Bazzer

Twitchers Thread

Just found this :^

I'm not a twitcher, but a "birder" ;-)

Just got back from 2 weeks "birding" in India :cool:

I spend a lot of time looking for birds in the UK (Isles of Scilly every October, Shetland in May last year etc) Lucky enough to live within a short drive to "Teesgob" (Teesmouth to you) so go there mostly. Fortunately, Mrs pmac enjoys birding too, so no problems on the home front.

My real passion though, is "World birding" My hobby has taken me to every continent on the planet. Allowed me to see some remarkable places & people. I only have one aim (birding wise) and that is to see the best birds in the world in the most spectacular settings !!! I'm well on my way :D:D:D

I'll start posting some pictures soon :)

I'm not a twitcher, but a "birder" ;-)

)

So what are the definitions Paul ?

So what are the definitions Paul ?

A birder is interested in seeing birds in their natural habitat, observing their habits and enjoying the experience. If a rarity turns up, it is a bonus. :)

A twitcher is simply interested in seeing "the bird". It is irrelevant to them what condition the bird is in (most extremely rare migrants - vagrants - are close to death anyway and it is highly unlikely that they will ever succeed in reaching to their intended destination). They are simply "ticking" the birds off a list and are generally obsessive about their hobby (fanatics) They will travel absurd distances to get the chance of seeing a rarity (not always successful) and, quite often, can display the most abhorrent behaviour, as long as THEY see "the bird" :x

I've experienced a number of "twitchers" who's behaviour is less than exemplary (and had a few "run-ins" with them too!) and, for that reason alone, you can keep that side of the hobby.

:)

A bit of a rant, I know, but I feel strongly about the "welfare of the bird" coming first.

Bloody 'ell Twitchers, bird watching extremists :shock:

Can't change the thread title now :(

Bloody 'ell Twitchers, bird watching extremists :shock:

Can't change the thread title now :(

I'm really good friends with a lot of twitchers. They are not ALL twats (I should have said that earlier) some of them are really good guys and do put the birds welfare first. Unfortunately, the minority .............................. you know the rest :)

Looking forward to some of your pics Paul, Great Tits and Chaffinches by the shed load where I live (West Cheshire)

So for Twitcher, read Train-Spotter.:P

One of the local Mute Swans from the nearby lake. I suppose it could be classed at their natural environment. :dunno:

KillingworthBirds.jpg?t=1301131196

10 - 15 years ago you could attract a large amount of Collared Doves to some bread in the garden, these days they a quite a rare sight as Wood Pigeons have taken up residence.

Every garden seems to have at least one pair and they appear to breed nearly all year round.

They waddle around like ducks and are easily run over, my dog has caught 3 in the last year.

">8e96824ca1784247a90bb048fceb7050

Looks like there'll soon be another few woodpigeons by the look of that photo. Dirty!

Anyway, saw my first yellowhammer and grey wagtail of the year today.

Looks like there'll soon be another few woodpigeons by the look of that photo. Dirty!

Nice work :^

Of course, they are both breeding residents, so you should be able to see tham at any time of the year in the right habitat. Our summer visitors are starting to arrive now. Sand Martins have reached the North East, along with Avocets and Little Ringed Plovers :^ to name a few.

There's a coincidence , those two are the "rarest" birds around my area at the moment and the most colorful. There are a few Yellow Hammers but only one pair of Grey Wagtails.

I did see a Treecreeper but couldn't get a photo.

yellowwagtail1.jpg

yh5b.jpg

Nice thread ... lots of nice wildlife about now, including robins eyeing one up from 3 feet in garden ...