Sign in to follow this  

ZYX Catridges

Has anyone tried anyof these and if so what were their experiences .

Ta in advance

They are all excellent - even the cheap R50 Bloom.

Charlie

They seem to be popular and well regarded sonically. People have been a bit less complimentary about fitting them though.

I have an out of production RS10 02 I bought S/H from a fellow wammer. Very silent background and sounds prettydecent too. :^

Tons of Fun wrote:

They seem to be popular and well regarded sonically. People have been a bit less complimentary about fitting them though.

I can't understand why you would have any more hassle than any other cartridge?

What grief did you experience?

Another happy ZYX owner here. Brilliant on detail and musicality, minimises groove noise. It replaced a Benz LP in my system (and that's another bloody good cartridge) which I'm keeping. No doubt I'll swap them about at 6 monthly intervals, just for a bit of a change.

Danny - since you already have the Shelter 901, which particular ZYX carts are you considering and in what areas are you looking for improvements?

Don't know about the house sound, I have papas old one.

Good cartrdige, Replaced an old music maker mk111 with a stylus that was wearing out.

The difference was big, more of everything. But since the initial difference and a bit more detail it has just sat there and done its job quietly. I don't notice it tbh.

Which is a good thing in my book. Will only replace it when it dies (not sure what with though :D )

The ZYX carts have a fairly neutral and clean presentation. Certainly slightly cooler than the 901 for starters. Danny, how much is the 4D these days? I would be looking at a few other options too at that kind of money!

Stuckinarut wrote:

Tons of Fun wrote:

I can't understand why you would have any more hassle than any other cartridge?

What grief did you experience?

Another happy ZYX owner here. Brilliant on detail and musicality, minimises groove noise. It replaced a Benz LP in my system (and that's another bloody good cartridge) which I'm keeping. No doubt I'll swap them about at 6 monthly intervals, just for a bit of a change.

The mountson quite a few of themare unthreaded which is a pain and the non parallel sides don't favour the inept like myself. I'm a bit ofan oddity here as I do need to change between two carts quite often but I guess most people wouldn't have this.

Papa Lazarou wrote:

The ZYX carts have a fairly neutral and clean presentation. Certainly slightly cooler than the 901 for starters. Danny, how much is the 4D these days? I would be looking at a few other options too at that kind of money!

Anything in particular? :whistle:

Aside from my personal fave, the AN UK IO range, I would also look at VDH, Transfiguration and Dynavector for starters. ZYX too of course!

Add Clearaudio to that list and of course Shelter.

At this level it is going to be as much about equipment matching as anything else, I think I would take more notice of people who have used your phono stage Danny.

KingXfan has used a Zyx Yatra with a few different SS phonostages I believe.