Sign in to follow this  
Guest pobox-123

Audio Technica AT-OC5

Just out of curiosity,does anyone here have any exp with this cartridge? And how does it sound.

Plus, does this cartridge work best with a step up transformer and heavy tonearms etc?

Thanks.

i_should_coco wrote:

I used to have one. With hindisght, it wasn't very good. Screechy and scratchy.

Oh dear:(;-)

Indeed. I got it as an insurance replacement after a friend's kid brother killed my AT-F5 (which I did like).

Just never got on with it. Of course, YMMV..

pobox-123 wrote:

Just out of curiosity,does anyone here have any exp with this cartridge? And how does it sound.

Plus, does this cartridge work best with a step up transformer and heavy tonearms etc?

Thanks.

Coincidentally, I have been playing with an old AT-OC5 that I bought around 17 years ago, fitted in a Jelco SA-750D tonearm which I understand is quite high mass. Running into a PS Audio GCPH it sounds refined, if polite. Certainly not screechy and scratchy.

But, connected to the GCPH through a Cinemag SUT from www.bobsdevices.com the old AT-OC5 is quite another beast - dynamic, powerful, musical, delicate - the whole shebang! I'm amazed at how good it is, so I shall, certainly have its stylus examined, and re-tipped if it needs it.

I had one for a year or so on a modded Planar 3. It was detailed but far too bright for me, was easily outperformed by s Sumiko Bluepoint Special.

Shuggie wrote:

pobox-123 wrote:

Thanks.

Coincidentally, I have been playing with an old AT-OC5 that I bought around 17 years ago, fitted in a Jelco SA-750D tonearm which I understand is quite high mass. Running into a PS Audio GCPH it sounds refined, if polite. Certainly not screechy and scratchy.

But, connected to the GCPH through a Cinemag SUT from http://www.bobsdevices.com the old AT-OC5 is quite another beast - dynamic, powerful, musical, delicate - the whole shebang! I'm amazed at how good it is, so I shall, certainly have its stylus examined, and re-tipped if it needs it.

What's the effective mass of the Jelco?

Around the £80-£100 mark I think, I had one on a LP12/SyrinxPU2 and it sounded rather good back then.

When I picked up a used LP12 I also picked up a new AT-OC5. That was back in 1995 and I was then using a Classe' CP-50/CA-100 with an in-built phono stage in the CP-50. The LP12 was tweaked a bit at the time - Basik+ arm dumped and replaced with an Ittok LVII and had the Cirkus upgrade done at the same time. The AT-OC5 cost me the equivalent then of ~£75 (here in South Africa)

The AT-OC5 was a definite step up from the AT-410 MM I had been using, but tended to emphasise surface noise and seemed to have a slight 'lift' in the upper treble. Detail retrieval was okay, but resolution of complex performances was poor.

I eventually replaced it with, first, and Ortofon Rondo Red and then - in quick succession - with Kontrapunkts ('a' then 'h').

Looking back from the perspective of the Kontrapunkt 'h', the AT-OC5 was an adequate but not exceptional MC and also lacked the bass 'tautness' of the Ortofons.

Dave

I've always liked Audio Technica cartridges. I have a 440Mla and love what it does for the money.

I'm no technical wizard, the phonostage is built inside my preamp, It has both MM/MC phonostage.

Will the MC phonostage from my preamp be OK with the OC5 specs?

Below isthe specs of the phonostage (MM/MC) from the preamp.

phono input impedence mm 47 kW/85pF nominal

mc 100 W/3.3 nF nominal

phono input level mm 3.5 mV rms (relative to 0.5 V output)

mc 175 mV rms (relative to 0.5 V output

phono input signal to noise mm greater than 81 dB (relative to 0.5 V output)

mc greater than 77 dB (relative to 0.5 V output)

What's the effective mass of the Jelco?

Effective Mass = 20g

Other Specifications (from Vinyl Engine)

Effective length: 229mm

Overhang: 15mm

Offset angle: 22 degrees

Mounting distance: 214mm

Mounting pattern: Linn

Vertical friction: 20mg

Lateral friction: 20mg

Cartridge weight range: 4 to 12g