Sign in to follow this  
hifinut

Ref ProAc Response 1S Clone CD Hi-Fi Hi-END Speaker

Sorry to revive this old thread but I'm considering some budget speakers to go with my bedroom SB3 set-up. Needs to be cheap, c£300 so I'm even willing to get my hands dirty and DIY. Anyone tried the ProAc 1SC clones?

Obviously, the new factory made ProAcs are seriously gorgeous... :P

JJ

I've not heard a clone sound anything like a factory unit, but then the internet army seem to forget that the drive units are different to the ones they are buying in most cases..

Tune wrote:

I've not heard a clone sound anything like a factory unit, but then the internet army seem to forget that the drive units are different to the ones they are buying in most cases..

I thought the ScanSpeak and SEAS drivers were readily available?

Also there seems to be some people who get Fostex speakers, bung them in an enclosure and call it their own brand of speakers?!

JJ

jonjin wrote:

I thought the ScanSpeak and SEAS drivers were readily available?

Everyone does JJ,

I've got some Proac drive units here that say SEAS Excel - but the voice coils are wound differently to suit this particular unit's requirements. The latest Hexa towers use hand doped drivers. It's not always the case, but on most of the modern units, the drivers themselves are specced by Stewart. The new crossover boards are also of a sandwich construction to disguise the topology.

Super Wammer

yup everyone does it, Pro-Ac, Opera, PMC, Ruark, Wilson Benesch, Totem, Sonus Faber to name a few all use well known makes of drive units, namely Seas and Scanspeak.

Fostex full rangers are used in quite a few branded speakers.

also, there are loads of designs on the web, for clones for Pro-Ac and Sonus Faber.

:)