josh

Tune name search..

I know this is a bit of a long shot but hoping someone can help me. It's a tune I've been after for years and have never caught the name of it or who it's by. It's quite militaristic, they play it on loads of war documentary type programsif that's any help. Violins are prominent and it has a sort of sad disjointed violin melody over the top of a dum de dum bass.

I can't be any more specific!

any suggestions?

That is a very long shot.... could be lots of things.

But as anattempt I'd guess either the slow movement of Shostakovich's 5th symphony, or Carl Davis's theme music for "The World at War" documentary series from the 1970s which has been repeated dozens of times since.

josh wrote:

...a sort of sad disjointed violin melody...

doesn't sound like Mars from the Planets or "Ride of the Valkyries" or "Night on Bare Mountain" to me

kennyk wrote:

I think I know the one you mean, but I don't know what it is either.

dum de dummm de dum de dummm de dum de dum de dummm dummm ?

I think you are right but insn't it more like:

dum de dummm de dum de dummm de dedum de dum de dummm dummmdummm ?

kennyk wrote:

Yes! thats it - oh thank you, recognition...although still tantalisingly far from the answer. Now two of us are searching... meh we can't be the only ones that know what we mean...

I've asked so many people and tried to sing it so many times and no-one has ever got me or known. It was even on Radio4 this morning in the background.

josh wrote:

kennyk wrote:

Yes! thats it - oh thank you, recognition...although still tantalisingly far from the answer. Now two of us are searching... meh we can't be the only ones that know what we mean...

I've asked so many people and tried to sing it so many times and no-one has ever got me or known. It was even on Radio4 this morning in the background.

I've posted the answer two posts above:

Romeo and Juliet Suite no 2, Op. 64b: Montagues and Capulets

By Sergei Prokovief. :cool:

Well I'd forgotten about this thread and kept wondering about the tune periodically. Then today I happened to come across it again by accident and finally listened - and yes! Thank you very much, that's put me out of about 12 years of wondering. Admittedly 10 of those were my fault for not checking out your suggestion sooner, but thank you again!

It's a wonderful tune. Funny how it's always used in war documentaries. Even the picture on the YT video is of WW2.

Any suggestions as to best recordings of it?