Sign in to follow this  

Laura Veirs

Guest earl of sodbury

Duvet wrote:

I dooooonnnnt believe it. This thread been here a week or so and i order it Saturday only for you to inform me it may be shit. I'm very pleased with your new purchase Earl but also remember you have an inherent responsibility to the forum and in this instance you have been sadly lacking. Consider yourself told off and forgiven. I now get the impression that Miss Veirs perception of a Brazilian is vastly different to mine.:roll:

Sorry Duvet, but I've been largely out of touch for the last week... . . . . . . . ...for the last 41 years if I'm really honest...

Use that Google wisely, Dearly Beloved, and avoid a major pain in the ears...

churz, eofs

Doesn't sound whiney to me...perhaps it's those MF amps. :lwink:

Seriously, there is an excellent site ( www.allmusic.com ) which has biographies, discographies and loads of samples for musicians of almost every ilk. Give it a go!

Duvet wrote:

I dooooonnnnt believe it. This thread been here a week or so and i order it Saturday only for you to inform me it may be shit. I'm very pleased with your new purchase Earl but also remember you have an inherent responsibility to the forum and in this instance you have been sadly lacking. Consider yourself told off and forgiven. I now get the impression that Miss Veirs perception of a Brazilian is vastly different to mine.:roll:

Thank f*ck i didnt buy it or it would have been another one on the eno pile ;)

Hawk

Cloth-Ears wrote:

I listened to that Laura Veirs and I thought both her music and voicebland and boring.

Here is something you should all sample to hear more character voice in this superb song "Rain and Snow" by The Lonesome Sisters. Great double bass playing too by June Drucker. Unfortunately most of their music is also bland and boring, but hear this:

http://cdbaby.com/mp3lofi/lonesomesisters2-06.m3u

Hmm...something wrong here, just listened to that, sounds very much like this....

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005OAGD/104-9809969-3673510?v=glance

Scroll down for the sample of "rain and snow"

Cloth-Ears wrote:

Oh no it doesn't !

Dreadful version of it.

But thanks for posting it anyway. Its a good thing to link music to each other to try. I listened through the samples and it didn't do much for me but as I say, I welcome the links. Thanks.

Folks, listen to that Rain and Snow then scroll up and listen to my Rain and Snow.

You are welcome, personally, I think The Be Good Tanyas are pretty cool in a "6 fingered banjo player with webbed feet" kind of way...and in answer to another of your posts..I am going... ;)

Played Laura Veirstonight and its not bad. Vocally she is just as you imagine her to be. So where's the the hook if she one of those folky seen it done it broads . The instrumentation of the songs is the key to the album. They all start as simple songs and you think hey i know exactly where this is going but it doesn't pan out that way. Things start happening off kilter that starts taking your interest away from the simple melody in the forefront of the song and more to whats going on in the backgroundand you forget that her voice is not what you'd hoped it would be. I can tell that its not a 9/10 album but its not a 5/10 either. Its of course somewhere in the middle.

I heard a track on the Mark Radcliffe show last night and was quite impressed. Her voice has a coarseness to it which reminds me a bit of Suzanne Vega - no bad thing by any means. She's playing live on the Mark Radcliffe show in October.

Of topic a bit, but MartinC and I both tried to promote the Mark Radcliffe show in the Hi Fi Choice Forum a while back. It's a good show with a decent mixture of old and new music. Have been introduced to a lot of new artists on the back of hearing them on his show. Give it a try folks!