Sign in to follow this  
Jezzer

Facebook Virus

Caught a virusvia Facebook the other day.

My antivirus (avast) caught it but not before it hijacked my browser and started redirecting me to other sites (because I was stupid enough to click on a dodgy looking link).

Google was stillappearing as my homepage but search results would take me elsewhere.

I ended up installing firefox, uninstalling Internet Explorer, upating all my security software and windows, performed various scans...

Everything seems to beback to normal now.

Except I'm using Firefox and not IE...

Anyway, there's a lesson to be had there somewhere....

Matt J wrote:

Jezzer wrote:
Anyway, there's a lesson to be had there somewhere....

Yeah, don't use facebook, it's for wazzocks.

And don't use Internet Explorer either. :^

Anyway, there's some stuff on this virus here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/dec/09/facebook-virus-security-warning-koobface

"The worm only affects users with Windows-based computers. Apple and Linux systems are unaffected."

(yet another reason to buy a "proper" computer)

Scarlet Pimpernel wrote:

"The worm only affects users with Windows-based computers. Apple and Linux systems are unaffected."

*sigh*

Scarlet Pimpernel wrote:

Apple and Linux - only one of these is a "proper" computer tho! :P (and no its not the one named after a fruit!)

Facebook book is shit - http://www.arsebook.org/ is much better

Mr Cat wrote:

do blokes actually use facebook..? - my lady does and it's just like an online version of heat magazine or something...

They certainly do - http://www.hifiwigwam.com/view_topic.php?id=35578&forum_id=38

It's just a social networking site that helps you get back in touch with people you've not seen for years :)

I'm afraid I don't read ladies magazines so can draw no comparison...

From my sad experience FaceBook is used by ladies.

I do not use it, although I joined Facebook to try to get access to free online 'Faintheart' film - no luck yet so I shall leave Facebook.

Refrain from clicking dodgy links etc.

Mr Cat wrote:

yeah, I watch my lady on it a lot - and she keeps getting these daft questionnaires...!

Ah yes those things, it is what you make of it I suppose, you can either answer them, or ignore them :)

I've been on there for nearly two years, the reality is that it's extremely unisex and I've seen no bias whatsoever; male users are (easily) as active as the lady folk.

darryla wrote:

Scarlet Pimpernel wrote:

*sigh*

lol

RDD wrote:

It's just a social networking site that helps you get back in touch with people you've not seen for years :)

Surely the fact you haven't seen them for years is because you don't like them? if they were worth talking to you'd have kept in touch in the first place :D

Matt J wrote:

RDD wrote:

Surely the fact you haven't seen them for years is because you don't like them? if they were worth talking to you'd have kept in touch in the first place :D

No, not at all, there's many reasons people loose touch with each other over time, doesn't mean that I wouldn't be delighted to see them again. I've met up with a few old friends since I've been on there, well the one's that are still on this continent anyway!

Thank ... I left MyBookFace.

Facts are that since IT/mobies real people have avoided real people.