Sign in to follow this  
Guest User211

What Systems Did You Actually Most Enjoy Hearing?

Guest User211

Well, that was a good event. Respect to all those who lugged their kit to and from the place of hi-fi worship.

But what systems did you most enjoy hearing? Did the ones you wanted to hear live up to your expectations?

I know I really liked a few systems. But I'll say more later, as I am a bit whacked after a 2:45 minute drive.

BIG BIG thanks to all who lugged their equipment, this show just gets better and better. the snells all sounded good in several rooms, living voice especially papa`s room was very special . best music was DR Rock`s apogee`s, could have stayed in there all day long......

Well like last year I had a terrific day at the show and would like to express my thanks and admiration for all the organisers, exhibitors and helpers. An outstanding effort from all of you - and I sincerely hope it was justified by the attendance:).

Heres some thoughts on the rooms I visited (and can remember).

Like last year I immediately headed upstairs from the lobby to the Somersby room where this year Mark (browellm) had his Avantgarde Uno system playing. They brought back memories of my WLM Diva's with their incredible speed and immediacy, though with the bonus of a richer bottom end. I listened for about 15 minutes but wasn't totally blown away, though I didn't hear any music that I was familiar with, so I decided to come back later. I went back at about 2.00pm and listened some more and was particularly impressed with a nice acoustic track (can't remember the guys name) and then had a chat to Mark (I'd notified him of the Uno's availability) and had a look at his Ipad playlist and chose a PJ Harvey / Thom Yorke colloabration which sounded superb - vocals especially were fixed in their acoustic space in a really convincing fashion.

Next was Rabski's room - LP12, Quad ESL's and lovely Jadis power amps. Sweet, transparent and detailed - again I didn't hear anything I was familiar with so can't be too dogmatic.

Had a quck visit to Dr Rock and his classic 80's system, Krell, Audio Reserach and Apogees (I really think he should seek out a nice older Wadia (6, 16, 21 etc) to complete the set-up:). As with his room last year he had the blue lighting in full operation:cool: Lovely transparent sound but with a bit of added warmth - lovely.

My first surprise of the day was my next stop - Phil (beeroclock) and his Bastians and Avid turntable. Had never seen or heard the Bastians before (or anything similar tbh) but was very impressed. Full bodied and lush (big side firing bass drivers?) but with very nice tone and good attack. Phil kindly played a track off my 10,000 Maniacs LP. The Avid / Lyra:love: did a sterling job and the sound actually reminded me a lot of my own system (not sure if thats a compliment or not). The room was a very similar shape to, though ultimately bigger, than my own. Phil seemed to think there were some bass issues in the room which may explain why it sounded similar to mine as I'm sure I have similar problems. I went back in the afternoon for another listen which confirmed the above analysis to my ears.

Then went back downstairs and paid my first visit to JVS's room -went back for a 2nd helping in the afternoon. Big room, big amps:love:, big speakers and tiny CD. The volume was pretty loud and the bass was very full and firm - really hit you in the chest:shock:. The soundstage was fabulous as well, and initially it sounded amazing, but after two visits and various different tracks for me the bass always seemed to be a bit too dominant - I could imagine this system being at home in the Ministry Of Sound:shock:. Thats really damning the system with faint praise as what it does well it does as well as anything I've heard and if it tickles your particular fancy then theres little to beat it - it's just not entirely my cup of tea:(.

Then went down the corridor and tried to hear Phils (papa lazarou) system - the room was heaving and I could only stand near the door, so after a minute or two I decided I'd try again later. My next attempt even failed to get me inside the door:X, but eventually I got in later in the afternoon and sat in the best seat in the room. I've heard Phils system at his home so knew I liked it enormously, but this just reaffirmed that love:love:. Phil played an Orbital LP(?) which is not my usual thing, and the sound was just fabluous. It somehow manages to be fast and uber transparent, with great imaging and detail, and yet also sounds rich and full bodied at the same time - the chap next to me wondered where the bass was coming from:cool:.

Phil then popped out and I asked his helper Tons Of Fun? to play a Dinosaur Jr track (Get Me). Judging by his behaviour during this 6 minutes I'm sure that if he had had a suicide capsule on his person he would have happily taken it several times during that track - sorry mate:doh: I loved it though:D

Next stop was Paul (earlofsodbury) room. A very small room but some lovely glowing amps and a really clean punchy sound from the Triangle speakers. I'm sure they could have done with a bit more room between them and the listening area but it was still impressive and he even brought back some happy memories by playing Slint - Spiderland, hadn't heard that for about 20 years:shock:.

