SSM

Classical bLog Cabin

Guest earl of sodbury

Duvet wrote:

hardy.jpg

Dour looking bastard isn't he

So would you be with a bat roosting under your nose.

Solid will have a cow when he sees all that unruly nose-hair...

Duvet wrote:

No you've started the tortuous journey you must finish it.

Bed Spread Bitch :D

Duvet wrote:

hardy.jpg

Dour looking bastard isn't he

Indeed. It's no wonder they have decided to rename Leningrad to St Petersburg.:lmao:

solidstateman wrote:

Ta, AK. Given the huge number of new threads thatrain upon this hot section, your kind gesture is appreciated for it prevents m'thread from disappearing suddenly down the sink.;)
w'ere still young yet solid, one dy you'll have plenty other classic fans to play with

Guest Umberto

I like the classics but my memory isn't that great so as they usually have long falutin names i forget half the composers.

Currently listening to Rachmaninov :cool:

Umberto Vanni wrote:

I like the classics but my memory isn't that great so as they usually have long falutin names i forget half the composers.

Currently listening to Rachmaninov :cool:

Time to play amateur psychic! :D

Symphony No.2, yea?

Guest Umberto

Currently Piano Concerto No.1 in F sharp minor, op. 1

Allegro vivace

rachmani.jpg

The man himself.

solidstateman wrote:

Well, I have chucked that Hardy collection back into the vaults. Got as far as half of "Tess" before I surrender.gif. "Jude" was darker, but there seems to be a claustrophobic and uneasy atmosphere to Hardy's writing style which makes me shudder.:(Perhaps I'll wait another ten years or when I'm sixty and over the cable-reel before giving Hardy another go.:P

OMG Solid you did better with 'Tess' than I & it was one of my 'A' level set texts. I must admit that having to study Hardy - combined with theconstant sense of impending doom - put me off him for life. Tried Jude a few years back & 40 pages confirmed my prejudice. Best way to experience Hardy's novels' is via BBC classic serials imho.

My favourite Victorian author is WMThackeray. Vanity Fair is a masterpiece imo. WMT was able to produce a panoramic canvas for his 3 dimensional characters to interact & inhabit.And in Becky Sharp he created literature's first 3-D female character. His work is also fun, racy & largely free of mawkishness.

Dickens ain't bad either.

Regards, GofA

Good point about the TV adaptations... hardy is always mych better on film or TV than on the page.... the film version of "Far from the Madding Crowd" with Julie Christie and Alan Bates is superb, and like thebook it actually has a happy ending! But it doesn't happen until the end though...:)

The ITV version of "the Mayor of Casterbridge" with Ciaran Hinds a couple of years ago was also good, maybe a bit picture postcard but well written and acted.

Elizabeth Gaitskell is one ofmy favourite Victorian writers, very easy to read and moves along quickly, tons of characterisation and insight. The TV version of Wives and Daugters a few years back was brilliant.

Likewise George Eliot's "Middlemarch", but the book itself is very difficult - beautifully written but I need to read every sentence 3 times before I really understand it.

Solid I recommend reading Wilbur Smith. Start with something like Birds of Prey then Monsoon and Blue Horizon. Its full on boys own stuff. Seventeenth and Eighteenth centuryripping yarns of daring deeds that include rape ,debauchery.pillaging ,piracy ,killing nicely and killingextremely violently. Er greed on a grand scale and all in the name of the King and England. Cor it makes me proud. God bless Harry this sceptered isle etc etc etc :cs::cs::cs:

Didn't know Wilbur Smith was one of the great Victorian novelists, Duvey.;)His name rings a distant bell. I think I may have read one of his books when I was a young lad, but I can't remember which one it was! Aging mind... :nup:

'Tis cool to be able to know which Victorian scribe is the favourite of other Wammers. DH Lawrence gets my vote. I think I must have read his "LadyChatterley's Lover" nearly50 times now. It remains as fresh and invigorating:P asthe very first time I'd read it, and the perfectarmchair companion to a good recording ofWagner's "Tristan und Isolde".

luigi-cherubini-1-sized.jpg

Today is the birthday of Italian composer Maria Luigi Carlo Zenobio Salvatore Cherubini (1760-1842), or Luigi. Beethoven greatly admired him and admitted that he was in part inspired to compose his opera 'Fidelio', by Cherubini's operas. Much of Cherubini's output is rarely performed nowadays. Amongst our current generation of classical music lovers, he is primarily known best for his opera Médée (1797) - it being a dramatic vehicle for the legendary Greek soprano Maria Callas who single-handedly revived it. Happy birthday, Luigi! :party::mm:You would have been 245 yo today.:D

B000069V7R.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Scorching "Medea" from Callas and Leonard Bernstein

Duvet wrote:

Solid I recommend reading Wilbur Smith. Start with something like Birds of Prey then Monsoon and Blue Horizon. Its full on boys own stuff. Seventeenth and Eighteenth centuryripping yarns of daring deeds that include rape ,debauchery.pillaging ,piracy ,killing nicely and killingextremely violently. Er greed on a grand scale and all in the name of the King and England. Cor it makes me proud. God bless Harry this sceptered isle etc etc etc :cs::cs::cs:

Have read a couple of Mr Smith's. Frederick Forsyth has him whipped IMO. The latest from Forsyth is called Avenger and if you like Smith you will love this action packed, boys own page turner. No hi faloooten literary feast here. Just a damn good yarn for the boys. :D

Now SS correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't that mad bitch Callas the regular concubine of good old lets hear it for the boys and its a man's world Aristotle Onnassis. For a short chain -smoking bubble he shagged a lot of birds. Oh being a multi multi million billionare may have helped in the whats inside my trousers game with the young ladies:D

Fie! Irishman-with-Pathetique-Hair-like-a-Cheap-Plastic-Doll's, how dare you try to fling clods on Mme Callas --- the Patron Goddess of all Discerning Operaphiles!!! :x:X:XI'm about to have an all-Callassessionthis weekend.Listening to her in Verdi'sUn Ballo un Maschera with Votto, even as I fume.:cool:

:peace:

As far as Callas' legions are concerned, our Divine Diva was used and then spurned by that Arissi'ole, for Tacky Jacky, the shopaholic marital leftovers of the overrated JFK a.k.a. Irish-Pressie-Who-Spent-Most-of-His-Life-Living-Under-Ladies-Skirts. All the better then,for Tacky Jackydeserved a man like Arissi'ole more.But too bad for our beloved La Divina. Like any opera role shetackled, she also put 500% of herintense soul in herromantic relationships and got the wrong end of the deal.icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gifBut fear not, her legend lives on forever, stronger and more cherished than all of the above lifelong bog-roll wasters.:roll:

B000002RY4.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg:^:^:^:^:^Superb. One of her best Verdi records.