Sign in to follow this  
SSM

Sheryl Crow's Wildflower

B000AOENCM.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The Divine Shezza is back!dribbler.gifdribbler.gifdribbler.gif

Wildflower is due out in stores Sep 27.

If the previews are right, it seems she has pulled out all the stops with this new album. It's said to be more experimental and less predictably rocky. Marvellous! It is always nice to see an established music superstar try a new musical tangent than stagnate away with tried-and-tested formulae. Mark your calendars, chaps, and put aside some lunch money come Sep 27 for this surewin Grammy potentiate. :cool:

Guest purplepleaser

Hi, I liked her previous albums, I have this on pre-order. I just hope that it lives up to the hype?

lee

I hope so too, lee. But I wouldn't worry that much. None of Sheryl's past efforts have disappointed; we can indeed expect quality material from her at all times.

SS

I'd like to do rude things to her. "If it makes you happy it can't be that bad " :flasher::flasher::flasher:

Duvet wrote:

I'd like to do rude things to her. "If it makes you happy it can't be that bad " :flasher::flasher::flasher:
Gotta get by Lance first!:D

Guest purplepleaser

I have been listening to the album today.I am very impressed. Her voice sounds so much better than I remember,though it has been a while since I spun one of her discs. Solidstateman hope you also like it.

lee:D

Oh don't tell me anymore lee! icon_mad.gifI have to wait until Tuesday to pick up my copy. Didn't do a pre-order because entire monthly online spending budget has been eaten up by a pair of Duan inkstones. Is terrible, yes, I actually chose stones over Shezza.sterb050.gif

I'm listening to it now. Ms Crow has a nice voice and is certainly a babe, but not my cup of tea, TBH.

I think I'm too young for this kind of music. :dude:

I have now heard each track at least six times, and I hafta say this new album is quite different from any of Sheryl's previous efforts.:shock:I will listen some more this weekend and post a full review soon.

???:cool:???

andi wrote:

Duvet wrote:
Gotta get by Lance first!:D

She dedicated the entire album to him!:grrr::grrr::grrr:Can't believe she's so into men with shaved legs.:Not Sure:

Well, I have had this landmark Shezza album for a week and overall its been a real pleasure listening to it. So how does it compare with Shezza's past stellar efforts?

The first thing I'd noted is "Wildflower" marks a departure from Ms Crow's previous albums. While it does have its appealing tunes, it lacks the sheer rock-out catchiness of "C'mon C'mon" or the stylish vibes of "The Globe Sessions". "Wildflower" is Sheryl the songwriter at her most introspective and homely. It's been said that every new Sheryl album is influenced by the personality of the man she's seeing during its production. Well, based on this appraisal, I think Lance Armstrong must be a boring, navel-gazing, sad old git!:P Hopefully he gets dumped before the next album is due, and Shezza gets back together with bad boys like Kid Rock or Lenny Kravitz, and once again bangs out more superb biker-chic rock tunes.

The second thing I noted is an alarming change in the quality of Shezza's voice. The beautiful silky growl we are so accustomed to hearing in her lower notes is missing throughout most of these Wildflower songs, and she seems to be straining during the high notes, becoming a tad strident and sounding as if she's singing through her nostrils.:Not Sure: (NB: I am not listening to this through Cyrus equipment;)) Did Lance do anything to her vocal cords?:x This change in vocal quality could be due to the increased years, or it could be because the tessitura (to borrow an opera technical term) of these new songs are pitched too high. She oftens sounds as if her voice is continuously being tugged into the higher pitches, where she should not be. As a result of this pull, some of these new songs lack a sense of "anchoredness". I dunno how else to put it.

The good side to this change in vocal quality is: Sheryl uses her pared-down voice like a highly focused laser beam to probe every interpretive angle to her lyrics. You get the sense that this is a real songwriter really penetrating fully into her lyrical creations.

[line]

Song by song...

1. I Know Why

This song is well constructed with good lyrics. However, Sheryl's singing starts off sounding a tad flat, and she has a few awkward moments where she puts unnecessary split-second breaks in lines which should be continuously breathed (e.g. "see your face . instead") Then, when the chorus begins her pitch becomes contrastingly sharp. All that is not enough to sink this song however; the guitar solo in the middle is suitably gruff and salty, and it all ends satisfyingly.

2. Perfect Lie

Here Sheryl is at her most vocally comfortable. We get to hear some of that middle chest richness in her notes and the string orchestration for this song is one of the best: nicely romantic and searing. (BTW, all but one of these new Wildflower songs have orchestral string accompaniments.) In a way, the sultry mood of this track is reminiscent of kd lang's beachy "Invincible Summer". I can almost picture myself walking on the Brighton shores hand in hand with Jammy, bathed in the reddish glow of a setting sun. A great track.

musik24.gif

"You

You wanted me only

To never be lonely

So you opened up your arms and let me in."

