Sign in to follow this  
Stupinder

Valves and these speaks

Ok this will never happen as i'm far too rubbish to step boldly into the unknown.

Given all the hullabaloo/good things about valves and horny type things then I am, I have to say intriqued. Trouble is there's no way for me to audition, so it's a leap of faith really.

So if I sell the majik and the lk i can expect to get what? (tuppence hapenny I know) This will allow me to buy what kind of valves, to power either -a pair of Keilidhs or a pair of celestion a1s (88db - -problem me thinks). Or do i flog the lot and start with a bit of an experiment and risk being mightily pissed off as i'm actually quite happy with what ive got .......but there's an itch.

Dont take the piss as this is a bit new to me and i want to do the toe dipping thing.

I dunno, I really fancy a change and given that this is a dessert (sic) with regards to hifi emporiums........

What do I do -stick with what I like, buy a pipe (..mmmm), some slippers and who knows what else?

Heart says throw caution to the wind. Mind says "daft bugger"

what music do you listen to most, how bigs the room and how forgiving is Mrs s?

Stupinder wrote:

Given the line of work you're in, iirc, your "Extracting sunbeams from cucumbers" made me smile. Smile extracted from this cucumber -well done!:D:D

que?

rockmeister wrote:

what music do you listen to most, how bigs the room and how forgiving is Mrs s?
Mrs Stup' is very forgiving and lets me get away with just about anything. I listen to all kinds from acoustic to house/tech and the room is bloody huge!!!!! -12 metres by 6 metres - ive just paced it out which has caused great hilarity with our old ex customer from the resto who's just arrived

In which case I suggest you jump right in at the deep end (no point trying something half hearted) and get used horn loudspeakers. The massive sensitivity of most of these designs, (105Db/watt at 1 meter) will allow you to fill a room that size with sound with a PROPER valve amp. I'd look for single ended operation in pure class A with something like 300b valves. These often come in around 8 -15 WPC which will be plenty. My specific amp maker suggestion is Audio Innovations, simply because they were well designed, but are not 'trendy' now so available used at sensible prices.

Go for it, Stuart!

You sound like you're a bit bored with your Linn KrapolaTM ... and I can understand that! ;-)

Some valves and some horny things will be bags more fun. :^... get rid of the bloody Keilidhs while you're at it. There's really no point in hanging on to those, I reckon.

You'll get loads of dynamic excitement and a much more open sound, but you will have to put up with some colourations, I suspect. If that sounds OK, then don't hesitate. I predict you will be 1HB (one happy bunny).

What sort of budget are you thinking of? - and where would you get the kit from?

(Just imo, ymmv etc :cool:)

Stupinder wrote:

sell my kit is the budget! celestion a1, Keilidhs, lk 100 and majik plus a really nice JVC midi xl f1/ ax f1 cd/amp set up
sorry guests just turned up so hurrying. I am bored and want to have a bit of a laugh with hifi

Sorry rocky et al - -confused where i was responding to and went a bit off topic -see VOM's job

no worries....we posted at the same time:)