Bazzer

Twitchers Thread

Well done Keith on persevering for the Kingfisher shot (lovely) and the Hobby was a fantastic bonus.  Nicely in focus too - how are you finding the Sony set up?

On 28/08/2019 at 08:59, Bolts said:

Well done Keith on persevering for the Kingfisher shot (lovely) and the Hobby was a fantastic bonus.  Nicely in focus too - how are you finding the Sony set up?

Thanks Ben. It almost made up for all the other days with hours of waiting and nothing to photograph!

It's not perfect but I like the Sony system a lot and I'm very happy I switched.

The autofocus is far better than my Canon 1DX. The tracking for birds in flight is in another league entirely - especially now I own a native Sony 200-600mm lens. This is a huge benefit and the main reason for my switch to Sony.

At first I found the silent shutter a bit weird but now I've got used to it I use it all the time and shooting in complete silence with ZERO viewfinder blackout is fantastic. 

I prefer the ergonomics of Canon, particularly my 1DX. I also find getting the colours and contrast to my liking when processing images using Lightroom/Photoshop is harder than it was on my Canon cameras. Although that may just be my unfamiliarity and improve when I get used to it.

For viewing a scene/bird the "image quality" of an optical viewfinder is much nicer. But the EVF has many other advantages such as a WYSIWYG display and a histogram to help get exposure right first time. So I wouldn't want to go back.

On ‎27‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 18:03, unintended1 said:

Thanks Barry.

I spent hours in a hide yesterday hoping to catch a glimpse of a Kingfisher.  It was ridiculously hot in there. Outside was 30C, inside was more! So this Hobby which flew by was a welcome sight and kept me going whilst I sweated it out.  

Where was the Hobby shot taken- great photo that, thanks for posting.:notworthy:

3 hours ago, Tarzan said:

Where was the Hobby shot taken- great photo that, thanks for posting.:notworthy:

Thanks Andy. It was taken at Lavell's Lake in Hurst, Berkshire.

• Like 1

On 30/08/2019 at 11:05, unintended1 said:

Thanks Ben. It almost made up for all the other days with hours of waiting and nothing to photograph!

It's not perfect but I like the Sony system a lot and I'm very happy I switched.

The autofocus is far better than my Canon 1DX. The tracking for birds in flight is in another league entirely - especially now I own a native Sony 200-600mm lens. This is a huge benefit and the main reason for my switch to Sony.

At first I found the silent shutter a bit weird but now I've got used to it I use it all the time and shooting in complete silence with ZERO viewfinder blackout is fantastic. 

I prefer the ergonomics of Canon, particularly my 1DX. I also find getting the colours and contrast to my liking when processing images using Lightroom/Photoshop is harder than it was on my Canon cameras. Although that may just be my unfamiliarity and improve when I get used to it.

For viewing a scene/bird the "image quality" of an optical viewfinder is much nicer. But the EVF has many other advantages such as a WYSIWYG display and a histogram to help get exposure right first time. So I wouldn't want to go back.

Thanks Keith; pros and cons with all systems I guess.  I’m sticking with Nikon for the time being, as the D850 is so versatile and I do a range of photography. With a bit of attention I’ve even got quite good at focusing in wide apertures, something I struggled with at first. I’m guessing the next version of the Nikon mirrorless will be a step up and that could tempt me and was in my mind as I lugged all my kit around South Wales this week 😓

Lovely Keith , was it on it's own ? Tiny aren't they .

Thanks guys. 

Yes it was on it's own. I was surprised how tiny it was. It was very trusting. I managed to get within about 5 metres of it and it just carried on feeding.  

1 hour ago, Bazzer said:

Lovely Keith , was it on it's own ? Tiny aren't they .

• Like 1

Fantastic Mate.:^

What do you think Keith about your new kit ? To me the birds seem so real , your last Kingfisher every time I look at it I'm expecting it to fly off . 

1 hour ago, Bazzer said:

What do you think Keith about your new kit ? To me the birds seem so real , your last Kingfisher every time I look at it I'm expecting it to fly off . 

Thanks Barry. I'm really pleased with it and the more I use it the more I like it ☺