Guest pobox-123

Exposure

Guest pobox-123

Sorry to be very ignorant.

I'm trying to learn about the Exposure IV poweramp. Were there different versions of this poweramp? And I also see there was the VIII, was this supposed to be a better amp over the IV?

Thanks.

I believe the IV was available regulated / unregulated, but the top of the range was the Dual IV with two big toroidal transformers, one for each channel so giving dual mono performance. can't say I've heard the IV, but I've been thinking of upgrading from my standard VIII. The VIII had its own upgrade chain, from standard to 'Super', which had more power and headroom. Or if one was feeling really flush, a pair of mono VIIIs. Cliffy Boy or Gromit can be contacted on the 'Wam or Pinkfish - both are reliable and helpful sources of info on all things Expo.

Mind you, prices for IVs seem to be rather excited at the moment.

I have a VI / VII / VIII. thinking about moving up to a IV, and also putting a second VI psu into the mix (in which case I need to upgrade my VII to a dual VII).

Guest pobox-123

interesting, thank you.

I've never heard Exposure amps before. What are they like?

Also, with Exposure amps do you have to be very carefull with cable matching?

Here's a link to the Farlowe era Exposure archive http://web.archive.org/web/20010209034508/www.exposurehifi.com/info.htm might be of some help.

There was 3 versions of the IV power amp the single/stereo IV this had a single tranformer split into 2 windings. The bigger winding was used for the power amp & the smaller one could be used as a pre-amp power supply for a single VII pre-amp.

There was 2 models of Dual IV power amps, one unregulated & the more sought after regulated version (IVDR). Each one being a step up from each other & the VIII. Often compared to a pair of NAP 135s in one box!

I've never heard a pair of Mono VIIIs but I do know Cliffyboy replaced his Dual IV unreg with a pair. These are even more rare than the big Mono XVI power amps which are rare & getting very expensive now :shock:.

The Dual IV was a nice upgrade over the superVIII so worth hunting one down at the right price. It might need re-capping by now though if it's not been done, Exposure still have caps & can do this for you. I also had a dual VII pre & found a 2nd VI psu did improve the sound a little.

Exposure did recommend using there own speaker cable (I might still have a little of this to sell, somewhere), the Naim stuff is very similar though.

Very nice amps, I enjoyed mine :)

Guest PerFlemming

The IVDR is quite another fish than an VIII which again developed into XVIII, available mono or Super.

IVDR available as two mono's called XVI

The early IV was loose" in lower region however beautifull mids, must need recap now, they are from the 80'ies

My all time fave is an Dual regulated IV (IVDR) with matching preamp however it can provide some mid soft colourations not found in say a similar Naim amplication.

Not sure about the service back-up currently

All the Farlowe stuff are designed/voiced over budget Cable Talk cables and similar cables could be used in lack of originals.

If you like the older Farlowe design all the recent may not be to your liking.

Guest pobox-123

Thanks for the the info guys, and thanks for the link alfie.

How much does the Exposure IV sell for?

Thanks for the the info guys, and thanks for the link alfie.

How much does the Exposure IV sell for?

6 months or so ago I sold 2 Dual IV unreg via ebay both at about £400 each.

A rough guide

Single IV £250-300

Dual IV unreg £400-600

Dual IV reg £600+ up to 800 I've seen them sell for!

Mono VIII £600+

Mono XVI £2000+

Guest pobox-123

Sorry to be going on about these amps. Blimey, I've never been so bloody curious!

Is the Dual IV Regulated supposed to be better sounding over the unregulated IV.

Thanks.

Don't know if you ever browse the retrohifi.co.uk sales list but there was a listing put up a few days ago for a III, a IV and a PSU for £595. Sounds like good value if you want to try it out. Doubt you'd lose any money on eBay if you don't get on with it

Guest pobox-123
Don't know if you ever browse the retrohifi.co.uk sales list but there was a listing put up a few days ago for a III, a IV and a PSU for £595. Sounds like good value if you want to try it out. Doubt you'd lose any money on eBay if you don't get on with it

Thanks.

Guest pobox-123

Just wondering, Is the Exposure Super 8 poweramp another good amp to go for?

Also, with the super 8, and 18 super poweramp. Are thier Input sockets RCAs??

Thanks.

Guest PerFlemming
Just wondering, Is the Exposure Super 8 poweramp another good amp to go for?

Also, with the super 8, and 18 super poweramp. Are thier Input sockets RCAs??

Thanks.

All 18 have XLR plus ordinary RCA, do note cable config. on XLR are not industri standard, you need special soldered cable like the original Brown i/c.

Guest pobox-123

Thanks for the pics alfie. Looks like a nice quality little amp.

How does the Super VIII sound?

Guest pobox-123

Forgot to ask, how much was the Super VIII when it came out?