Random image of the day 3

The old one is showing signs of wear, so out with the old, in with the new.

:^

Maybe I will start a sub form for these threads, so they are all kept together.

Taken today. :D

Guyzance1.jpg?t=1257972237

jkbmusic wrote:

Guyzance1.jpg?t=1257972237

That's a beautiful picture jkbmusic.Where is it?

Ian Sampson wrote:

jkbmusic wrote:

That's a beautiful picture jkbmusic.Where is it?

Thanks, Not far from Here Between Felton & Warkworth. :D

sorry, more bloody landscapes from a man in love with his surroundings.

I think I need a decent lens: any ideas?

SunRays_over_Dittisham.jpg

Cracking shots Mr. Cat :^. Where is the first one?.

Scarlet, I never tire of landscapes.:^

Mr pimpernel,

I dont know your level of knowledge of photography, so forgive me if I'm suggesting stuff you already know !

First, get yourself a tripod. Even a cheap used one off ebay for a tenner (like wot mine is) is perfect.

Next, shoot at something like f8 or smaller, this will give a sharper shot with more in focus.

Next, the reason for the tripod. Take 2, or even 3 shots, at different exposures, without moving the camera, AT ALL ! You can use bracketing on your 500D for this, or simply adjust it manually usinging the thumb wheel. You can then combine these shots in an editing program to give a perfectly exposed shot.

Hope this is some help as you may find you dont really need a better lens ;-)

Borats Baby wrote:

Mr pimpernel,

I dont know your level of knowledge of photography, so forgive me if I'm suggesting stuff you already know !

First, get yourself a tripod. Even a cheap used one off ebay for a tenner (like wot mine is) is perfect.

Next, shoot at something like f8 or smaller, this will give a sharper shot with more in focus.

Next, the reason for the tripod. Take 2, or even 3 shots, at different exposures, without moving the camera, AT ALL ! You can use bracketing on your 500D for this, or simply adjust it manually usinging the thumb wheel. You can then combine these shots in an editing program to give a perfectly exposed shot.

Hope this is some help as you may find you dont really need a better lens ;-)

Good advice BB,

No, please suggest any advice: although I had some formal training in Photography when I did my graphic design degree, it seems that much of it has been lost in my mind - mainly through laziness on my behalf. Amazing considering we used to have a fully equipped analogue darkroom!

I know about using the tripod - and I know it makes an enormous difference. In fact, I have an excellent, heavy Manfrotto. It's just that I often go for a walk and grab the camera "just in case", and sod's law usually dictates that's exactly the time when I see the best shots. I think I need to be more thorough about equipment when I go out taking shots: like Mr Cat, PurplePleaser and yourself: I see you all get very consistent results.

But the f.8 idea is something I'll try. Thanks.

Re: the lens: I'm still using the Canon EFS 18-55mm that was bundled together when I bought the package, and although it's great considering how inexpensive it is: the fact remains that the lens simply doesn't have the finesse to grab enough detail.

I'm happy to be patient and buy new toys slowly.

I think I will take s2000db advice and look at a decent Sigma.

I saw one recently but my parsimonious alter-ego got the better of me at the time.

... now where's that dusty wallet of mine! :roll:

Cheers,

SP

Mr Cat wrote

4081263979_4d865f8861.jpg

..beautiful shot Mr Cat: you're an inspiration!

SP