wulisu

Yamaha NS 1000M - the best amplifier for this speakers ?

I believe that in the mid-range driver it's not pure beryllium but a beryllium-aluminium composite. It's the low mass and high stiffness of the beryllium, however, which allows the dome to function so well despite its relatively large size. The dome in the tweeter is pure beryllium though.

VB

Both the mid and tweeter domes are beryllium that is vapour deposited over aluminium.

I've heard NS100M's driven a couple of times by valves and I wasn't impressed - both times you could hear the impedance variations of the speaker interacting with the amps (particularly in the bass). This may well not be true of all valve amps, but it certainly seemed to be the case when I heard such.

I drive mine with a pair of Naim Nap135's and a modified Naim pre-amp - I have no issues with the way they sound.

Guest john_booker

Mid and tweeter are both vapour deposited over aluminium/copper alloy formers and the formers are then dissolved out with acid leaving just the dome and apparently a small reinforced ring where the coil is glued on.

A couple of the later models, used stamped foils of pure berylium, see vintageknob for details, http://www.thevintageknob.org/yamaha-GF-1.html and http://www.thevintageknob.org/yamaha-NSX-10000.html All the 1000 and 2000 models were vapour deposited.

Yes, the dome. Light and rigid.

Exactly, Beryllium is an unusual metal. Most commonly available metals have the same specific stiffness, for example titanium is half the density of steel but half the stiffness too. Beryllium has a much higher stiffness to density ratio than usual. It is ideal for use in speakers but difficult to manufacture with and expensive and if burning is spectacularly toxic. Last time I used some there were only 2 places in the UK licensed to machine it (because of the risk ov vapour from the cutting area).

Well, having just disassembled two pairs of Yammies, I found that both had their drive units wired up incorrectly by their previous owners. One had both the mid and the tweeter wired in reverse polarity and the other had the tweeter wired in reverse polarity (the tweeter on the NS1000M's should have the polarity of the tweeter reversed according to the wiring diagrams). So, it is worth any owners of second hand pairs having a check to see if theirs are wired up correctly.