JamPal

Newbie Intro's

Super Wammer
29 minutes ago, savvypaul said:

You've just made Tony's point for him...

:doh:

No, I haven't. I pointed out that he lives in a place where he is not part of the mainstream community, therefore anything he does he knows he will have to make an extra effort, whereas there are many many people living in the south who have to make the trip up north (as they see it, I know it's the midlands). Events have always been tilted towards the bigger majority, but outliers always have to make the extra effort or they won't be able to to take part in anything.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Speedracer said:

No, I haven't. I pointed out that he lives in a place where he is not part of the mainstream community, therefore anything he does he knows he will have to make an extra effort, whereas there are many many people living in the south who have to make the trip up north (as they see it, I know it's the midlands). Events have always been tilted towards the bigger majority, but outliers always have to make the extra effort or they won't be able to to take part in anything.

You pointed out how much further he has to travel.

You then point out that outliers must expect to travel further.

South of London is an outlier for most of the UK.

It makes no sense to have the majority of attendees travel further, especially if it involved crawling around the M25, in order to please the minority of attendees.

If you choose to live in an area that serves warm beer with no head...then you deserve no mercy ;)

Edited by savvypaul
  • Haha 4

Super Wammer

in all seriousness when Peter this year explained to us on Sunday just how many hotels he approached to get a venue that would accept our lot - this is the challenge and most gave a flat NO

from an organiser's POV knowing Melton / Kegworth he could gauge how many paying visitors he could expect, moving to an outlier location introduces a big risk

not sure that as a visitor, living in what could be described as the heartland of the 'wam that I would drive 5 hours each way to a south coast show

• Upvote 1

Of course, the point everyone misses when this issue comes up is that someone has to actually organise the show, and in particular, locate a venue that is both suitable for purpose and will put up with a bunch of loonies taking it over for a weekend, humpming vast quantities of equipment in and out, moving furniture and generally causing mayhem. Peter to his lasting credit managed to find the Kegworth hotel, and it works very well for us. However, such venues are rarer than the proverbial rocking horse manure. I'm sure if anyone else were to fess up to the legwork involved in finding a new venue that fits the requirements, Peter would be happy to consider using it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

Of course, the point everyone misses when this issue comes up is that someone has to actually organise the show, and in particular, locate a venue that is both suitable for purpose and will put up with a bunch of loonies :Dtaking it over for a weekend, humpming vast quantities of equipment in and out, moving furniture and generally causing mayhem. Peter to his lasting credit managed to find the Kegworth hotel, and it works very well for us. However, such venues are rarer than the proverbial rocking horse manure. I'm sure if anyone else were to fess up to the legwork involved in finding a new venue that fits the requirements, Peter would be happy to consider using it.

Are there no Hotels on Mull who could put up “a bunch of loonies?”. If The UEFA Football league can organise a final between Two London clubs in Azerbaijan, then I’m sure as a resident of Mull, you could sort something :whistle:.

• Haha 4

On 07/06/2019 at 17:15, Tony_J said:

Welcome back, Jules!

Thank you Tony, Lurch and all. I see some things don't change much around here! I said "hello" , and suddenly it all kicks off over the north / south divide!! :D:D:D:D:D I've missed reading all the banter... I shall check out the upcoming bake-offs - don't mind travelling so they don't have to be right on the doorstep, although Chi is only just down the road anyway.

Keeping an eye out on the classifieds for anything that takes my fancy. No rush, I've lived with what I've got for years so happy to bide my time.

Cheers all!

Jules

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
52 minutes ago, Jules_S said:

Thank you Tony, Lurch and all. I see some things don't change much around here! I said "hello" , and suddenly it all kicks off over the north / south divide!! :D:D:D:D:D I've missed reading all the banter... I shall check out the upcoming bake-offs - don't mind travelling so they don't have to be right on the doorstep, although Chi is only just down the road anyway.

Keeping an eye out on the classifieds for anything that takes my fancy. No rush, I've lived with what I've got for years so happy to bide my time.

Cheers all!

Jules

the show is a must, shaping up to be a full hotel this year (another hotel nearby so rooms for sleeping are not an issue)