver was very disappointing to my ears - the Tecnoarm costs 170 pounds less and sounds vastly superior. Build quality is in another league too. If you're looking for a souped-up Rega its the one to go for imo.

HFW biggest failing as a mag, is their continued humping of OL on their pages, have heard lots of bad reports about OL build quality, even seen HFN reviews where samples have been shoddily buily.

Good vote for the Technoarm, a nice bit of kit and if I was ever replacing my Akito its where I would be looking.

johnniebaby wrote:

Is the techno arm Rega fit?

Yes - its a heavily-modified Rb250 at heart. You won't beat it at the price imo.

I'll agree with Papa - but then I would do as I also own a Technoarm.

It starts off life as a RB250 then gets the Michell treatment, which means it ends up as a reasonably priced bargain ;). It has excellent bass response and much better overal presentation than the stock RB250, and is far superior to the OL option. I'm one of the ones who recommended the arm to Papa :Dwho has learnt his lesson well.

The great thing about the RB250, and subsequently the Technoarm, is that it's compatible with a lot of carts out there, some way more expensive than the arm itself.

I've heard the OL Illustrious at Emma Royd's and tbh I think it's a very nice sounding arm, with his Lyra Argo and Whest phono It was making some excellentmusic last time I was round his place. And bearing in mind I'm no fan of MF, which Emma has, than this is proves what can happen when you get the front end right, as all things I dislike of MF gear were non-existant in his setup.

Guest murray johnson

If & when you decide to upgrade the TT you should speak to Arthur K at Funk about taking the PT parts you have further along that road. You already have most of the expensive bits ie bearing/platter/plinth etc so it may be worth checking which of the new bits could be fitted.

http://www.thefunkfirm.co.uk/upgrade.htm

Im going to do my own rewire on a 300 arm see this site if your up for diy:D

Using .25 pure silver wire the whole process should cost max £30-£50 inc some Eichmann rca plugs shilding heat shrink and good ol elbo grease:bulb:

http://www.hi-fi.com/diy/rega/

griffo104 wrote:

I'll agree with Papa - but then I would do as I also own a Technoarm.

It starts off life as a RB250 then gets the Michell treatment, which means it ends up as a reasonably priced bargain ;). It has excellent bass response and much better overal presentation than the stock RB250, and is far superior to the OL option. I'm one of the ones who recommended the arm to Papa :Dwho has learnt his lesson well.

The great thing about the RB250, and subsequently the Technoarm, is that it's compatible with a lot of carts out there, some way more expensive than the arm itself.

I've heard the OL Illustrious at Emma Royd's and tbh I think it's a very nice sounding arm, with his Lyra Argo and Whest phono It was making some excellentmusic last time I was round his place. And bearing in mind I'm no fan of MF, which Emma has, than this is proves what can happen when you get the front end right, as all things I dislike of MF gear were non-existant in his setup.

:goodone: Im also happy with the job the Technoarm is doing on my Orbe..