Bazzer

Twitchers Thread

Great pic Keith , don't often get a Coal Tit in the garden but can always spot it as the three common ones are all different in their behaviour . I often wonder why they aren't as common as the Great and Blue as the habitats are the same.

14 minutes ago, Bazzer said:

Great pic Keith , don't often get a Coal Tit in the garden but can always spot it as the three common ones are all different in their behaviour . I often wonder why they aren't as common as the Great and Blue as the habitats are the same.

Lovely pic indeed.

As for being common, different by area maybe? The only figures I can find don't seem to show a relative decline, but I haven't looked at actual numbers. I have to say though that for the last few years, I've noticed some changes here, with a lot of species being either rarer or absent altogether. We're lucky with our location, and relatively small though it is, the garden is a bit of a wildlife haven.

We get blue tits, robins, goldcrests, wrens, collared doves and the inevitable blackbirds and wood pigeons nesting all over the place. However, we used to get a lot more variety of visitors. So far this autumn, for the small birds the robins are about, the blue tits have arrived in force and the goldcrests pop in and out, but that's it. I can't remember the last time I saw any others and usually I'd have counted all of the finches and other tits by now.

Thanks guys. This is the first year I've seen them in the garden so I am pleased to get a few photos :)Always loads of blue tits and a few great tits in my garden. From what I've read coal tits prefer coniferous woodlands. The blue tits don't seem fussy at all, I see them everywhere locally around here. Interestingly the coal tit takes food from the feeder and often then flies off and buries it. The blue and great tits don't cache food. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, rabski said:

Wrens, collared doves and the inevitable blackbirds and wood pigeons nesting all over the place. However, we used to get a lot more variety of visitors. So far this autumn, for the small birds the robins are about, the blue tits have arrived in force and the goldcrests pop in and out, but that's it. I can't remember the last time I saw any others and usually I'd have counted all of the finches and other tits by now.

22 minutes ago, unintended1 said:

Thanks guys. This is the first year I've seen them in the garden so I am pleased to get a few photos :)Always loads of blue tits and a few great tits in my garden. From what I've read coal tits prefer coniferous woodlands. The blue tits don't seem fussy at all, I see them everywhere locally around here. Interestingly the coal tit takes food from the feeder and often then flies off and buries it. The blue and great tits don't cache food. 

Interesting posts , a certain bird could be so close but if you don't have what they want they wont visit , Goldfinches the last two years have been our commonest visitor/resident , today I counted 22 in a silver birch , feeding on whatever it is they like . I have never seen a Jackdaw in any garden I have lived yet 200 yards away on the village green they seem to have claimed squatter's rights.

True Barry, but I'm convinced there have been some changes. We still have the same shrubs with berries as for the last few years and we still put effectively the same seed mix out in the feeders, but the finches just don't seem to be around at all. The other notable one is that we used to regularly get long-tailed tits feeding off insects all around the place, but I don't think I've seen one since last autumn. Seems you've got all the finches :D

4 hours ago, Bolts said:

Excellent shots Keith, the wheeling Kite is special

Thanks Ben, you might like this one then.

49177695616_2b0ebbf375_k.jpg

Red Kite Dive by Keith M, on Flickr

• Like 5

Fabulous shots Keith. I'm always impressed by how you manage to get the light into them. Every time I try and get a Kite, I end up with a lovely sky and a silhouette :S

3 hours ago, rabski said:

Fabulous shots Keith. I'm always impressed by how you manage to get the light into them. Every time I try and get a Kite, I end up with a lovely sky and a silhouette :S

Thanks Richard.

A few things I usually do for Red kites in flight:

• Keep the sun at my back and the bird in front of me. 
  • Shoot in manual and don't trust the camera meter because it usually underexposes birds against a bright sky.
  • Shoot raw and expose to the right (ETTR) so that the blue sky in your raw file is brighter than it should be. Then in post you can bring down the sky/highlights and won't need to boost the shadows as much to show the underside of the bird. 
  • Time permitting shoot when the sun is a bit lower in the sky. Winter is good as it never gets very high. 
  • If the sun is higher in the sky then try to wait for the kite to bank and fire shots as the sun hits it.
  • If you shoot on overcast white sky days raise the ISO and let the sky blow out and you'll have soft even light all over the bird including the underside and a high key look which can work well.
  • Like 1

Had my first Ring-necked Parakeet sighting today ,flew over the garden .

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bazzer said:

Had my first Ring-necked Parakeet sighting today ,flew over the garden .

Did you ring it's neck..? :D

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

Did you ring it's neck..? :D

No but I believe you can shoot them 

• Haha 1