Bazzer

Twitchers Thread

Super Wammer

DSCF0648.thumb.jpg.0b70adb9e4e8f34d468013e72a96afa8.jpg

First one to sit still all day.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

A rarity - piebald goldfinch.

33919298648_d884a6848a_o.jpgPiebald Goldfinch by Tillman Kleinhans  ARPS EFIAP/b  DPAGB BPE3*, on Flickr

Canon 1D4 + 400L f5.6,  1/800 @ f5.6,  ISO1600   raw.

• Like 5

Super Wammer
57 minutes ago, tkimages said:

A rarity - piebald goldfinch.

What a beauty. When I was a kid our neighbour bred canary / finch crosses and had one in the house similar to this but with a paler body he thought it was ugly but the best singer he'd ever bred. An interesting household his wife was the local bookies runner before legalised off- course betting the local copper ( my uncle) often found cause to drop in on a Saturday afternoon 'on business' .

On 14/05/2019 at 19:32, unintended1 said:

Red Kite. What a bird!

46934050595_6b77dc99b6_h.jpg

Red Kite by Keith M, on Flickr

Superb capture Keith. We have loads of them round here, but I've never yet managed to get a good picture.

On a different note, I cursed not having the camera close at hand yesterday, because I looked out of the kitchen window and there was a sparrow hawk having a splash in our pond. Not sure whether to be pleased or not. We've got bluetits and robins nesting in the garden, though if it slims down the wood pigeon numbers I won't be too  unhappy.

• Like 1

Thanks guys :)

There are a lot of red kites around here as well. Not that many years ago I'd never seen one but since the Chiltern reintroduction program they have flourished and spread widely throughout the country. The leaflet on this page is interesting http://publications.naturalengland.org.uk/publication/84009

I hate it when that happens Rabski. Still, I bet it was a pleasure to witness one like that. I've never seen one bathing. 

4 minutes ago, unintended1 said:

Thanks guys :)

There are a lot of red kites around here as well. Not that many years ago I'd never seen one but since the Chiltern reintroduction program they have flourished and spread widely throughout the country. The leaflet on this page is interesting http://publications.naturalengland.org.uk/publication/84009

I hate it when that happens Rabski. Still, I bet it was a pleasure to witness one like that. I've never seen one bathing. 

I've never had one that close before, though I've seen a few around in the local woodland. We get loads of wood pigeons here and in the early morning pre-coffee phase, it looked like a young one. Gave me a hell of a surprise when it turned round and I saw the eyes and beak! The bluetits and robins still are still feeding and it looks as though they missed any unwanted attention. Nothing could get at the blutits, as they're nesting in the gap at the top of a brick pillar under a balcony. I don't know where the robins are, but the relatively tame parent was happily by the end of my trowel while I was doing some weeding this morning and kept coming back for more bits of earthworm, so it seems all is well.

The kites are amazing. They've become much more urban dwellers around here, and it's not unusual to see ten or more together above the town. Glad we don't have any small pets these days...

7 hours ago, rabski said:

I looked out of the kitchen window and there was a sparrow hawk...

...sitting on the garden cabin , I watched him for a bit but the moment I walked into the conservatory he spooked . A swallow visited in the week flying low , can't remember one actually in the garden before anyway next morning two appeared flying in and out of the cabin , real estate hunting , one part of me said it would be nice but the other part thought no as we and the dog use or sit in front of the cabin and them swallows jetting in at head height :S

We have a large pond in front of the house - getting on for an acre of water - so there is always plenty of wildlife activity to be seen, even if it is only the ubiquitous mallards, which regularly raise broods around the pond. This morning, a heron was posing particularly nicely, so I took a few pics before I got too close and frightened it off - also one of the wigeon drake that has been visiting us regularly for a couple of weeks - he seems to be happy to hang out with the mallards.

DSC_0238_00001 DSC_0244_00001 DSC_0245_00001 DSC_0248_00001 DSC_0258_00001
  • Like 8

Keep the piccies coming lads they are brilliant - well done.:^