Sign in to follow this  
Joff

New prototype design, what do you think?

asq225917 wrote:

You would expect a suspended deck to be more prone to airborne, but less prone to ground borne noise/vibration.

The proof is always in the pudding as they say and there are no absolute'bests' as far too much personal preference comes into play. I have concrete floors, so don't suffer with the effects of footfall, but have owned a few suspended decks. I found them a bit ofa pain to isolate, even with solid concrete floors. The Michell Orbe SE for examplehas its lower, mid-bass bloom removed if modified to to be asemi-suspended deck. From a hi-fi point of view, thats removing a type ofdistortion which will be prefered by some, not by others. I prefer non-suspended decks myself.

Thanks for the feedback. Seems i'm barking up the right tree on the aesthetics :^

It would be easy to produce a lid but would prefer a 'free standing" type over a hinged one.

This started as a lower priced deck than my others and its still possible, though, I am tempted to include a few extra features that could increase the price somewhat. (maybe they could be an upgrade path :? )

I am aiming around 1.5k mark.

James, I,m using an old copy of some Maxon software, Cinema 4dxl 7. I,ve been using it for years and I can nearly always find a way to achieve what I want although I really do need to get it upgraded sometime:)

I don't think the suspended/non suspended debate will ever be sorted out. There is more than one way to skin a cat :) My preference is for non suspended but I am tinkering with suspended concepts.

Thanks again :^

Jon

Joff wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. Seems i'm barking up the right tree on the aesthetics :^

It would be easy to produce a lid but would prefer a 'free standing" type over a hinged one.

This started as a lower priced deck than my others and its still possible, though, I am tempted to include a few extra features that could increase the price somewhat. (maybe they could be an upgrade path :? )

James, I,m using an old copy of some Maxon software, Cinema 4dxl 7. I,ve been using it for years and I can nearly always find a way to achieve what I want although I really do need to get it upgraded sometime:)

I don't think the suspended/non suspended debate will ever be sorted out. There is more than one way to skin a cat :) My preference is for non suspended but I am tinkering with suspended concepts.

Jon

What spec bearing/motor/plinth do you plan on using for 1.5k??? The renders give the impression of uber quality, along the lines of a statement product...

kingsxfan wrote:

Joff wrote:

Jon

What spec bearing/motor/plinth do you plan on using for 1.5k??? The renders give the impression of uber quality, along the lines of a statement product...

I have to say that I was"aiming" for 1.5k. I may end up missing the mark but its good to have a target:) I don't want to go into too much technical detail yet but the motor will be AC synchronous, the bearing is the heart of a turntable and you cannot cut corners. In fact, I am very proud and excited by the bearing design. The plinth is a part composite with a veneered outer surface.

Super Wammer

Looks very very nice.

Guest sq225917

As split decks without suspension go it's decent looking, not my thing, but as usual very price competitive Jof.

Guest paskinn

Well, yes, a good solid' mass-loaded deck can certainlyoutperform an indifferent deck with suspension. But surely the real question is whether an adequately designed mass-loaded deck is as good as an equally well designed deck with suspension....

A simple test, tap the base of a deck while it is playing at high level....even the 'massiest' decks (is there such a word?) will transmit a 'thump'. Try the same test on a properly designed deck with suspension and the result will be...silence.

The best solution of all (to my ears) is a high mass deck with top classsuspension (such as VPI TNT, various SMEs, older Basis decks etc). Trouble is, they do becomea touch pricey. Bring back the Pink Triangle Anniversary, as wobbly as a jelly , but the sound.......

My Kuzma Stabi was a great example of a heavyweight record player with suspension. The lid was manufactured from oak with a plate glass insert - it weighed at least 5kg on it own.

I didn't do this with my set-up, but I saw another owner deliberately drop the lid closed while a record was playing. The bang as the lid hit the plinth was of 1812 Overture proportions and even though I was expecting it, both made me jump and left me fearing for the integrity of the components involved.

Didn't make the tiniest bit of difference to the music that was playing at the time. And there was no damage to any part of the record replay system. A tribute to Franc Kuzma design.

I doubt an unsuspended design would fare as well in this situation, but is a completely different design and this was hardly a real world situation. It becomes entirely irrelevant if the lid is a single piece completely removed to access the record player.

Both designs have their limitations. When designing an unsuspended system it's probably best to accept the limitations and concentrate on the strengths.

paskinn wrote:

The best solution of all (to my ears) is a high mass deck with top classsuspension (such as VPI TNT, various SMEs, older Basis decks etc). Trouble is, they do becomea touch pricey. Bring back the Pink Triangle Anniversary, as wobbly as a jelly , but the sound.......

That would also be closer to my solution.

Guest BD Audio

Its awesome mate, give yourself a pat on the back. :^

paskinn wrote:

Well, yes, a good solid' mass-loaded deck can certainlyoutperform an indifferent deck with suspension. But surely the real question is whether an adequately designed mass-loaded deck is as good as an equally well designed deck with suspension....

A simple test, tap the base of a deck while it is playing at high level....even the 'massiest' decks (is there such a word?) will transmit a 'thump'. Try the same test on a properly designed deck with suspension and the result will be...silence.

A simple test for what?

My TT has no suspension whatsoever, I bought it in preference to a number of suspended decks, because the sound.........