Next it was over the courtyard to the Rutland room and Danny (Duvet). Avid, Unison Research and Kharma's. Beautiful looking and sounding set-up, even with the Dad Rock he was playing:D

Definitely the most neutral system I heard all day, just does everything right with nothing missing:^. Again I didn't hear anything I really knew that well but I remember him playing a Stevie Ray Vaughn track? (guitar solo thing) which sounded impeccable. I went back again later in the afternoon and heard some more nice tunes including a Beth Orton track which was a real stunner. Would have been nice to have played one of my LP's just to be totally familiar, but overall a stonkingly good system. The only question I have is how does a scruffy, skinhead Cockney wearing a hoodie afford such luxuries:P:P:P Only joking bedspread - please don't ban me:zip:

Then to the Cottesmore Room where Adam (Beobloke) was doing his bit for the local recycling centre with a selection of 1970's Japanese Hifi and a pair of Leak Speakers. Sounded very smooth and refined - and brought back memories of my dad's old system.

Next stop was Jon (JonR) and his small room with the tiny Harbeth speakers and Nait 2 with a couple of lovely turntables. Would have loved to hear the Xerxes20 but the Linn LP12 was in operation wehn I visited and even Michael Jackson was sounding good - first time I've ever said that:P

Up the stairs to the first floor and my next stop was Stuart (Russ Abbot) and his classic 80's Voyd, AI500 / Snell system - bargain of the century as well:shock:. Again it was making very pleasant sounds in a small room.

Then onto Henry (cable monkey)and his Jazz / Soul dominated room. This is not the sort of music I ever listen to or buy (wouldn't know where to start:oops:), but I absolutely loved it. The little Proacs were sounding very refined and the modded AR/ PU7 when playing some Italian jazz/soul? was quite spell binding:^

Next stop was Oldfogey (sorry didn't get the first name) and what an absolute delight that was:). I had been wanting to hear the Neat MFS's for ages, as these are top of my speaker wish list, which 'Oldfogey' knew so he basically acted like he was my dealer (hifi, not drugs - I already have a dealer for those;-)) and gave me a full demo and boy they didn't dissapoint. My Dinosaur Jr track may not have been everyones cup of tea but it sounded fabulous. If he ever wants to change them he know where to come. The ATC amp is very similar to my Perreaux - heavily biased into Class 'A' for the first 10 watts or so, but plenty of power on tap, so a pair of MFS's are likely to be my next major purchase. Thanks Oldfogey (dosen't seem right calling you that all the time:nup:)

Then popped into Deans (SCIDB) and like with Henry, another dose of great tunes that I wouldn't normally listen to. I can't remember what the 'surprise' speakers were but it was sounding very together and foot-tapping as a system. * Edit: IIRC the 'surprise' speakers were Living Voice Avatar OBX's

A quick pop in to Colin (dudywoxer) and his Rega, Spendor set-up. Lovely smooth easy going sound - clean and detailed but not clinical.

Next door (I knew from the sound leakage even before I left Colins room:shock:) was OB1 and his gorgoeus Sonus Fabers and McIntosh amp, fed by a Yamaha digital server and Trivista DAC? Loud (well it's OB1:roll:), clean and dynamic - totally uncompressed. The speakers would, I'm sure, have benefitted from more space (they were well into the corners of a fairly small room) but there was no soggy bass or overblown midrange.

A brief trip to the 2nd floor found Jerry (JANDL100) and his mix'n'match system playing some 'unfamiliar' tunes. Wasn't entirely what speakers were playing at the time so given the uncertainty it's hard to comment.

Finally Paul (Paul55) and his laptop / ATC active system. Coffee and sweets on offer too which was nice. The ATC's were sounding very nice - powerful, clean and dynamic but not overly clinical as I had feared.:^

I'm sure I visited more rooms but thats all I can remember right now.

Guest sq225917

I was impressed with the sound nearly everyone was making, they were all each in their own way very good, though people were obviously shooting for considerably different ideas of 'hi fidelity'

The one room that really knocked me off my socks was Pauls with the ATC- Buffalo/Twisted Pair set-up. He was playing Yello when I went in and I've simply never heard a hifi effervesce in the way his did the music was simply jumping and popping right out of the speakers. I was very taken by the sound, effortless.

Guest User211

Great report, Uncle...

For me, the biggest polariser were the Quads. On the one hand, the One Thing Quad 57s with the ribbon tweeters in Rabski's room driven by the Jadis amps were beyond belief good for the type of material being played on them. I think the ribbon tweeter cured the possibly rolled off top that can be experienced with these. But the 63s being driven by the Unisys amp in a tiny room certainly need some loving attention to put them back together again. For me, the 63s were possibly the biggest disappoitment. They need refurbishing. Yesterday. Last year. Ten years ago. Twenty years ago. Somebody do it please.:)

I wish I was around circa 57-63. Every time I hear 57s they just slaughter 63s. It is like someone designed one of the best speakers of all time, and then it got messed beyond belief with revison 2 i.e. the 63s.

