Guest sq225917

Articulation poles my arse.

Guest sq225917

After a week long Hiatus from sever self-induced rib and lower back pain 6 moons are at it once again.

http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews/mit3/1.html

"MIT contends that all cables regardless of materials and geometry are inherently inefficient at transporting power. This inability to transport power or articulate equally across the spectrum is why some cables sound bright, dull, warm etc. The audible difference between various cables is a result of how inefficient or efficient a cable is at a particular frequency. MIT calls these designs single pole cables. MIT cables with their patented multipole technology networks optimize this transportable power at predetermined points—what MIT calls articulation poles—throughout the audio spectrum. The greater the number of articulation poles, the more extensive the network and the more efficient is the cable at transporting power over an increasingly wider bandwidth for better performance"

It's not enough that all cables have a finite frequency bandwidth defined by their construction, MIT would have you believe that within say 20hz-20khz there's this huge variation in ability to conduct signal that can only be fixed by attaching boxes full of hot-glue, metal weights and sometimes resistors and extra wires. Funny i thought LCR and conductor thickness were what counted.

Discuss.

Looks like another mis-application of a genuine engineering phrase as marketing spiel, IMHO.

Poles do exist, and indeed define the frequency and phase response of filter networks. The 'inefficiency' mentioned in the sales crap is a(n incorrect) way of talking about the rejection of certain frequencies as a result of the band-limiting effects of the filter.

Without looking at any references, a cable probably presents a two-pole response, as a result of having both inductance (L) and capacitance ©. However, unless the L, C, or R are grossly abnormal, just about any peice of wire - from a coathanger on up - is capable of trasmitting the full rage of frequencies audible to homo sapiens with astonishing linearity.

The bandwidth of a cable is an issue on Gigabit ethernet, and other similar high-bandwidth (and high-frequency) applications (including analog video and RF stuff like Radar). However, I can't really see it being an issue at audible frequencies.

Oh, and as for the multi-pole filter circuits added to this particular brand of cure-all, they could, in theory, equalise the loss at all frequencies, leading to a much lower signal output; without a gain device (transistor, Op-amp, etc.) they can't remove any loss inherent to the cable.

'Articulation Poles my arse' indeed.

Guest sq225917

I'm so looking forward to being a prick and bursting that bubble mid way through a demo at Whittlebury.

Thanks James. Did think about replying, but you've answered it perfectly and I have really more important things to do, like pulling the hairs out of my nostrils one by one.

I would take issue, however, with your comment "I can't really see it being an issue at audible frequencies". I think this should be replaced by the phrase "there is more chance of a dead newt becoming the next Pope than there is of this doing what they claim".

This recent interviews with MIT's designer may be of interest?

Better still, here's a link to the seating plan of a Pennine Class 185 railway carriage that may be even more interesting

http://www.joyce.whitchurch.btinternet.co.uk/class_185.gif

I doubt it TBH, but I might have a look at some point.

Better still, here's a link to the seating plan of a Pennine Class 185 railway carriage that may be even more interesting

http://www.joyce.whitchurch.btinternet.co.uk/class_185.gif

That is most elucidating. Thanks!

EDIT - in the mean time, you may find this article on the Drying Properties of Paints and Oils entertaining.

Gotta get some of those "wonderbra" cables for me car :D. With them being so super, I should be able to run on battery alone :) BTW - do these also reduce eletricity bills? :dunno:

Nope - you need their under-development Class-D universal interconnects for that.

Is it foo then?

:dunno:

No, that really is the seating plan.

• Upvote 1

Nope - you need their under-development Class-D universal interconnects for that.

Bugger:( I was already planning to spend me savings on some Shunn Mook stuff :D Now, that is the real thing :)