Sign in to follow this  
Guest purplepleaser

Voices of the fairer sex

Ray that is one seriously nice list of female singers, excellent taste sir.

Joni Mitchell (Clouds, Blue, Heira & Both Sides Now)

India Arie (Acoustic Soul)

Jocelyn Brown (Nuyorican Soul)

Eva Cassidy (Live Blues Alley)

Kate Bush (Hounds of Love, Whole Story)

KD Lang (Live by Request, 49th Parallel)

Lucinda Williams (Essense, Car Wheels, World Without Tears)

Alison Krauss (New Favourite)

Dixie Chicks (Fly, Home)

Claire Martin (Be Cool)

Diana Krall (Live in Paris, Girl in the other room)

Sara K (Hobo)

Just some, in addition to the classics mentioned earlier, Ella Fitzgerald being the Queen AFAIC, so without further ado, if you aint got any Ella in your collection try this :

B000087HXQ.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Andi, Im sure I caught the tale end of that Madeliebe Perrioux girl the other night on a TV ad, is does she sound like a cross between Ella & Edith Piaf? Anyway her voice instantly hooked me after 10 seconds exposure. One to try for me anyway, how would you describe her music.

(Edit - just spent £12 on 2 CDs from this girl after reading the Amazon user reviews)

Glens of Antrim wrote:

Kate is bloody wonderful - funny, sexy, amazing, amazing voice - I just can't believe she isn't better known. And a new album out tomorrow!

Totally agree with you. I only discovered her earlier this year, but have since bought all her CDs and her DVD. Can't wait to listen to the new album, which I ordered from Amazon today.

You may want to check out Laura Cantrell. She's country rather than folk, but she has a great voice. Check out www.lauracantrell.com - some very good downloads there for you to sample.

ray70 wrote:

You may want to check out Laura Cantrell. She's country rather than folk, but she has a great voice. Check out http://www.lauracantrell.com - some very good downloads there for you to sample.

Thanks for the hint Ray, will certainly check her out. I used to say that I didn't like country tbh - until I heard Will Oldham & Alison Krauss :)

Cheers GofA

cjr wrote:

Andi, Im sure I caught the tale end of that Madeliebe Perrioux girl the other night on a TV ad, is does she sound like a cross between Ella & Edith Piaf? Anyway her voice instantly hooked me after 10 seconds exposure. One to try for me anyway, how would you describe her music.

(Edit - just spent £12 on 2 CDs from this girl after reading the Amazon user reviews)

cjr. Sorry in the delay in replying. I would saythemusichas a folky/acoustic/jazzy feel to it. Quite easy listening really. And to boot its a stunning recording with deep bass. Highly recommended

Chaps... get hold of Jennifer Warnes album "Famous Blue Raincoat". Not only a beautiful voice, covering Cohen songs and making them sound better than Cohen did (he sings on one or two) but also one of THE great quality recordings which makes any HiFi sing!... Promise you won't be sorry.

rockmeister wrote:

Chaps... get hold of Jennifer Warnes album "Famous Blue Raincoat". Not only a beautiful voice, covering Cohen songs and making them sound better than Cohen did (he sings on one or two) but also one of THE great quality recordings which makes any HiFi sing!... Promise you won't be sorry.

Yes:DExcellent record especially Joan of Arc and Bird on a Wire:cool:

Guest purplepleaser

Thanks for the list of names. i can see an expensive few months ahead. Well more expensive than usual

lee