I will, however, never know how they both sounded when they were new. Some of the older guys will know, though. If you do, please step in with some thoughts...:geek::^

For me BeoBlokes system stole the show, it sounded balanced , tunefull and revealing, loved it. The best of his three systems I've heard at Scalford.

I also loved Gromit's system those Royds punched well above their weight.

Other systems that stuck in my mind, Earl of Sodbury's, OldFogey's, Technobears and Meninblack's.

The Big DIY horns and valve systems didn't float my boat but hey each to their own.

A big thank you to the all the organisers and exhibitors I had a wonderful day, a real heart warming event and man was it busy this year.

I'm sure UnclePuncle mentioned me somewhere, but now I can't find it (must be the beer) Something about a Wadia...not sure which one?

Yeah, I know, it's on the list for improvements...:)

Your not going mad Dr Rock - I just moved the long review I did to the 2channel section.

I thought the overall quality of all the systems was high and better than many commercial shows.

I can't remember hearing a bad system or even a mediocre one. There were some that are not my cup of char but they did what they do well. It would probably be unfair to highlight one system but a few I liked were Jim Smith's system which flourished in the larger room, Phils system (despite its hiccups), all the Snells I heard, OB1s set up was excellent and would have really worked better in a larger room, and then there was.......:cool::cool::cool::cool: Guys take a bow..

Most rooms had something to commend them but standouts for me was Rabski's, beautiful, clear and highly musical, playing 'The Duke and the King' CD - excellent.

Really liked Lyndsayt room and in particular the story behind the acquisition of the gear. The EMT was fantastic and far more elegant in the flesh than photos I've seen - wonderful full-bodied sound.:love:

Jim's room ( JVS ) was amazing - at first listen I thought it rather overblown but the second visit revealed it to be very dynamic, musical and visceral. Both CD and vinyl sounded very good.

Phil ( Beeroclock ) - Really liked this room - not immediately apparent how good this sounded but after 5 minutes ( I think he was playing Gerry Rafferty on vinyl ) I was totally smitten.

Dr Rock's room was excellent. Big, high-end American amps and some wonderful speakers - I could have spent a lot longer in here. First time I'd heard a Krell amp properly and was surprised how refined and coherent this sounded. The speakers in particular were a pleasure to listen to ( I'm guessing Dr Rock knows a thing ot two about system synergy ).

Oldfogey - wonderful sounding and well integrated pieces - I expected the ATC amp to be dry and analytical but on the contrary, definitely one of the sweetest sounding set-ups, I'm sure in no small part to the Neat MFS speakers:cool:

Rob ( hoopsontoast ) a modest system making some great sounds - Kord speakers were great.

Alec Hodgson - a £12.00 Marantz front end fed into some amazing sounding Castles Winchesters. Great taste in music:^ and loved the 'room treatment'.

Lodgesound ( Art of sound? ) Truly lovely Nagra reel-to-reel:love: feeding some serious looking valve amps and some wonderful sounding and battered looking speakers - big Rogers.

I did find after about 4 hours I couldn't really listen subjectively any more - ah well, roll on next year!:)

• Upvote 1

first time at show, will definetly be back in future years. so many fine and varied systems. I was really blown away by many of the older kit and some of the laptop driven newer kit.

Adams (Beobloke) seventies system was so smooth and easy. Those leaks were good

alechodgson Castle Windsorswere fun andbouncy

sergeauckland Digital donewell with good puchy bass

Pauls with the ATC- Buffalo/Twisted Pair set-up, agree with SQ225917, Superb

many more were great

thanks to everyone.

Dr Rock's room was excellent. Big, high-end American amps and some wonderful speakers - I could have spent a lot longer in here. First time I'd heard a Krell amp properly and was surprised how refined and coherent this sounded. The speakers in particular were a pleasure to listen to ( I'm guessing Dr Rock knows a thing ot two about system synergy ).

:rofl: I know naff all about any of this, but thankyou! All I based my system build on was "Well it all seemed OK back in the '80's so I guess it must still work now"

Always room for improvement, but glad to make people smile on the day and here's to next year!

Rabski with his Quads and Jadis - such a natural unforced sound.

Dr Rock and the Apogees - lovely sound and the lighting was good too.

Serge Auckland - nice to hear what modern technology can deliver - and a remote quiet room.

And everyone else for putting in so much more effort than you see at commercial shows.

Dr Rock and the Apogees - lovely sound and the lighting was good too.

Thankyou! The lighting is what I have in my music room: it's nothing special for the show, not trying to 'make a show or anything like that' (just in case anyone thought that...)