Sign in to follow this  
istari knight

Whats the BEST record (vinyl) for demo purposes ??? opinions please.....

hi again people !

whats your opinion on the best vinyl record/s out there for demo's and generally showing your kit off ? not necessary for pure enjoyment of the musical performance , just for impressing people :P

ps. genre doesnt matter but it would be good if not classical as most people are unimpressed as soon as they hear anything like that ;)

cheers !:^

Fleetwood mac rumours is pretty good at showing a systems good bits off, you can let it play and watch people be surprised at what a decent deck can do

Guest adam

Donald fagan -Nightfly is very good,and as mentioned a few Fleetwood Mac LPs.

I take The Pretender by Jackson Browne which I am fortunate to have on a mobile fidelity master.

Also Wish You Were Here by Pinkfloyd.

Jennifer Warnes 'Famous Blue Raincoat'... beautifully produced and recorded female voice...packed with emotion.

If you want that "Oh my God" experience, try any Sheffield Labs Direct Cut Vinyl... I've got Harry James (Swing Trumpet band) with astonishing dynamics and presence.

THE definitve 'good' recording from the Hay-Day of Vinyl was 'Jazz at the Pawnshop'.. a simply miked recording of a live Jazz session... fantastically atmospheric.

Avoid anything mass produced from the seventies and early eighties, when vinyl quality and recording costs were reduced for profits sake. After a HiFi backlash, it all came better late in the eighties if I remember rightly.

PS..STRAT. Where did you get the JB album..is it still available? (BIG JB fan)

Rocky; Wait for this in -1981 in Audio-T West Hampstead the day I bought my Pioneer 512D TT and amp! No longer available I'm afraid but have occasionally seen one 2nd hand on E-Bay. I'm a great JB fan too but not so much of his recent stuff.

no me neither, but then I'm an ageing b.....d . I'm sure that I link great faves with great moments in life. In the case of JB, I was working in Tehran (in the days when the Shah was still around) and some friends introduced me to 'Late for the Sky' and 'The Pretender'... havn't been the same since!

When I used to work in the Hifi retail trade many years ago, we used to use A walk across the rooftops by The Blue Nile. This was for two reasons, first because it was on Linn records, and considered to be a well recorded album with the full spectrum of musical components from deep lows to shimmering highs, and second because it was great fun if you were demonstrating something like Linn Kans, as it starts off really quiet, egging you to crank it up, and then suddenly - crash!!! the look on the punters faces when they soiled their pantswhen the snare drum kicks in...oh those were the days....

In reality, I would probably use something like sara Dillon and such if I were auditioning something new.

PARAGON wrote:

When I used to work in the Hifi retail trade many years ago, we used to use A walk across the rooftops by The Blue Nile. This was for two reasons, first because it was on Linn records, and considered to be a well recorded album with the full spectrum of musical components from deep lows to shimmering highs, and second because it was great fun if you were demonstrating something like Linn Kans, as it starts off really quiet, egging you to crank it up, and then suddenly - crash!!! the look on the punters faces when they soiled their pantswhen the snare drum kicks in...oh those were the days....

In reality, I would probably use something like sara Dillon and such if I were auditioning something new.

Have some Kudos for The Blue Nile , very cool album .:^:^:^:^:^

chezi.

Guest Umberto

chezi61 wrote:

PARAGON wrote:

Have some Kudos for The Blue Nile , very cool album .:^:^:^:^:^

chezi.

I have Walk Across the Rooftops on vinyl. Unfotunately i had an accident with it and spilled some raw cleaning fluid on it wich gummed up the grooves. Not sure if it can be repaired or not. :(

Umberto Vanni wrote:

I have Walk Across the Rooftops on vinyl. Unfotunately i had an accident with it and spilled some raw cleaning fluid on it wich gummed up the grooves. Not sure if it can be repaired or not. :(

Bloodee mate , I think I would try sooner rather than later to recover the Lp.

Damn fine pressings the Linn Lps.

chezi.