Sign in to follow this  
JamPal

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Has anyone here NOT heard of him.. if so, may i take this opportunity to use this a thinly veiled opportunity to start a new thread in the very quiet Blues area.

If you have heard of him.. what's your fave?

Texas flood or Live alive for me.

Only got one on your reco Jammy. Texas Flood. My edition comes with four bonus live tracks and thats where the caveat with this artist arises. Though there is nothing wrong with the studio recording in fact its about as tight as a combo get. Its in the live tracks that the music really, wellcomes alive. My next purchase will be a live cd cos that man has afterburners in them there fingertips.:dude:

Duvet wrote:

Only got one on your reco Jammy. Texas Flood. My edition comes with four bonus live tracks and thats where the caveat with this artist arises. Though there is nothing wrong with the studio recording in fact its about as tight as a combo get. Its in the live tracks that the music really, wellcomes alive. My next purchase will be a live cd cos that man has afterburners in them there fingertips.:dude:

Live alive my brudder. you will luvs it.

Mart,

I dunno, but if you find out let me know.

Cheers

Jumbo

I have just about everything Stevie recorded. The video 'Live in Austin Texas' is a must. His playing gives me goose bumps.

Watching him play 'Texas Flood' from that show or ' Live at the elMocambo' (another must buy)is an experience never to be forgotten. He is my guitar hero of all time withDavid Gilmour in second place.

My only regret in life is that I will never be able to see him play live.

*A few words from Eric Clapton*

"I don't think anyone has commanded my respect more,

to this day.The first time I heard Stevie Ray, I thought,

"Whoever this is, he is going to shake the world. I was in

my car and I remember thinking, I have to find out, before

the day is over, who that guitar player is.That doesn't happen

to me very often, though I get that way about listening to music.

I mean, about three or four times in my life I've felt that way...in

a car, listening to the radio, where I've stopped the car,pulled

over...listened...and thought, I've got to find out before the end

of the day, not, you know, sooner or later, but I have to know

NOW who that is. And I remember being fascinated by the fact

that he never, ever seemed to be...lost in any way...It was as though

he never took a breather...or took a pause to think where he was

gonna go next, it just flowed out of him. It's going to be a long time

before anyone that brilliant will come along again."

SRV & Double Trouble.

srvjpgwigwam5ny.jpg

I like SRV have all the stuff plus the crappy bootlegs, GML do you have the 83' Jam with Albert King? The New Scorsasy double is pretty incisive too. Mr.C

Jammy if you wish to here SRV in a 'true Live setting', and your in the area, drop buy Stevie preforms once or twice a week @ the Glos Bowl :D

Clapton (Clapped out) blows goats btw

SRV muso fact:

SRV achieves much of his sound by using heavy gauge guitar strings and a high guitar action. This gives great tone because it allows the strings to vibrate without any fret buzz (where the strings ‘buzz’ against the frets when oscillating) with the heavier gauge of string giving longer sustain - the downside is heavy gauge and high action shreds your fingertips very quickly! Because of this SRV uses superglue to reinforce the calluses on his fingers so they don’t disintegrate.

Mr Coherent wrote:

GML do you have the 83' Jam with Albert King?

I certainly do have this album, two copies of it in fact. The first one I bought a few years ago is manufactured in Germany.

The second I purchased recently from CD Japan. This one is made in Japan and sounds more open, cleanerand detailed. It is not SACD or HDCD.I don't know why but it is my experience that Japanese manufactured CD albums generally soundbetter than their EU counterparts.

Right from the start it's obvious that Albert Kingwas one of Stevie's guitar hero's although in terms of guitar playing ability Stevie was streets ahead IMO. I get the impression that on occasions, although probably unintentionally Mr King belittles Stevie a tad. I have to smile every time I hear King comment, 'Now you I can do something with'. Was he kidding or what?

Had 10k round for dinner last night and we listened to plenty of SRV. The SWMBO's got a bit cheesed off so we had to curtail it, otherwise we would have listened all night.

Marvelous.

I only have one album, he is undoubtedly a great guitarist but for whatever reason I've never explored further than -

f54344supb6.jpg

This album contains a version of Little Wing - even Hendrix would have raised his eyebrows on hearing this.That trackis perhaps one of the greatest pieces of guitar playing ever recorded, it is simply stunning.If you haven'theard it you really need to put that right ......

Sumdumgi wrote:

I only have one album, he is undoubtedly a great guitarist but for whatever reason I've never explored further than -

f54344supb6.jpg

This album contains a version of Little Wing - even Hendrix would have raised his eyebrows on hearing this.That trackis perhaps one of the greatest pieces of guitar playing ever recorded, it is simply stunning.If you haven'theard it you really need to put that right ......

It's weel worth exploring his back passage.. sorry Catalogue. Some great works up his tail pipe... sorry, in his past.

Guest 10k

can I just reiterate what GML said about Live at the elMocambo being a must buy? It's great listening to him, but seeing is unbelievable!

10k wrote:

can I just reiterate what GML said about Live at the elMocambo being a must buy? It's great listening to him, but seeing is unbelievable!

I know Ben, I will get round to buying it. See you weekend after next mate. We have got a baby sitter btw. :mmmm: