JamPal

Newbie Intro's

Hi, I am Gabor from Hungary. As you can see in my profile, I am crazy about Rega devices. I think Rega is one of the best (IMO the best) for strings (viola de gamba, chello, etc.) and maybe for human voices.

I like very much the historical baroque music (XVII-XVIII century), acoustic jazz, folk music, but not infrequently :D I listen to good old blues and rock songs, too.

Thank you for the opportunity to be here (and do not hesitate to correct my poor English, please :notworthy:).

Welcome to the Wam Gabor have a good time here & your english is better than quite a few

yorkies just as it is :P

ftfy Steve ;-)

ftfy Steve ;-)

I'll have you know that we can speak two languages, English and Yorkshire. :P

Good to have you here, Gabor.

Hi Max and welcome.

Sounds like you've got the right idea, music, music and more music..... :D

I am Han from the Netherlands and use all UK audiogear.

I love my LFD with MM amp integrated in same box and Harbeths and play a lot of rock/fusion jazz LP's from the seventies ;-)

Now I am trying out my just bought/used ExposureXXXV; different sound but also pretty good.

No MM board sadly, looking for a used one, so.....

Hello, everyone!

I'm Walter, an 18-year-old student from the UK. I'm a relatively established member on head-fi.org by the name of BucketInABucket and a relatively new member on DiYAudio under the same name and audiokarma under BucketBucket, as they don't allow more than 12 characters...

I've been stuck in the world of audio since I was young because of my Dad and his Rogers LS3/5As and Krell KAV 300i, but I never really appreciated just how famous his speakers were until a few months ago when I randomly asked just what those speakers in the living room are. I dived into the headphone world a while ago because of his influence and have been forced to stick with it for some time because I used to travel frequently. I love the look of old vintage much more than I do the ones now and I really respect the engineering which went into the old units so eventually, I started toying around with old planar magnetic cans and so far, it's been a blast.

I'm relatively new to vintage speaker audio as I'm moving to the UK and will finally have a solid place to stay so I decided to start playing around this side of the fence too, having picked up a Harman Kardon 930 and a Rotel RX-802 as well as a nice pair of KEF Model 104aBs. It's a totally different world, but I hope to become as comfortable with this part of audio as I am with headphones. Nice to meet you all and I hope to have fun with you guys!

Super Wammer

Hi folks, I too am a newbie to HiFi Wigwam. Have been hanging out on AVForums for a while under the same name, arb70sok. Eclectic taste in music. Like most things: Classical (Gorecki), Gospel, RnB, Jazz, Funk, Disco, Prog Rock, Punk. Huge gap in my musical knowledge from mid 80's to current day. Afraid got too busy with job, family etc, etc and music got rather squeezed out. Slowly getting back into it in later years and really enjoying some modern stuff. Think London Grammar are awesome. Struggling to come to terms with the fact they are only slightly older than my kids but there you go.

Mostly listen through Sonos at the moment, using connect90 digital out to AudioLab 8200CDQ and thence via Maraschino cherry mono blocs (which I suspect no one has heard of) to DALI Rubicon 2's. I am currently toying with the idea of investing in some more expensive kit but am very aware of my complete ignorance regarding most things HiFi so am hoping to pick up a bit of insight and knowledge on here. I love the whole idea of Bake Off's. What a fantastic way to gain knowledge and experience of a broader range of gear. Already signed up for my first and can't wait!

Well impressed with BuckInABucket's post. Sounds like he knows much more about it than me! I presume planar magnetic cans are some sort of headphone?

Hello, everyone!

I'm Walter, an 18-year-old student from the UK. I'm a relatively established member on head-fi.org by the name of BucketInABucket and a relatively new member on DiYAudio under the same name and audiokarma under BucketBucket, as they don't allow more than 12 characters...

I've been stuck in the world of audio since I was young because of my Dad and his Rogers LS3/5As and Krell KAV 300i, but I never really appreciated just how famous his speakers were until a few months ago when I randomly asked just what those speakers in the living room are. I dived into the headphone world a while ago because of his influence and have been forced to stick with it for some time because I used to travel frequently. I love the look of old vintage much more than I do the ones now and I really respect the engineering which went into the old units so eventually, I started toying around with old planar magnetic cans and so far, it's been a blast.

I'm relatively new to vintage speaker audio as I'm moving to the UK and will finally have a solid place to stay so I decided to start playing around this side of the fence too, having picked up a Harman Kardon 930 and a Rotel RX-802 as well as a nice pair of KEF Model 104aBs. It's a totally different world, but I hope to become as comfortable with this part of audio as I am with headphones. Nice to meet you all and I hope to have fun with you guys!

Get stuck in.

Great to have a young whippersnapper here. :D

Hi folks, I too am a newbie to HiFi Wigwam. Have been hanging out on AVForums for a while under the same name, arb70sok. Eclectic taste in music. Like most things: Classical (Gorecki), Gospel, RnB, Jazz, Funk, Disco, Prog Rock, Punk. Huge gap in my musical knowledge from mid 80's to current day. Afraid got too busy with job, family etc, etc and music got rather squeezed out. Slowly getting back into it in later years and really enjoying some modern stuff. Think London Grammar are awesome. Struggling to come to terms with the fact they are only slightly older than my kids but there you go.

Mostly listen through Sonos at the moment, using connect90 digital out to AudioLab 8200CDQ and thence via Maraschino cherry mono blocs (which I suspect no one has heard of) to DALI Rubicon 2's. I am currently toying with the idea of investing in some more expensive kit but am very aware of my complete ignorance regarding most things HiFi so am hoping to pick up a bit of insight and knowledge on here. I love the whole idea of Bake Off's. What a fantastic way to gain knowledge and experience of a broader range of gear. Already signed up for my first and can't wait!

Well impressed with BuckInABucket's post. Sounds like he knows much more about it than me! I presume planar magnetic cans are some sort of headphone?

You're right about the Maraschino monoblocks, please tell us more.

And signed up for your first bake off already..... :notworthy:

Welcome, both of you. :^

A belated hello to you all. I already made several posts before discovering this section.... Doh.

Currently bringing my old HiFi back to life with lots of helpful advice from you guys.

Super Wammer

You're right about the Maraschino monoblocks, please tell us more.

To get the general idea probably best direct you to Digital Amplifier Company (very confusingly DAC!) website, if I am allowed to do that.

http://www.cherryamp.com/#!king-desktop-maraschino/c1pfh

This link is to the 60V "King" version of the Maraschino cherry.

Mine are not the "King" version meaning they do not have the DC snake power cables or the gold speaker binding posts.

They no longer seem to offer a non King version at 60V.

Other than that specs pretty much as website. I have the rather attractive cherry red ones.

They have good WAF (wife acceptance factor - term plagiarised from post on other HiFi site - might even have been here?) not being to big, bulky or unattractive.

When a channel went down on my ancient AudioLab 8000a, I replaced it with 8200CDQ and 8200P. However I got a bit hot and bothered about the hum coming from the toroidal on the 8200P so went looking(google) for something that advertised itself as quiet in every respect. I stumbled upon these and bought them blind (as they are from states and demo was not a viable option).

So far I have been happy with them. They are indeed quiet and if you crank volume on the preamp up as far as goes with no source signal nay a whisper can be heard from the Rubicons with my ear right to them. The separate power supplies are also completely silent. So they behave as advertised. However they were also more than 3x the cost of the 8200P and I had to pay import tax too. Will post a photo of mine up when I get a moment.

Hi

Just joined the Forum :)

Wondering if I can ask for some advice on my present system. I have a Quad Vena and i'm thinking of possibly adding a power amp.

Would like it to have the same footprint as the Quad. The Quad puts out about 50 wpc so the Power Amp would hopefully be around the same output

Any suggestions more than welcome.

Reagrds

Ian

Hello All,

Newbie originally from London but now living in NYC. Signed up here as I recently heard Dave Brubeck Quartet - Take Five on what I think was a really nice system, so now I'm on the hunt for my setup!

Sandeep

Hello All,

Newbie originally from London but now living in NYC. Signed up here as I recently heard Dave Brubeck Quartet - Take Five on what I think was a really nice system, so now I'm on the hunt for my setup!

Sandeep

Do you like Donald Trump?

Hello All,

Sandeep

Welcome!

Best of luck in your hunt!