JamPal

Newbie Intro's

3,983 posts in this topic

Super Wammer

welcome, you may find this forum a little different ;-)

I'm guessing that you may find that a lot of members here use UK made equipment, not because we are especially patriotic, but from a practical point of view that servicing & repairs are easier. There are notable exceptions however such as cartridges.

You have a very interesting system, my guess is that if you lived in the UK you'd have wammers bearing cakes beating a path to your door :)

Well, I actually met a British guy named David a couple of years ago. But he wasn't the army type and not married either if i recall correctly. ;)

Give me a couple of days warning to stuff all my childrens toys into another room to make room for a visitor and you are welcome any time!

Hello

I have been lurking without posting for many years and as I'm about to list some items for sale I though it would be polite to introduce myself. Like many others on this site I've been into hifi for quiet some time, my wife would say obsessive, but I guess there are worse hobbies to have. Music both recorded and live are my passion and I've spent some years trying to replicate the impact of a gig.

However small children have got between me and my music for the last few years and hence my system has sat in the corner gathering dust. However as they are now a bit bigger I've had a bit more time to myself and have had some time to get back into it.

Unfortunately on turning the system back on one of the amps went somewhat crazy resulting in two blown woofers. Whilst getting the amps and speakers fixed it's actually led me to replace most of the kit and as above I'm going to be listing some of the items I no longer need.

At this point in time I have sort of two systems which are

1 Bladelius Embala, Nuvista 800, Art Audio Signature

Then the second system I'm in the process of putting together:

2 B&W 800 Diamond, Advantage pre, Musical Fidelity M8700 monos. I'm about to start demoing some Dacs and if anyone has any recommendations on this that'd be great. I will probably replace the advantage pre, but want to get the DAC sorted first. I'm not massively interested in hi res due to the amount of music I like being available in hi res and I'm about to start streaming Tidal and back up all of my CD's onto a NAS drive. Hence choice of DAC will be based on one that can make CD's sound good.

The other kit I have and need to get around to listing and selling are a MK1 Rel Stentor & Pro-Ac Response 4 speakers. Both are big and ugly hence I'm expecting they'll be hard to sell! I also have the advantage amps which are currently under repair/upgrade. When I finally get them back and see how they sound I'll decide what to do with them.

As above if anyone has any thoughts on DAC's I'd love to hear them.

Dan

Hello

I have been lurking without posting for many years and as I'm about to list some items for sale I though it would be polite to introduce myself. Like many others on this site I've been into hifi for quiet some time, my wife would say obsessive, but I guess there are worse hobbies to have. Music both recorded and live are my passion and I've spent some years trying to replicate the impact of a gig.

However small children have got between me and my music for the last few years and hence my system has sat in the corner gathering dust. However as they are now a bit bigger I've had a bit more time to myself and have had some time to get back into it.

Unfortunately on turning the system back on one of the amps went somewhat crazy resulting in two blown woofers. Whilst getting the amps and speakers fixed it's actually led me to replace most of the kit and as above I'm going to be listing some of the items I no longer need.

At this point in time I have sort of two systems which are

1 Bladelius Embala, Nuvista 800, Art Audio Signature

Then the second system I'm in the process of putting together:

2 B&W 800 Diamond, Advantage pre, Musical Fidelity M8700 monos. I'm about to start demoing some Dacs and if anyone has any recommendations on this that'd be great. I will probably replace the advantage pre, but want to get the DAC sorted first. I'm not massively interested in hi res due to the amount of music I like being available in hi res and I'm about to start streaming Tidal and back up all of my CD's onto a NAS drive. Hence choice of DAC will be based on one that can make CD's sound good.

The other kit I have and need to get around to listing and selling are a MK1 Rel Stentor & Pro-Ac Response 4 speakers. Both are big and ugly hence I'm expecting they'll be hard to sell! I also have the advantage amps which are currently under repair/upgrade. When I finally get them back and see how they sound I'll decide what to do with them.

As above if anyone has any thoughts on DAC's I'd love to hear them.

Dan

Hi Dan, music lovers are very welcome here.

The query on DACs will probably get more of a response in 2 channel:-

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/forumdisplay.php?22-2-Channel-Debate

Advising a budget too would help us help you.

Good luck in your mission.

Cheers

Steve

Hello all.

A newbie from New Hampshire, USA. I have been in this hobby (addiction) since the early 70's. Looking forward to gaining some more knowledge!

Cheers!

Hello all.

A newbie from New Hampshire, USA. I have been in this hobby (addiction) since the early 70's. Looking forward to gaining some more knowledge!

Cheers!

Welcome in Greg, always good to hear from the other side of the pond.

How are the fall colours over there?

The trees here are just turning beautifully, although quite late this year.

Cheers

Steve

Welcome in Greg, always good to hear from the other side of the pond.

How are the fall colours over there?

The trees here are just turning beautifully, although quite late this year.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

Fall foliage was extra special this year with the most vibrant colours in decades. It has been very windy here so more than half of the leaves are on the ground now.

Best regards,

Greg

Super Wammer
Hi Steve,

Fall foliage was extra special this year with the most vibrant colours in decades. It has been very windy here so more than half of the leaves are on the ground now.

Best regards,

Greg

It's not that windy here, so most of the autumn colour is now ankle deep in the garden, as we have a couple of VERY large trees!

Welcome to the nuthouse Greg.

That's a really nicely-matched system you've got. Don't be tempted by the traps we all lay to make you spend fortunes!

Frankly, that's close to ideal IMHO. Lovely.

Hi Steve,

Best regards,

Greg

:)

Hey up from Berkshire, UK!

Thought I'd sign up and say hello as I've got a mad passion for both serious hi-fi, 80's hi fi and more than anything, music!

Also mad on photography and classic film cameras from the 80's but that's another addiction.... And motorbikes. Too many hobbies!

Back to the main subject anyway. I've got a few systems knocking about, collected over the years.

My main/serious system is as follows:

Cyrus CD8SE (updated)

Cyrus Pre XPd Qx

Cyrus DAB 8.0

Cyrus PSX-R

Cyrus 8 Power

Sonos Connect

B&W 684s

Cyrus Tri-Arbour

Chord interconnects and speaker cables

I like it but I don't love it, does sound good but it doesn't make me want to listen for ages and ages. Never really worked out why, but it just doesn't do it for me. Suggestions on a postcard please!

I've got the following set up for TV and movie viewing:

Sony KDL-40X2000 LCD TV (bit old now but I love it and it doesn't have a stupid reflective screen like they all seem to these days.)

Denon AVR2807 Receiver

Mede8er MED400X2S (media player fed by networked ReadyNas)

Sony PS3 (Very rare movie and gaming duties)

JVC HR-S8700 SVHS (for nostalgic movie nights)

Sonos Connect

Audica CS System 1 speakers

Have a few Sonos Play 5s dotted around the house for bedroom/kitchen listening and parties too.

Then in the sitting room I also have a bit of an oldie but nonetheless interesting:

Marantz CD273 (utterly mint and picked up for £30 on eBay)

JVC AX-70 (an amp I had as a kid and one came up on eBay for £70, fairly mint so I had to have it)

Bose AM5 (always wanted a set when they were released in the late 80s, again found a mint set for £100 on ebay)

I've got to say, I love this retro set up and can't stop listening to it, unlike my Cyrus/B&W set up, which I can take or leave. Who knew a £200 eBay system would be massively more enjoyable than a near enough £5,000 'hi-fi' system? Hilarious!

Have a Denon DP37F turntable coming with a new Denon DL110 to go with this system, or maybe to go on the Cyrus from time to time too (will need to get a phono pre-amp).

Next I'm going to build a heavyweight 80s Japanese system with a more than controversial speaker system, but will reveal more on this as the plan develops. ;-) Good to meet you all!

Cheers

Sam

Hey up from Berkshire, UK! Thought I'd sign up and say hello as I've got a mad passion for both serious hi-fi, 80's hi fi and more than anything, music!

Also mad on photography and classic film cameras from the 80's but that's another addiction.... And motorbikes. Too many hobbies!

Back to the main subject anyway. I've got a few systems knocking about, collected over the years.

My main/serious system is as follows:

Cyrus CD8SE (updated)

Cyrus Pre XPd Qx

Cyrus DAB 8.0

Cyrus PSX-R

Cyrus 8 Power

B&W 684s

Cyrus Tri-Arbour

Chord interconnects and speaker cables

I like it but I don't love it, does sound good but it doesn't make me want to listen for ages and ages. Never really worked out why, but it just doesn't do it for me. Suggestions on a postcard please!

I've got the following set up for TV and movie viewing:

Sony KDL-40X200 LCD TV (bit old now but I love it and it doesn't have a stupid reflective screen like they all seem to these days.)

Denon AVR2807 Receiver

Mede8er MED400X2S (media player fed by networked ReadyNas)

Sony PS3 (Very rare movie and gaming duties)

JVC HR-S8700 SVHS (for nostalgic movie nights)

Audica CS System 1 speakers

Then in the sitting room I also have a bit of an oldie but nonetheless interesting:

Marantz CD273 (utterly mint and picked up for £30 on eBay)

JVC AX-70 (an amp I had as a kid and one came up on eBay fairly mint so I had to have it, was £70 on ebay)

Bose AM5 (always wanted a set when they were released in the late 80s, again found a mint set for £100 on ebay)

I've got to say, I love this retro set up and can't stop listening to it, unlike my Cyrus/B&W set up, which I can take or leave. Who knew a £200 eBay system would be massively more enjoyable than a near enough £5,000 'hi-fi' system? Hilarious!

Next I'm going to build a heavy weight Japanese system with a more than controversial speaker system, but will reveal more on this as the plan develops. Good to meet you all!

Cheers

Sam

Hi Sam, welcome in.

2 channel is a good place for questions:-

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/forumdisplay.php?22-2-Channel-Debate

And also for the intriguing heavyweight Japanese system.

I'll look forward to reading about that. :)

Cheers

Steve

Super Wammer

Welcome Sam, fill in your profile so we know where your journey is taking me ! Also try to hit a bake off before you start changing things, and defo get to the Scalford show

you also have a PM

Thought I'd introduce myself...

Based in Hampshire, just building up my system again after a 10 year hiatus. Used to work in the industry for Audio T and then The Cornflake Shop. Then ran an IT consultancy until I burned out. Now full time father / husband, and trying not to take life too seriously.

Welcome to teh recent new joiners! Dig in, make yourselves at home. Dont feed the trolls (ie don't start a cable thread).....

And don't take the place too seriously!