josh

Gothic singing/chanting

Not sure if this is technically 'classical' music but it probably belongs in here more than anywhere else.

I'm looking for some dark, gloomy gothic chanting - the sort that sounds like its coming from medieval cloisters somewhere in a forest or some sort of haunted vaunt.

I know you can get Gregorian Monk chanting which I've heard a bit of before but it wasn't really dark enough. Does anyone have any suggestions as to whats around?

I know there's a massive HMV which has a large classical section so might go in there and ask. But any pointers?

Thanks,

I have some Hildegard von Bingen stuff by the nuns of the Abbey of St Hildegard on the Regis label, which may suit, but it isn't that dark - female voices...

You could check out Jan Garbarek & the Hilliard Ensemble's Officium, which is /was recorded in an abbey & is darker in sound, but you have to factor in Master Garbarek's sax, which may not be to your tastes (the ECM website may have some clips on it).

Boxer

Are you sure you want "classical" music at all?

Try the Gothic/Mediaeval end of the Dark Ambient spectrum: early Dead can Dance, solo stuff by Lisa Gerrard, Black Tape for a Blue Girl, Arcana, Raison d'Etre, QNTAL all good things to try. :)

Consider also music of the Russian Orthodox Church, which is all a capella choral (instruments are forbidden in Orthodox liturgical music). Try out the Rachmaninov Vespers, with its deep, growling basses, descending to an astonishing low B flat in the Russian version of the Nunc Dimittis (nyne oputschaeschi or something like that in Church Slavonic).

meninblack wrote:

Are you sure you want "classical" music at all?

Try the Gothic/Mediaeval end of the Dark Ambient spectrum: early Dead can Dance, solo stuff by Lisa Gerrard, Black Tape for a Blue Girl, Arcana, Raison d'Etre, QNTAL all good things to try. :)

Nope, I've got all that stuff already thanks :)

It's just the singing I want - like Gregorian monk chanting hymns is the closest I can describe.

tones wrote:

Consider also music of the Russian Orthodox Church, which is all a capella choral (instruments are forbidden in Orthodox liturgical music). Try out the Rachmaninov Vespers, with its deep, growling basses, descending to an astonishing low B flat in the Russian version of the Nunc Dimittis (nyne oputschaeschi or something like that in Church Slavonic).

Thanks - can I just ask for those names or are there any CDs that they come on?

I'd certainly recommend checking out Tones' Russian tip. IME no men of other nationalities can reach down as deep as a Russian bass. Russia has an enviable tradition of turning out great earthy bass voices - like Chaliapin.:*:

You'd want the Vespers with real Russian men, not Anglican Englishmen.;) Any version by the St Petersburg Choir would be a good starting point.

SS

josh wrote:

So that when I have thecaptured maidens tied to my cellar walls, I can have something to scare them withduring their waking hours.

Yes but if the monks are down there chanting, they won't be scared. I'd be more scared if I was in a haunted vault alone.:geek:

josh wrote:

tones wrote:

Thanks - can I just ask for those names or are there any CDs that they come on?

They all come on a single CD, simply called the Rachmaninov Vespers (sometimes also called the All-Night Easter Vigil). There are now quite a few recordings of the piece, but heed Solid's advice, get a Russian one. The Western choirs may be better technically, but no Western choir comes anywhere near the black tone and the, well, for want of a better word, soul of the Russian choirs - it just seems to be in their bones. And those basses can go down...and down...and down...

The greatest of all recordings is the one made for Melodiya in the 1960s by Alexander Sveshnikov and the RSFSR Academy Choir; this is now almost impossible to get, so I treasure my vinyl and CD versions. The St. Petersburg Choir one is a good one.

P.S. For anyone interested, Sveshnikov's version is apparently alive and well and living in Russia - and so it should, the performance is a national treasure:

http://www.russiandvd.com/store/product.asp?sku=37341&genreid=

Thanks Tones & SS, I'll go and track them down.

Apart from Vespers and Chaliapin, are there any othersworth considering?

Also, are there any high-pitched (I guess female or choir-boy) (yes Injector my peversion knows no end) songs? I suppose more 'real' versions of the sort offemale vocalsyou get on Delerium, or other 80's industrial bands (see that thread).

Gothic Voices' Hildegard von Bingen stuff (A Feather on the Breath of God) on Hyperion is worth a punt, as is the one I mentioned above (don't know if it's still available, but PM me and I'll burn you a copy. I also have an "English" version of the Rachmaninov Vespers, which is OK, but as Solid & Tones say lacks that characteristic Russian bass).

Boxer