Sign in to follow this  
iceman56

WHAT REALLY MAKES A DIFFERANCE ?

I remember anotehr man that used to spell "DIFFERANCE" [sic] wrong in the same way.

Could that be... Dave?

SergeAuckland wrote:

arturo wrote:
Rooms, speakers, amplifier, in that order.

Agreed, with the first two only........

If a source is transparent.......

If (and it is a mighty big IF) the source is transparent I might agree - however, as it is, I disagree with the basic premise.

SergeAuckland wrote:

Even a supposed synergy between a room and a loudspeaker I question. A good room will work with a wide variety of loudspeakers.

This is true. Of course getting a good room is far and away the hardest part of the audio equation for most of us.

Low distortion transducers have been around for quite a while now. Add linearity and controlled dispersion and differences between speakers begin to become very hard to hear.

I've found electricity to have a considerable influence on system performance. Without it my system is somewhat inert.

gthang wrote:

alcohol and the time of day.

I wonder that yesterday while demoing a new pair :zip:

To me, and may be a bit predictable answer to some - they are all important. Even the best speakers in the world can sound flat and bright if driven by under power amplification, and if source is not up to standard of the rest you will hear that too. Room is very important but for most of us who have wife, children and average wage, not much we can really do!

HiFiWigWam wrote:

I remember anotehr man that used to spell "DIFFERANCE" [sic] wrong in the same way.

Could that be... Dave?

Anotehr? anotehr?

"He who lives in a glass house etc....." ! :D

YNWAN wrote:

SergeAuckland wrote:
arturo wrote:
Rooms, speakers, amplifier, in that order.

Agreed, with the first two only........

If a source is transparent.......

If (and it is a mighty big IF) the source is transparent I might agree - however, as it is, I disagree with the basic premise.

Agreed, this (CD players) is one area I'm struggling tbh. A £10 I'm sure can be measured flat and so is a £1000 player but the difference is obvious.

Anyways, audiophile capacitors make a difference and unfortunately can cost quite a bit.

JJ

icehockeyboy wrote:

HiFiWigWam wrote:

Could that be... Dave?

Anotehr? anotehr?

"He who lives in a glass house etc....." ! :D

:roll:

Miss the point as usual craig.

Dedicated foo racks don't make any more difference to the sound than a decent high mass, level shelf or cabinet. It really makes me angry when reviewers spout endless guff about the differences between 2 racks being "night & day". Yes, I can understand that keeping a CD player or TT level and free from external vibration is important. But keeping amp's level and vibration free is just another myth propagated by the industry to push more foo on the audiophool. Do the electrons flow differently down hill or something? And microphony in circuit components due to external vibration is also another red herring.

Cable raisers, green pens, focal points under amps all do absolutely NOTHING apart from relieve you of your money. I remember reading somewhere that lining up all the screws on the rear panels of the components in your system made a huge difference to the sound. :x No wonder most audiophool's are considered complete loonies by "normal" music lovers.

Chris.

zebra100 wrote:

Dedicated foo racks don't make any more difference to the sound than a decent high mass, level shelf or cabinet. It really makes me angry when reviewers spout endless guff about the differences between 2 racks being "night & day". Yes, I can understand that keeping a CD player or TT level and free from external vibration is important. But keeping amp's level and vibration free is just another myth propagated by the industry to push more foo on the audiophool. Do the electrons flow differently down hill or something? And microphony in circuit components due to external vibration is also another red herring.

Cable raisers, green pens, focal points under amps all do absolutely NOTHING apart from relieve you of your money. I remember reading somewhere that lining up all the screws on the rear panels of the components in your system made a huge difference to the sound. :x No wonder most audiophool's are considered complete loonies by "normal" music lovers.

Chris.

Not in some valve amps I have heard it isn't

That was a Jimmy Hughes piss take, and as usual the humour disappears along with the context, and he was talking about the screw heads in the plugs :D

Cloth-Ears wrote:

Cable dressing i.e. the way you support your cables on wooden blocks and anti-interference wall pins, and also mains wire.

You are an inspiration :^. I have just lined up my puss with next doors tabby job, tails erect, to support my speaker cables. Unfortunately I don't have enough cats to do both sides so stereo imaging is a bit up the creek, coupled with the cats only allowing me to listen to Pussini and Tabbyner.

Tel wrote:

That was a Jimmy Hughes piss take, and as usual the humour disappears along with the context, and he was talking about the screw heads in the plugs :D

Oh bother! I thought he was serious. Does this mean I should undo all my plugs and un-allign all my screw heads :dunno:.

Guest sq225917

room-speaker interface, source, and last by a country mile amps.

I really think that the audiophile community has lost its way from reading the comments on this thread. :x

I would agree with foo-bles like stinkti stone, cabal lifters, hifi fooses etc but to suggest that the heart of systems like CDPs and amps are essentially the same? :nup: