Sign in to follow this  
Huntergatherer

best cartridge for 3d soundstage

Hi Guys,

Simon Yorke 8 with matching arm , just come out to play.

Wondered if you guys had any good ideas on a cartridge that might be a good match. I guess £250-£700 ,and would like a fairly high output mc .

Biggest need would be a lovely deep 3d soundstage .

Realise this is a bit of string length request but any thoughts welcome

Guest sq225917

Your soundstage depth is defined by a couple of thing, in no particular order.

1.The site of the first reflection from between your speakers, wider apart and front wall further behind them does actually help, as does having a surface that gives a diffuse reflection.

2. Your speakers, narrow baffle or deep, rounded edges or square? Narrow baffle with rounded edges is best for lower diffraction which should equal tighter soundstage.

3.Stereo separation of your cart, the higher the better.

4. Phase accuracy of your overall system.

Tweaking your speaker location will do more for soundstage depth than any cart swap ever will.

Hi Thanks For that, this depth stuff is a real bugger, I have heard the epos do a great job. But seems rare to hear done well.

Tempted to get a relatively cheap one like the dynavector10x5,what do you use?

Just can't see the perceived value of the high end ones and trouble is never get to hear a comparison of the posh stuff.

Guest sq225917

I use a Dynavector DV 20x, which is a decent-ish high output moving coil, it's stereo separation is given as 25db. It's a very even handed cart, and not so pricey so that you feel there's a money clock ticking down with every record you play.

sq225917 wrote:

Your soundstage depth is defined by a couple of thing, in no particular order.

1.The site of the first reflection from between your speakers, wider apart and front wall further behind them does actually help, as does having a surface that gives a diffuse reflection.

2. Your speakers, narrow baffle or deep, rounded edges or square? Narrow baffle with rounded edges is best for lower diffraction which should equal tighter soundstage.

3.Stereo separation of your cart, the higher the better.

4. Phase accuracy of your overall system.

Tweaking your speaker location will do more for soundstage depth than any cart swap ever will.

that's a very defined answer.... Im not saying its rubbish, but since this topic has been around for many a moon with no such response AFAIK before, Im just wondering where you get such apparently concrete an answer from.?

bigdur wrote:

So whats the answer Rocky?

I'll give it.

At £500 - £700 new, Ortofon Cadenza Red.

It's not as good as the Rondo Bronze tonally, but has a wider and deeper image.

Guest sq225917

Rocky, I'm not sure why it's not been answered like that before, maybe no one on the Wam has spent as much time buggering around as I have.

When I moved house last summer my new room sounded shit, really shit. My old attic room was superb sounding, well damped, sloped dormers at both ends, it measured superbly with the XTZ mic set-up. The new room is utter crap.

So working from home as I do I've had six months to fanny around with speaker placement, diffraction/absorption treatments, modification of speaker cabinet shape/width corner radius, location of diffraction accessories on the speaker cabinets, speaker height, distance from side and back walls, all manner of different things.

They all do one thing though- they all modify the effects of the room/speaker interaction, be it level, location or delay.

Soundstage depth is utter artiface, if you've ever listened in an anechoic chamber there is no soundstage depth, precious little width outside of the speakers as well. So it's a reflection effect and anything you do to modify this will have an effect.

The stereo separation of the cart has an effect- try monoing the signal if you can to see how it changes.

Phase accuracy of your system, speakers more than anything, will also have an effect. Naturally any shift in the time domain accuracy of the signal will effect all aspects of reproduction. But I harbour a sneaking suspicion that having a linear phase crossover is a great boon to accurate soundstage portrayal- depth included.

I could be wrong like.