Guest 337alant

Audio technica AT 33EV

Good luck to Shelter - shelters, and even/odd AT cart. etc enjoyers.

As far as new overpriced Koetsu goes, extra fun to all.

Pleased as punch withmy At33 from mellstock. Ditto CM - shows HF lift on the chart - but doesnt sound bright to me ( but then I use valves and Snell speakers).

Goes well in a Tabriz.

I like AT carts and in the right environment sound great. I have an ART 1 (detail) and recently a Koetsu rosewood sig (smooth enjoyment)- both superb at what they do and at the price

Guest 337alant

I dont hear the AT33EV sounding thin and lacking in bass to me its a great all rounder my Ortofon MC25FL sound thin and both of my Denon DL 160 and 110 sound coarse and brash by comparison

Alan

Just acquired DL-103R and AT33EV.The 103R won against the AT33EV with deeper bass and losses both mid and highs to the AT33EV.

The listening test was done without proper matching of loading resistance through Nakamichi 610 control pre +620 poweramp + ATC SCMSL Pro.

Anyway I stll prefer the way the 103R conveys the music that made listening much more enjoyable and engaging.

As I listen to lots of opera and vocal,the 103R handles voices with a touch of magical seductive characters that I pursuit after.

v_images.php

http://my.imageshack.us/v_images.php

Just acquired DL-103R and AT33EV.The 103R won against the AT33EV with deeper bass and losses both mid and highs to the AT33EV.

The listening test was done without proper matching of loading resistance through Nakamichi 610 control pre +620 poweramp + ATC SCMSL Pro.

v_images.php

http://my.imageshack.us/v_images.php

For the 103R to beat the AT33EV, the circumstances would have to be very particular. What arm? What TT? And isn't the whole point of the Nakamichi to be able to optimise for settings? What recordings?

Actually I do believe the Denon might well do stronger bass but I doubt it would do better detail on subtle classical music or jazz, the stylus profile just isn't up to the job.

Guest Pac67

James,

the Shelter pretty well made it's name for its wonderful warm mid range. It takes a good 50 hours to break in. What phono stage are you running it through? I've just bought the newer 5000, and it's probably the best cart I've ever heard. What you describe is very un-Shelter sounding:dunno:

Alan,

congrats on your purchase. I had shortlisted the AT33EV before buying the Shelter and the AT certainly seems to be getting rave reviews:^

For the 103R to beat the AT33EV, the circumstances would have to be very particular. What arm? What TT? And isn't the whole point of the Nakamichi to be able to optimise for settings? What recordings?

Actually I do believe the Denon might well do stronger bass but I doubt it would do better detail on subtle classical music or jazz, the stylus profile just isn't up to the job.

You are right,the AT33EV does do better in digging more details,more highs than the 103R!

BTW the 103R has a very special magical characteristic with seductive power that which won my heart.

And 103R would be my choice at this moment.

I still have to wait till my new Audiomods arm to arrive so that I could do a better and more thorough comparison between these two cartridges.

Isn't the 103R a low-compliance cartridge that prefers high mass arms? I believe that the AT33 has a higher compliance figure and will probably be better in a low mass arm, as far as my limited understanding goes...?

Does that tally with the arm's that you've used Mikemaxcel?

I might think so.Probably the AT33EV would sing much better than DL103R using a medium or low mass arm,wait till the arrival of my audiomods. and see how it will handle the AT33EV?

I did try my Syrinx PU3 with the AT33EV today and still found that it’s not my cup of coffee.

It seems improving slowly after hours of continuous listening...more and more magical texture and smoothness is added...

Both my cartridges now perform above expectation with the arrival of Audiomods Arm form Jeff.To have the best result, you needed to fine tune the arm mass to suit each cartridge with blue-tak or headshell shims.I prefer to use blue-tak as this will not just added the required mass to the arm, it also added some damping effect onto the entire arm.it could be tuned to suit your taste.

The arm is highly recommended if you want to get your cartridge to its full blossom!

Hi guys ,I used to own an Audio Technica AT33PTG.I never realy got on with it,finding it to be too thin and iluminated through the upper midrange and not enough bass.

To be Honest i havent heard a MC that i can get on with yet.Tonight ,yet again i swapped my Reson Reca with my Little used ,new Shelter 501 II only to find the same forward thin ,upper Midrange and week bass.I'm using it in a Orbed Girodeck and a origin Live Encounter so i'm not sure whats going on.Its still realtivley new less than 50 Hours on it.

maybe my tastes just prefer MM.

I've a similar system to yours and changed from my beloved worn out Reca Reson to an AT33EV based mainly on reviews and forum opinion.

Initially, my first impressions of the AT33EV were the same, i.e. Where's the Bass gone! and a confused soundstage. I was so disappointed with the AT33EV I made my mind up to sell it and reinstalled the old Reca.

Unfortunately the Reca only lasted another week before it completely gave up and reinstalled the AT33EV just to have some music. Prior to this I had done some reading on the sensitivity of the AT33EV to VTA and loadings.

I had up until now been using the Michell VTA adjuster on my Orbe with a modded RB250 but hadn't tried removing it. This I did, and as suggested on another forum increasing the loading on my delphini phono stage.

Well , what a difference! The bass was back, maybe not quite a punchy as the Reca but in every other respect the AT33EV was on another planet. I didn't go to bed until 4am that night and was late for work the next day - wow what a cart!

At this point there was around 50hrs on the AT33EV so wasn't quite run in. I've been playing it for about 3 months now and the sound has improved even more - better bass texture and depth, mid and treble detail and more spacious soundstage.

Again and again I'm pulling albums out that I've heard 200 times that sound like different albums and albums that I thought were poorly recorded to find they're good. I even came across Fleetwood Mac's Rumours album that I hadn't played for years as I'd played it to death and was astonished at how great it sounded - the harmonise on "you make loving fun" sound like angels.

Would I change back to the Reca - never! The AT33EV run in, the right VTA and loading is an amazing cart - happy I bought it.