Bazzer

Twitchers Thread

Four Buzzards sorting out mates, I think, flying really close and low but no camera with me :doh:

Now Britain's commonest Bird Of Prey btw.

I was out walking near my home in Eastbourne yesterday and heard and saw several Chiffchaffs.

Information here. http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/c/chiffchaff/index.aspx

Geoff.

pretty little teal swimming at high tide on the topsham reserve last week.

tealattopsham.jpg

No pics and nothing that unusual, but we do have a good population here. We are bordered by large gardens and have loads of trees, so we have blackbirds, collared doves, wrens, robins and goldcrests all nesting nearby. We unfortunately also have about 457,000 wood pigeons. And unfortunately for my koi, we also seem to have a heron in the area.

Just digging out a new pond and the blackbirds are amazing. Totally fearless. Yesterday I had one perched on the end of my welly when I was digging and she got the real hump when I stopped.

No pics and nothing that unusual, but we do have a good population here. We are bordered by large gardens and have loads of trees, so we have blackbirds, collared doves, wrens, robins and goldcrests all nesting nearby. We unfortunately also have about 457,000 wood pigeons. And unfortunately for my koi, we also seem to have a heron in the area.

Just digging out a new pond and the blackbirds are amazing. Totally fearless. Yesterday I had one perched on the end of my welly when I was digging and she got the real hump when I stopped.

:) yeah they really are on to a good thing in our gardens.

The Blackbird incident - they just love worms don't they.

Not taken any bird pics yet this year, but here's one from my library, taken on Seaton Carew Golf Course (the bird was found by me & Mrs Mac :))

bbs.jpg?t=1301582432

interesting....I don't recognise it, and not knowing what time of year makes it tough to guess, but is it temminck's stint?:dunno:

interesting....I don't recognise it, and not knowing what time of year makes it tough to guess, but is it temminck's stint?:dunno:

Thats a good call, never heard of one, but looks like it from some pics I've just seen.

Sorry, forget to say what it was :doh:

It's a Buff-Breasted Sandpiper, a scarce (but regular) visitor, usually Sep/Oct. We found this late September, it was so tame that it could be approached to within 10 feet. Probably never seen a human before, as they breed around the Arctic Circle, therefore had little fear. It is a juvenile too, so no more than a few months old and, although fully grown, doesn't quite have the plumage of a fully mature adult. :geek:

:D

We get a lot of buzzards here but i'd never seen anything so big in the England until we wen back this last weekend where we saw loads of big birds. I was driving so it took a while to work out what they were but in the end they turned out to be Kites. Nice to see them to be honest.:^

It's interesting that even over a relatively short span of water the birds are very different between here and UK. For example the pheasants over here are a good bit skinnier and smaller with not so resplendant plumage. No idea why this should be, just thought it was interesting.

Wonder how many 40 years plus folk on here used to collect birds eggs? I look back and think what a cruel sod I must have been in my formative years. :doh:

Becasse is a bird that is shot over here and is prized, but fairly well protected. A shooter will pay a lot to shoot in areas where they are known to be. They're only little things with big beakd, snipe I think....

We get a lot of buzzards here but i'd never seen anything so big in the England until we wen back this last weekend where we saw loads of big birds. I was driving so it took a while to work out what they were but in the end they turned out to be Kites. Nice to see them to be honest.:^

It's interesting that even over a relatively short span of water the birds are very different between here and UK. For example the pheasants over here are a good bit skinnier and smaller with not so resplendant plumage. No idea why this should be, just thought it was interesting.

Wonder how many 40 years plus folk on here used to collect birds eggs? I look back and think what a cruel sod I must have been in my formative years. :doh:

Becasse is a bird that is shot over here and is prized, but fairly well protected. A shooter will pay a lot to shoot in areas where they are known to be. They're only little things with big beakd, snipe I think....

"Becasse" is a Woodcock, similar to snipe, but bigger and highly prized as game birds. They do have the long straight bill of a snipe though. They are waders, but their habitat is usually deciduous woodland.

What part of France do you live in Stu?

OK, another pic, this time in Morocco, it's a Roller - fabulous bird with amazing plumage, particularly when seen in flight -

roller1.jpg?t=1301599489

Has anyone heard or seen a Cuckoo yet this year ? Last year I only heard one in my area and none the year before. Twenty plus years ago I was out and about on land near where I live and saw three male Cuckoos in the same tree squabbling and chasing each other from branch to branch. They would appear to now definitely be in decline which is very sad considering my area has a large population of Reed Warblers who's nests are favoured by Cuckoos in which to to lay their eggs.

Geoff.