Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

LAST MINUTE WAM HIFI SHOW AVAILABILITY - ONLY A FEW EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 5 SLEEP ONLY ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 3 BIG SYSTEM SPACES LEFT

adsa

Leak Stereo 30 Plus

What I’m personally coming to terms with is that the real benefits of good hifi may only be enjoyed by those lucky enough not to have had their personal audio apparatus ravaged by the inescapable decrepitude that accompanies age. If a ‘normal’ adults range if hearing caps out at app 15k hz then my own inner ears submerged almost daily in saltwater for more than 45yrs probably look like miniature coral reefs and would hardly hear a pin drop so I’m seriously thinking about offloading all this kit and picking up a Crosley!

14 hours ago, EbbandFlow said:

Thanks. Interesting article until reading it and owning both tyoes I was leaning towards the solid state must be superior camp and valves sound better because they look better subjective all in the mind opinion however I can now understand the reasoning is indeed based on quantifiable scientific measurement. 

Aye but the scientific argument shows neither are perfect and in fact in many cases a valve amp can measure better than a SS - then there is the matter of distortion  there is always some (however small) and it is what type of distortion and how it sounds that affects the sound quality.  For me the oldest way possible and the measuring tool you use every time you listen that matters most - your ears :) 

Super Dealer

If a valve amp measures like a solid state amp then it will sound like a solid state amp.

Keith

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

If a valve amp measures like a solid state amp then it will sound like a solid state amp.

Keith

Oh yes just like all solid state amps sound the same ?  Behave, you know that lots of amps have a sonic signature.  A well designed high performing amplifier will sound great we hope but it may still have a different sonic signature to another - well I think so :) 

Super Dealer

LLow distortion solid state amps will sound the same provided they can properly drive the partnering loudspeaker , obviously you can engineer an amplifier to sound ‘different’.

Keith

• Haha 1

On 09/12/2018 at 15:20, PuritéAudio said:

LLow distortion solid state amps will sound the same provided they can properly drive the partnering loudspeaker , obviously you can engineer an amplifier to sound ‘different’.

Keith

But we all know they do not sound the same - some may sound the same or similar but amps do sound different - if they didn't that would sure put a dent in amplifier sales from all the different manufacturers :rofl:

Super Dealer

Yes I rather expect it would !

But that doesn’t change the facts that two low distortion solid state amps, provided they can drive the loudspeaker are going to sound extremely similar if not identical.

Keith

Edited by PuritéAudio
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Yes I rather expect it would !

But that doesn’t change the facts that two low distortion solid state amps, provided they can drive the loudspeaker are going to sound extremely similar if not identical.

Keith

Not a fact, your opinion.

Or why would I buy anything from you apart from a £150 Behringer which measures well?

• Upvote 1

Super Dealer

Just compare two low distortion amps unsighted, you may need to adjust volume to account for differing gain.

Keith

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, PuritéAudio said:

Just compare two low distortion amps unsighted, you may need to adjust volume to account for differing gain.

Keith

Done it many times at home and at Guildford hifi many years ago .. on many occasions the only adjustment needed was to go back to the better sounding amp or turn off the volume of the offending one :rofl:   I cannot believe you are persisting with this.  If low distortion amplifiers sounded the same a lot of amplifier producers would go out of business leaving the market to the low cost mass produced items .... I am pretty sure most other wammers would agree with this.  

So tell me as a dealer do you just stock one low distortion amplifier? - and what do you do when a customer says he prefers the sound of the higher distortion one or one with similar distortion levels but gives you a 20% better profit margin?  When he says the more expensive one sounds better to his ears do you tell him they sound the same and buy the cheaper one? 

• Upvote 1

Super Dealer

Well the expensive ones have a nice case of course, the case is the single biggest component cost.

I just stock the best measuring, Benchmark aren’t cheap but they measure as well as anything, I don’t stock ‘effect boxes’.

Keith

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, PuritéAudio said:

Well the expensive ones have a nice case of course, the case is the single biggest component cost.

I just stock the best measuring, Benchmark aren’t cheap but they measure as well as anything, I don’t stock ‘effect boxes’.

Keith

But a lot of the companies you stock recommend them. Cessaro were using Kondo amps at Munich and you could not get more away from the low distortion, sterile, effects SS  box than that. Apparently they sounded superb.  Having spoken to Bruno at the Windsor Show he said to me he actually listens to his amps. Who would have believed it? So you are not only 'out of tune' with a lot (most) of the audio people  but also some of your suppliers.

• Upvote 1

Super Dealer

Surely Cessaro used their own ( Demetrius of Ypsilon) designs, they do resemble Kondo.

You listen to speakers George, I believe Bruno’s designs are based on maths/engineering, as are Daniel Weiss’ and every other serious competent designer.

Keith

Edited by PuritéAudio

This is what they had and they do look like Kondos. If not they are still valves. And I have to admit I am starting to really like horn loaded speakers.

cessaro.thumb.jpg.10309bb6123906f3edcab3e598f65580.jpg

Super Dealer

They do look like Kondo’s I agree, a ‘homage’ perhaps?

Horns, I have a pair going cheap ( ish).

Keith