mole0937

Doe's anyone still use a graphic equalizer?

1 hour ago, JANDL100 said:

Not much that you can do then except get another!

If you have another one die I'd have a look at the miniDSP range of products.

To answer the original question, I've never owned a traditional graphic equaliser. I have a miniDSP 2x4 HD though, with which I only currently apply EQ below 120 Hz. 

3 hours ago, uzzy said:

If you use a graphic - the ideal is to put pink noise through the system with a microphone where you would sit to feed a spectrum analyser.  You then adjust the graphic EQ to produce as flat a sound as you can.   You will now have the nearest to accurate reproduction you can get from your set up (in that mic position).

It's worth noting that subjectively most people prefer an in-room response which is highest at the lowest frequencies and gradually decreases as frequency increases. It's very important to make the distinction between a flat anechoic response and a flat in room response. 

• Like 1

Super Wammer
3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

..........It's worth noting that subjectively most people prefer an in-room response which is highest at the lowest frequencies and gradually decreases as frequency increases. It's very important to make the distinction between a flat anechoic response and a flat in room response. 

That's exactly how I've established my active setup :D

10 minutes ago, MartinC said:

If you have another one die I'd have a look at the miniDSP range of products.

To answer the original question, I've never owned a traditional graphic equaliser. I have a miniDSP 2x4 HD though, with which I only currently apply EQ below 120 Hz. 

It's worth noting that subjectively most people prefer an in-room response which is highest at the lowest frequencies and gradually decreases as frequency increases. It's very important to make the distinction between a flat anechoic response and a flat in room response. 

The thing is Martin Ive usually found the best results from well matched equipment rather than things that had to be EQ'd because of equipment variation, bad matching or room. But then again its not always practicably possible. But the best stuff well matched I feel just betters any trim you have to put on the sound. The real good stuff just sounds real good, but unfortunately it really is a double edged sword, it has to be kind of well matched in the first place as well.

Edited by eddie-baby
  • Like 1

Super Wammer

I can agree somewhat with the equipment matching statement Eddie, but even then it's not always possible to correct for room size, sofa position, speaker locations etc .....and that is where an active xover like the 2496 comes into its own, taking those matched items to a new level. 

11 minutes ago, MF 1000 said:

I can agree somewhat with the equipment matching statement Eddie, but even then it's not always possible to correct for room size, sofa position, speaker locations etc .....and that is where an active xover like the 2496 comes into its own, taking those matched items to a new level. 

yes and I agree with that also Keith, but I have found the systems that just really sing together even in the bad rooms that the best upgrade is just a better room, the only trouble is as much as I realize eq's can do the magic there is no substitute for a decent room and good system matching, although eq'ing can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

On 11/09/2019 at 21:34, eddie-baby said:

yes and I agree with that also Keith, but I have found the systems that just really sing together even in the bad rooms that the best upgrade is just a better room, the only trouble is as much as I realize eq's can do the magic there is no substitute for a decent room and good system matching, although eq'ing can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

I do agree - however, in a bad room it is still a worthwhile exercise playing with speaker positioning and your listening seat position.   Use of curtains and soft furnishings can help too.  Pal of mine with a square lounge hung a nice tapestry on the back wall (got the wife to choose it - no way would she put up with anything that didn't look nice).  

My room as it is is less than ideal (if ever I win the lottery i want a separate listening room for the hifi) but you compromise as best you can.  

On 11/09/2019 at 21:09, eddie-baby said:

The thing is Martin Ive usually found the best results from well matched equipment rather than things that had to be EQ'd because of equipment variation, bad matching or room. But then again its not always practicably possible. But the best stuff well matched I feel just betters any trim you have to put on the sound. The real good stuff just sounds real good, but unfortunately it really is a double edged sword, it has to be kind of well matched in the first place as well.

I only use EQ to manage room modes, just applying it to the signal sent to my sub, which crosses over to the mains at 120 Hz. I did briefly experiment with applying EQ to correct the direct signal from the speakers (time-gated to remove boundary reflections) but the corrections were very minor and I wasn't convinced the result was better. 

Every domestic room will have an uneven bass response, although this will be more obviously a problem in some than others.