Sign in to follow this  
Guest paskinn

230 volts...notional

Guest paskinn

As I understand it, all of Europe is designated as having the same 230v/50hz supply from the mains.But we know that in the UK the real voltage is more like 240V, and in Europe it is about 220v. That is a 8% difference. So what voltage are manufacturers standardising on? What is ideal for Europe will over-drive stuff in the uk.I know that the regulations specify a range of output within the normal spec, but 240v stuff must have a much smaller margin of safety if using transformers optimised for the rest of Europe. Or have I got it all wrong?

If it's sold in Europe - and CE marked - then it has to be safe over the whole range of voltages allowed in the EU, ie 207 - 253V.

meninblack wrote:

If it's sold in Europe - and CE marked - then it has to be safe over the whole range of voltages allowed in the EU, ie 207 - 253V.

Hah! Well I measured my mains the other days (no, I'm not that sad, I was troubleshooting an amp) and it was 255V. Go figure.

i_should_coco wrote:

meninblack wrote:

Hah! Well I measured my mains the other days (no, I'm not that sad, I was troubleshooting an amp) and it was 255V. Go figure.

Your lecky supplier is naughty! 253 V is the maximum permittted.... :?

Assuming your meter is accurate, of course. ;-)

bameninblack wrote:

i_should_coco wrote:
meninblack wrote:

Fluke 187, basic accuracy 0.08%. Not exactly a £4.99 special from Maplins.

i_should_coco wrote:

bameninblack wrote:
i_should_coco wrote:
meninblack wrote:

Write and complain, they are in breach of The Electricity Supply (Amendment) (No. 2) Regulations 1994 - see if you can get a discount! :D

meninblack wrote:

i_should_coco wrote:
bameninblack wrote:
i_should_coco wrote:
meninblack wrote:

Write and complain, they are in breach of The Electricity Supply (Amendment) (No. 2) Regulations 1994 - see if you can get a discount! :D

Lol, Sounds like and excuse to get the Fluke 287 :love: - that does data logging - I can connect it over a few days. :D

Tell them you refuse to pay for electricity which is being supplied illegally, in breach of Harmonised European standards.... :D

meninblack wrote:

Tell them you refuse to pay for electricity which is being supplied illegally, in breach of Harmonised European standards.... :D

I can see that going well:

Me - "Meninblack says you're supplying my electricity illegally, I don't want to pay for it."

Them - "Ok, we'll stop supplying it."

Me - :x

i_should_coco wrote:

meninblack wrote:

ours is 238V :)

Guest paskinn

The point I am making does matter (I think.) If you are in France,Germany etc, then you will have a supply of around 220V, and thus a large safety margin on the transformers (whicg will last longer as a result, and fail less often.) On top of that the whole circuit will see a 'gentler' supply, and be less taxed. Here, in the UK, that safety margin will be more than halved..everything in the circuit gets worked far harder. Which leads me to suspect that gear from Europe may often be less reliable here (and from the States.) There are other issues, such as the noise that over stressed transformers make. And can we really believe that most manufacturers go to the trouble of providing 240v taps...which manufacturers offer that? Not many I think. What about stuff from China, and Japan,what voltage are they set for? The truth is that most st7uff we buy may well be set for 220/230 volts, with a distinctly dodgy 'safety margin.'