Sign in to follow this  
lexi

Usual Moving coil question

Last time I used MC was with integrated amp and AT step up transformer.......moons ago! I have had a few Phono stages to partner my Kel 84. Atm I am happy with thelil Project Valve item Igot from Jerry..................don`t worry guys it is screwed down to the table so it don`t SWOP itself:shock:.....:D

It has MC facility. So the transformer is built in? Cartridge will be Denon 103.

Excuse my ignorance..............I just aint been payin attention :grrr:

Yes - actually I don't think it's a transformer but an active gain stage - but for practical purposes its equivalent to. I've used a Tubebox with a 103 and it was fine. Don't ask me to remember what load setting I used though because I can't remember.

PS. the old advice about needing a heavy arm for a 103 is absolutely right though.

lexi wrote:

Thanks UA. In buying phono box I have got a free lunch then. Is Rb 300 with a 56LB weight on the HS suited to D103?:D. The Rb is on the Lenco. Looking at a few other arms.

Might be a tad too much ;-), but adding about 10 grams at the headshell would be in the right ballpark - and you'll need to add some to the counterweight as well I suspect.

I actually got pretty good results out of it on an old Rega R200, 12g Sumiko headshell (it's about 6g heavier than the std one and with the standard one it's about 4g heavier than the RB300) plus the extra weight the 103 comes with. I blutacked an 8mm ball bearing into the end stub to give me the extra in the counterweight. Bit of a bodge, but a workable bodge.