Bazzer

Twitchers Thread

29 minutes ago, Bazzer said:

Had my first Ring-necked Parakeet sighting today ,flew over the garden .

They are pretty birds but unfortunately have become a bit of a pest in some areas. 

Yes Richmond Park and environs has huge numbers, seemingly growing exponentially - my main issue is they flock and screech constantly so you just don’t get to hear the native species anymore.

16 hours ago, Bazzer said:

Had my first Ring-necked Parakeet sighting today ,flew over the garden .

You may have heard it before you saw it Bazzer- noisy buggers they are.:off::)

• Like 1

On 06/12/2019 at 15:59, unintended1 said:

Thanks Richard.

A few things I usually do for Red kites in flight:

• Keep the sun at my back and the bird in front of me. 
  • Shoot in manual and don't trust the camera meter because it usually underexposes birds against a bright sky.
  • Shoot raw and expose to the right (ETTR) so that the blue sky in your raw file is brighter than it should be. Then in post you can bring down the sky/highlights and won't need to boost the shadows as much to show the underside of the bird. 
  • Time permitting shoot when the sun is a bit lower in the sky. Winter is good as it never gets very high. 
  • If the sun is higher in the sky then try to wait for the kite to bank and fire shots as the sun hits it.
  • If you shoot on overcast white sky days raise the ISO and let the sky blow out and you'll have soft even light all over the bird including the underside and a high key look which can work well.

Brilliant Keith, thank you.

Shall have to get out before long. We have so many kites around here that it's really annoying not to get some decent shots.

• Like 1