Too beautiful...:cs::cs::cs:

3. Good is Good

Perfection! The best song on the album. The cool, clear, confident electric guitar notes that steal into the opening seconds are superb and immediately make any listener sit up. The chic clever lyrics, Sheryl at her vocally most varied; wry and sardonic at one moment, earnest and searing the next,... classic Sheryl. This cool track warrants repeated listening.

4. Chances Are

OMG. Imagine you are driving along a lonely dark highway at 1 a.m. being released from a company dinner that went on too long. You are struggling to keep your eyes open as your mind thinks of the lovely bed that awaits you at home. The drive seems interminable and worse the radio station is playing a bland listless song that seems to drone on and on and irritate you no end. This is that song:

"Chances are we'll make it back. We'll make it back... We'll make it back..."

Yeah...:puke::puke::puke::puke::puke:

5. Wildflower

This track seems to have Lance Lance Lance all over it. It comes across as Shezza's personal lullably to him, an ode to his life. The lyrics are excellent and the main melody is simple but classy. It would not sound out of place if transcribed into a soprano part and sung as part of a requiem. However, I don't think Sheryl's approach to singing it is fitting. Instead of doing it in lower hushed tones, she just floats higher and higher up the scale until she sounds like a simpering young girl. There is no 'body' to her voice here. The bonus acoustic version included highlights this vocal brightness even further. Perhaps I will change my mind in the future, but currently, this is not my fave.

6. Lifetimes

IMHO this is neither here nor there. In such an introspective album, Sheryl could have used this song for a true rock-out moment, as a contrast from the preceding five tracks. The tempo of this track should be faster than it is but it is middling. As a result one hears it either as half-perky or half-tired, hmm... Good hooks though.

7. Letter to God

One of the best tracks on Wildflower. Sheryl's voice is firmly focused and confident. No sharp-pitched floating offs here, and the lyrics are great. I like it a lot!

8. Live It Up

We get to hear some of the old Sheryl here. Her provocative playful side returns in this nicely paced boppy song. It would not be out of place on the catchy "C'mon C'mon" album, and I know this is going to be my favourite car tune for a while. Bright, fresh and optimistic.

9. I Don't Wanna Know

If you arrive at this song after going through the first eight tracks, it may sound like more of the same. However, taken on its own it is a good song, even though the chorus may be a shade repetitive. I think this track is best suited when heard in a pub/bar environment.

10. Always On Your Side

A very introspective song. There are sensitive piano accompaniments and beautiful warm strings to enhance Sheryl's wistful vocals. Here, she sings so effortlessly and with such conviction you could almost hear the lyrics even before they emerge from her lips. Wonderful, wonderful.

11. Where Has All The Love Gone

I was scratching my head for a looong time wondering why I didn't like this track. Then I realised. The piano accompaniment as recorded is HORRIBLY plonky, spongy and defocused!:x:X:XIt has none of the crispness of the piano accompaniment as heard in Track 10. I hate this kind of piano sound!:grrr::grrr::grrr:It reminds me of that kind of listless shitty piano plonkings one hears in the cheaply-made soundtracks ofhospital documentaries that go on about some brave patients' ordeal. Makes me sick. I didn't invest thousands on my system to hear such abominable plonkings!:grrr:What were the sound recordists thinking when they foisted this shite piano on us?:Not Sure:As a result I can't look past it to appreciate the finer points of this song. Sorry.:(

12. Wildflower (acoustic version)

see 5. Wildflower

[line]

Conclusion

It would be interesting to see how the Grammy Awards rate Shezza's album. It is not as rock-y as her previous ones, so is she going to be put to compete in the Pop category?:Not Sure:At any rate, this is still a fine effort from our Rock Diva. 7 hits out of 11 tracks is a good score.But please,Sheryl, dump Lance before your next album and return to your roots. I'd want a fast, funky new album next time around.:cool:

SS

Lance has a few disirable qualities:

1. He V rich

2. smooth legs

3. Only fires blanks

4. meat and 1 veg

perhaps this is the perfect partner for Shazza!

:sw:

Ha. Shezza's one-ball wonder is in the news again for alleged use of performance-enhancing stimulants.

LanceArmstrong1lr.jpg:raoflmfao::raoflmfao:

lance_sheryl,0.jpg:grrr::grrr::grrr::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke: