Sign in to follow this  
Guest pobox-123

Roksan Corus Black Cartridge

Guest pobox-123

I'm thinking about getting the Roksan Corus Black Cartridge, as I have read that this cart has a bright sound, and I am hoping that it should go very well with my tonearm and Quad amps. The Quads are very smooth sounding amps with nice warmth. Please don't get me wrong, my Denon is a very good cart, but it's on the warm sounding side, the Quad amps demand something that has some brightness.

Any other cartridges that go very good with the Rega R200? I know there are better tonearms than the Rega R200, but to me it's still a very good arm. It sounds more powerful than an SME 3009 Series III.

Cheers

Shane

I had one of these in a previous vinyl revival.

IMHO it doesn't even come close to a decent MC cartridge. It has balls and, yes, a slightly bright forward sound. But when it comes to transparency, soundstage, detail, palpability - a MC just suits me so much better. Your tastes may differ, of course. But I think the Roksan is a fairly unsophisticated device in comparison to even a cheap Denon mc.

I had a SoundSmith MM cartridge that had some edge to it. It's quite detailed. Not for me so I sold it. It is from the US so maybe not a good option for someone in the UK.

I've never heard of anyone wanting a bright cartridge before. Seems like an odd thing to want. Maybe its the same as saying you want a neutral/flat and detailed cartridge.

MC and MM impedance and capacitance load adjustments could be used to tilt things up a bit. If the Denon is a high output MC and you have a MM phonostage at 47K impedance then maybe this tweak is not really going to work.

Bryan

Guest pobox-123

Well if I don't like the Roksan cartridge, then I'll try the Dyn 10x5 then.

Like Jerry, I once had a Corus Black but it was fitted in a Gyro/RB300. I quite liked it but was never 100% convinced by it to be honest.

At the moment, for a bit of fun, I'm running an Audio Note IQ3 which, like the Roksan, is a tweaked Goldring 1000 Series - this one has the Ti cantilever and stylus from the AN Io. It's a fine cartridge for sure, but like the Corus it still doesn't have the 'X' factor of a good 'coil in my opinion. Perhaps the phonostage (a CA640P) is letting it down? Who knows, but for what is now nearly 600 quid(!!!!) the IQ3 ought to sound better tbh.

I once compared it (in a Spacedeck/Spacearm) to a Denon DL110 - the Denon was, without a doubt, the superior cartridge and at the time something like 1/6th of the AN's price.

Btw the IQ3 is currently running in a Pioneer PL71 which has an arm remarkably similar to the R200.

DNM Reson Etile sounds right up your street, it is amoving coilbut it isin the Chorus price bracket, I think. With brightness (not harshness)comes detail, I had one for years and loved it.

X

Gromit wrote:

Like Jerry, I once had a Corus Black but it was fitted in a Gyro/RB300. I quite liked it but was never 100% convinced by it to be honest.

At the moment, for a bit of fun, I'm running an Audio Note IQ3 which, like the Roksan, is a tweaked Goldring 1000 Series - this one has the Ti cantilever and stylus from the AN Io. It's a fine cartridge for sure, but like the Corus it still doesn't have the 'X' factor of a good 'coil in my opinion. Perhaps the phonostage (a CA640P) is letting it down? Who knows, but for what is now nearly 600 quid(!!!!) the IQ3 ought to sound better tbh.

I once compared it (in a Spacedeck/Spacearm) to a Denon DL110 - the Denon was, without a doubt, the superior cartridge and at the time something like 1/6th of the AN's price.

Btw the IQ3 is currently running in a Pioneer PL71 which has an arm remarkably similar to the R200.

The TNT review of the Reson Reca which is another tweaked out Goldring includes a comparison to the Reson Elite which is a MC. It basically states that the MC will have more air and detail over the MM Reca. But the MM gets to the heart of the music, the soul, more than the MC does. That's a pretty common assertation I read all the time on comparisons btwn MMs and MCs. Me, I'd like a good balance of both. Not sure if a top of the line MM is the one that can do that. Maybe a Clearaudio Virtuosa is close, or one of the top Grados. Or do you get it from one of the MCs that is able to . Trouble is MCs are so expensive. Or is this balance of MM heart/soul plus MC resolution not achievable at all? And just what is heart/soul anyway?

There is a huge thread on AGon in the analog board titled Who needs MC when you have MM where the OP has stated that good MMs are far better with an impedence load of 100K and not 47K. I'm no expert on MM impedence loading, but I was wondering if 100K results in more "air", giving a bit of MC magic to a MM design. Anyway, the OP his hard core MM and seems to have a lot of people trying it out.

Bryan

Hi I had a corus black a few years back, no better than the goldring that it's based on. Much better results with getting a ortofon rondo red mc.

Guest Umberto

Gromit wrote:

I think you're right. the phono stage is almost definitely letting it down.

The second statement puzzles me :?. Why should it sound better? I have heard the Goldring equivalent and it sounds fine into a better phono stage.

The CA640P is a good phono stage for its price but it is just that, a good budget phono stage.