josh

Gothic singing/chanting

Sorry boxer, forgot your first post! I'll see if I can track them all down and listen to them in a shop first but if I can't, I'll get back to you on that offer - thank you :)

Edit - there are loads of their CDs! through flickingthrough the few small samples on Amazon, I've found that one or two of their other ones are a fair bit darker than A Feather on the Breath of God - so perhaps shall try and listen to them more fully.

josh wrote:

Also, are there any high-pitched (I guess female or choir-boy) (yes Injector my peversion knows no end) songs?

The absolute classic is the Allegri Miserere, which has a spine-chilling high-soaring sporano. The two great versions (in my personal order of preference) are the famous King's College/Willcocks version (sung in English), with Roy Goodman as treble soloist, and the Tallis Scholars/Phillips version with Alison Stamp. I find the English version especially effective, as you can understand the words, and they are particularly miserere (the penitential Psalm 51).

The piece was for a long time the jealously-guarded secret of the Sistine Chapel Choir, for whom Allegri wrote it, but it was all spoiled, so the story goes, by one (there was only one) Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, who attended a performance, went back to his lodgings and wrote the whole thing down from memory.

Mournful chant it isn't, but Gothic it definitely is:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00006L3IE/203-4884426-7223942?v=glance&n=229816

This was madeby the late, great David Munrow, one of the great pioneers of early music.Itgives the lie to those who say that early CDs weren't well recorded - there is one track in which there are bells, and the sound seems to hang in the air in the most amazingly lifelike way.

Hmm - I found that a bit jolly and light..

But thanks again Tones. The problem I have - and it's similar with me to Classical music is that even when you find what you want, there are so many different recordings and versions that to the uninitiated me, it all gets a bit bewildering. I'm not the sort to think 'sod it, I'll get whatever one because they all sound pretty much the same to me' - but I don't have the time to actually go and listen through all the versions - argh!

So yes, please continue to let me know which versions are generally considered the best recordings as you have done :)

Second Tones' suggestion of the Allegri Miserere (I love the Tallis Scholars' version, which has fine accompanying pieces from Mundy & Palestrina), but am aware that we are movimg into Renaissance polyphony here, which maybe isn't quite what you asked about, Josh.

Happy listening,

Boxer

josh wrote:

Thanks Tones & SS, I'll go and track them down.

Apart from Vespers and Chaliapin, are there any othersworth considering?

Also, are there any high-pitched (I guess female or choir-boy) (yes Injector my peversion knows no end) songs? I suppose more 'real' versions of the sort offemale vocalsyou get on Delerium, or other 80's industrial bands (see that thread).

:lmao:

Haven't read the full thread - lazy git - so apologies if I'm repeating what's been said before but try for a start anything by these medieval composers:

Josquin des Prez - (The Clerks' Group/Wickham)

Dufay - (The Clerks' Group/Wickham)

Ockeghem - (Oxford Camerata / Summerly & The Clerks' Group again who're imo excellent)

William Byrd - The Masses (The Cardinall's Musick/Carwood)

Don't forget Mozart, Bach & Monteverdi too.

GofA

Guest murray johnson

Injector wrote:

josh wrote:
Thanks Tones & SS, I'll go and track them down.

Apart from Vespers and Chaliapin, are there any othersworth considering?

Also, are there any high-pitched (I guess female or choir-boy) (yes Injector my peversion knows no end) songs? I suppose more 'real' versions of the sort offemale vocalsyou get on Delerium, or other 80's industrial bands (see that thread).

:lmao:

Try this

allegri.jpg

Fantastic singing but the words of Miserere are very amusing too. Much unworthiness, self flagellationand tugging of forelocks

Injector wrote:

Why do you want to hear gloomy chanting that sounds like it's coming from a haunted old vault, you freak?:shock:

Because he is cool.;)IME people who like this type of ghoulish music don'thave stormtrooper costumes in their closet, they have Batman's.:raoflmfao::raoflmfao::raoflmfao:

Just remembered, composer Michael Nyman put out an amazing soundtrack for Peter Greenaway's equally amazing flesh-flick: "The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover". You get to hear the haunting sounds of a Gothic-esque choir and even a high-pitched boy singer. Its the kinda sick music a shrink would order for our freaky Josh.:22:

Highly recommended. Check out Nyman's "Miserere Paraphrase".

SS