Guest Phillybuster

Are valves on the way back?

Guest Phillybuster

At the HiFi Expo last week (10,000 visitors over two days - stunning success) there was vinyl everywhere, but also lots of valve amps or preamps. This was interesting for me because I'd not heard valve gear before. In fact, the item I ended up liking the most featured a valve in the pre-amp stage.

Maybe it was a false impression, but is valve-based equipment looking to be next year's DAC? It certainly seemed that way.

Keep Up

There has been a massive increase in valve amps available in the last five years.

At the top end they never went away.

There are lots of really good amps. Getting valves of decent quality is getting more difficult. That's why the loss of Tech-Tubes was such a tragedy.

For some of us, valves never went away...loads of people jumping on the bandwagon now as though it was the latest 'new' thing:roll:

Paul

There are lots of really good amps. Getting valves of decent quality is getting more difficult. That's why the loss of Tech-Tubes was such a tragedy.

:zip:

Valves have been back in the mainstream for 10-15 yrs at least. If anything, It's solid state that's beginning to make a bit of a comeback!

Valves have been back in the mainstream for 10-15 yrs at least. If anything, It's solid state that's beginning to make a bit of a comeback!

Second that. Valves have been "back" for quire sometime. If anything, I have noticed SS making a "comeback" over the last 12 months.

I discovered them 5 or so years ago, and I am so glad I did. I really ought to have a go with a modern one sometime, they're just so bloody expensive though.

I discovered them 5 or so years ago, and I am so glad I did. I really ought to have a go with a modern one sometime, they're just so bloody expensive though.

The best valve amps have the best output transformers, and they don't come cheap, can easily be over 50% of the cost of the amp.

Only cos they are making then sound like valve amps ;-)

In the ears of mag reviewers maybe... I get bloody sick of amp reviews banging out cliches like "valve-like sweetnees", "lush euphonic tube sounding" when reviewing SS amps without making any attempt to explain why or even if that is actually a good thing - which it might not be. Never mind the fact that a lot of valve amps absolutely don't have these characteristics anyway.