nsherin

First Double Cassette Deck

Super Wammer

Copying C64 games :)

I had a little box that plugged into the C64's tape port. You would then plug 2 C2N tape decks into the box. Start one recording and load the game loading on the other - when it finished you had a perfect copy on the other tape :-)

Still got that kit somewhere...!

Here it is.

ta_w80_589246.jpg

I found it pretty and rather well built. It was also not cheap at all.

• Like 1

I'd forgotten this thread! ;-)

Interesting link to the Technics machine - it looks to be rather more advanced and better built than the Onkyo was.

Thread resurrection.

The Onkyo TA-W80 may have been the first double deck in the new wave of 1981, and it almost certainly was the first double-speed one, but historically the very first ones were made by Clarion:

1977 MD-8080

clarion_md-8080_450px.png

1978 MD-8181

13d5da9b40d6938cb5265196ed30

1978 MD-8282

clarion_md-8282_450px.png

• Like 2

On 17/10/2010 at 10:09, SergeAuckland said:

Music Centres were always features-rich, if quality poor...

I do recall Ivor's summation of the breed being that "everything might be central, but it's certainly not musical..."

Super Wammer

In 1988 Amstrad were taken to court by CBS Music for making a machine which had a double deck and could be used for copying. CBS lost the case. I guess CBS viewed the Amstrad as a "Mass Market" product , and although there were other machines around this was very much a consumer product.

https://webstroke.co.uk/law/cases/cbs-songs-v-amstrad-1988

Dual Recorders by the likes of Neal have been around for quite when used in evidence  recording.(PACE ACT 1984)

Alan

Edited by Radioham
  • Like 1

I never really understood the appeal of twin cassette decks. I can't figure why people ever wanted to buy one, nor why they were so ubiquitous in midi and micro hifi systems for about 15 years from 1988. Prerecorded cassettes usually sounded awful to begin with, so that didn't leave much hope for the copy. Surely they weren't all just bought by 8-bit computer owners copying their mates' games? But other than that, I can think of no other legitimate reason (even though that reason was illegal).

I am currently reading through old newspapers to try and locate the first double cassette player advertised.  

I was given a double cassette "ghetto blaster" big silver machine for Christmas 1983 at age 12.  

So far reading through old newspapers I am up to April 1983 and have not seen one advertised yet.

image.png.88076a8ebcd58f35e7c15fbebc81ac9f.png

I recall the happy days of successfully copying VIC20 games on my friend's Technics music centre twin cassette deck back in the early 80's. Plus recording the Top 40 on Radio 1 on a Sunday evening, back in the days of Tommy Vance. A twin deck was pretty useful then to save the hassle of swapping cassettes over mid-way through the program, you could start the second one off before the first one looked like it was running out of tape. Which gave you time to then turn the first cassette over ready to continue. Of course that meant you had the show recorded across two tapes on a sort of weird Side 1 / Side 3 / Side 2 / Side 4 arrangement, but it was better than risking the tape running out in the middle of the latest A-Ha / Wham / Duran Duran / whatever single.