wulisu

Yamaha NS 1000M - the best amplifier for this speakers ?

Hello Guys

I'm owner of the Yamaha NS 1000M and Power amplifier M-60. I'm looking for Preamplifier like Yamaha C 60 or C4 booth is possible to buy now on ebay in germany version 220V is it ok to use item in UK ?

I like the M-60 but the sound sometimes is little "dry" maybe because I have new interconnect and speakers cable ? Have you any experience with C60 - C4 with M60 or M50, M80 ?

I founded negative opinon about C-60 so I'm little confuse ;( Another option is valve amplifier. Any experience guys what could you recommend me ?

Best Regards

Darek

Sell the power amp and buy a Puresound or Leben integrated. Tube amps work well with the Yamaha's...i doubt there is anything wrong with the cables.

IMO the best amplifier for great Yam speakers is old Marantz PM7200 using Naim NACA5 cable fed by nice mains/CDP-vinyl etc. I am biased.

Sell the power amp and buy a Puresound or Leben integrated. Tube amps work well with the Yamaha's...i doubt there is anything wrong with the cables.

Given the sort of cables that are inside them I doubt they any too fussed, so long as they are decent copper and fat enough for their length. As to amps, I think it depends what you want to do with them. I had good results with a WAD Kat88 (36w or so KT88 PP amp), but if you want to push them loud and want tight bass then something with (perhaps a lot) more welly is required - bass with the WAD could get a bit slow and wobbly if you turned the wick up a bit. They are very revealing, so if you push an amp too hard they'll tell you so. What they won't appreciate is anything at all rough or bright sounding. I never tried them with a big, smooth, high damping factor, SS powerhouse but I would have liked to have tried them. I had an MC2 in my hands a couple of months after I sold my Yams but intuition tells me they would have worked well. They sounded like shit on the end of a Densen btw.

PS. Dik Dolan of this forum has my old ones now. I think he uses them with a pretty low powered valve amp and loves them, but he definitely doesn't play them loud. He may be along soon.

Ayup=)

Yep as Uncle Ants says, I'm the very happy owner of his old Yams, and use an SME20 into World Designs pre3/phono3 feeding a Glasshouse 300b SET amp. It's only 10wats or so, but I never play loud. I haven't tried any other amps or pre's so I'm not much help I'm afraid. All I can say is that I love the sound my system, and for the last couple of years haven't once had that itch to swap or upgrade or even tweak... apart from a little innocuous "tube rolling".

I should add that I rewired the insides of the Yams with some solidcore 0.5mm silver, the same stuff I use for interconnects and speaker wire. I believe this made a small but positive improvment (the Yams were already half silver wired, I just completed the job), but then again I'm a deluded cable believer =)

Ay up duck.

Yeah they are great speakers :) Must have imported many pairs of the 1000, 1000x and 2000 when I had my audio business.

I powered them with all sorts. You are correct that more or less any decent tube amp can make these speakers sing...just choose your flavour. 10 watts should make the Yamaha speakers sing loudly enough :)

I would take advantage of the midrange and upper frequency potential. The transducers have the ability to give a good sound...makes me want to import another pair for a bit of fun...maybe a stacked wall of them :))

R

Guest pobox-123
IMO the best amplifier for great Yam speakers is old Marantz PM7200 using Naim NACA5 cable fed by nice mains/CDP-vinyl etc. I am biased.

Your always biased ;)

Guest sq225917

Surely you want a late seventies chrome faced jap monster to drive them...

Oh yes!!!

(Pioneer SX1980.)

For me, Farlowe-era Exposure amps: Exposure IV (4) would be a good choice and is likely to be reasonably affordable. Others to consider would be Exposure XVIII (18) in it's various forms or (lower powered) Exposure VIII (8).

Have owned and run all of these combinations on the NS1000Ms I owned - would definitely go IV/NS1000 again if we move and have a suitable room again.

Tried various solid state and valve amps (Yamaha, McIntosh, Sugden, Luxman, Leak among others) before I found my own preference - YMMV, of course...

I have found that my NS1000Ms don't like a bright amp, for example the KI Marantz amps that I have. They really sing on the end of either of my better Sansuis, but haven't heard them on valve stuff so can't help further with that. Whatever you use, they are superb detailed speakers, very revealing, and don't suffer poor recordings lightly.

:^