adsa

Leak Stereo 30 Plus

The "stereo 30" is with germanium transistors, I have one like this also, if you fine one with no leaky transistor and fresh electrolytics and you have sensitive loudspeakers,(15 Watts/ch only), your efforts to a good amplifier in this life is finished for you!

The "plus" is with modern silicon transistor and sound about the same!

You can still buy in the Island for a little money!

GO FOR IT!

Found this here: http://forums.naimaudio.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/48019385/m/1752973907/p/4

I have one as my spare amp. The original 30 is a piece of junk, the 'plus' is a little gem. Can be bought for less than £50 easily and sound stunningly good. Capacitors invariably need to be replaced and some switches are a bit flaky, but otherwise they're rock solid in terms of build quality. IMHO, they wipe the floor with modern equivalents.

I bought a s/h one many years ago for use in another room from the main system. the sound there from these 'bits' was quite good for the money.

It was only when one of my monoblocs in the main system had to go for some repairs that it was hooked up to the better stuff. The sound it produced was amazing - especially when you considered how little it had cost.

If you're looking at retro British amps, I would suggest Armstrong 6 series as an alternative. Not far off the same price but I strongly prefer the Armstrong to the Leak and even in comparison (though marginally) to the contemporary Quad 33/303.

It's a shame that many of these amps are being thrown away as uneconomic to repair. They can be enjoyable to live with.

My experience too. The 'normal' amp setup is a heavily modified Transcendent Grounded Grid pre and a pair of Jadis CA30 monoblocks. When one of the Jadis fried a cathode stage, I bunged the Stereo 30 in for a few days. Nowehere near as much difference as there should have been. Galling when I realised the Stereo 30 cost me a lot less than half what I paid for one of the decoupling capacitors in the pre...

In a direct comparison, the ST30 has less subtelty, a little flabiness in the bass and not the same mid-range clarity. But that's hardly fair. I paid £20 for the Leak and just a wee bit more for the normal amps. What's really surprising is just how good it is. The top end is clean, vocals are forward and life-like and bass is tight and dry. If you can find one for less than £50 just grab it. It's massively more musical than a certain over-hyped chip amp.

I have one, too. It was my fathers and served well for many years. This one has been modded to accept input from a CD.

Buy a ticket for the Scalford raffle - I'm donating it... :)

I too have a ST30+ albeit with the Leak Delta label. Internally, they're the same. Lovely amp, works a treat. Also have the matching tuner. When I was given it, I cleaned all the pots and switches and it fully met the origianal spec, so didn't even change any capacitors. All I did was reset the standing current as it had drifted a (very) little bit high.

S.

Do I need to be concerned about input voltages from CD etc? The input voltages seem to be low, I dont want to saturate and distort the inputs by CD. Am I concerned over two fifths of not a lot???? - 250mv @ 50Kohms on Tuner 2 input.

Do I need to be concerned about input voltages from CD etc? The input voltages seem to be low, I dont want to saturate and distort the inputs by CD. Am I concerned over two fifths of not a lot???? - 250mv @ 50Kohms on Tuner 2 input.

Most CD players output 2 volts, so you could usefully use a 10-15dB attenuator and give yourself some range on the volume control. 33k series R, 10k shunt R will do it.

S.

Thank you. One last thing (I hope). The speaker connections have a certain size of plug. They look like Banana plugs to me. Do you know if they are, or are they something else? What size?

On 10/01/2011 at 06:46, rabski said:

I have one as my spare amp. The original 30 is a piece of junk, the 'plus' is a little gem. Can be bought for less than £50 easily and sound stunningly good. Capacitors invariably need to be replaced and some switches are a bit flaky, but otherwise they're rock solid in terms of build quality. IMHO, they wipe the floor with modern equivalents.

How did you become a moderator making ridiculous comments like this👹

Old thread I know but people read these and comments like this just shouldn’t be allowed.  I own both and the valve ST20 because they’re all good amps that continue to entertain and even amaze given their age. By the way Germanium transistors as found in the Leak Stereo 30 are highly prized for their ‘sound’ by guitarists world wide!

On 10/01/2011 at 06:56, HectorHughMunro said:

If you're looking at retro British amps, I would suggest Armstrong 6 series as an alternative. Not far off the same price but I strongly prefer the Armstrong to the Leak and even in comparison (though marginally) to the contemporary Quad 33/303.

It's a shame that many of these amps are being thrown away as uneconomic to repair. They can be enjoyable to live with.

Again more unquantifiable BS. Why is the Quar better than the Leak?  Maybe you should do a side by side. Leak easily equals Quad in all forms!  This is the kind of crap one expects at football matches👹

Edited by EbbandFlow

Breaking news. Wammer disagrees with other Wammers' opinions.

• Haha 1