Sign in to follow this  
Neilb

Tannoy Prestige range.

I'm sure this will be covering some old ground so I'm sorry about that but nevertheless I see Tannoy users are rarely shy about extoling the merits of these speakers and their big drivers.

Simple question really. Who here uses what model and for what kindof music? What are the best models to look out for and which should be avoided. Does the 10 inch Glenair give anything like the performance of the 15 for example?

Are they all great with classical but shite with drum and bass for example? I'm very intersted to hear if any of these models are brilliant all rounders (which is really what I need).

I was quite impressed with the Sandringhams at the weekend and the size made them seem quite adaptable in most normal scenarios.

I'm not sure why but I've become very interested in these lately.

Thanks for any Input on this.

I doubt my Chesters count as 'Prestige', on account of being 30 years old and all, but they are Tannoy Dual Concentrics and very good.

I use them for most kinds of music and find them very even-handed - nothing seems to be more or less suitable to listen to. 10" driver, medium sized standmount cabinet, gloriously good sound for the money (way better than anything you could buy new for under a grand I'd reckon).

My next and hopefully final move will be to move to a 15" Tannoy DC, but that may take a couple of years as I have other priorities right now.

Recently bought Stirlings. 10" DC - similar size to Sandringham (not quite as tall, but slightly wider and deeper).

I play all kinds of music and they perform very well indeed. I don't, however, have any "drum and bass" music (I don't think so, anyway!) so cannot comment on specifics with that genre.

I play classical (more recently) and everything from Kate Bush to Led Zeppelin, Tracy Chapman to The Who and they have played everything brilliantly so far.

hth

I use Turnberrys (10¨) with a wide range of music from classical to electronica and indie. If they have a weakness I´ve not found it yet. They have kicking bass - the new Nitin Sawhney sounds great, for example.

Glenair 10s are probably the duffers of the range, TBH. Turnberrys or Stirlings are better for less money.

I heard the Glenair 10s at the weekend and thought them decidedly average. It was my first experience with the older style Tannoy’s and unfortunately it didn’t leave me with a desire to investigate them further.

Still plenty of very happy users so they must do something right.

Interesting. I see the Sandingham has an 8 inch unit. It seems like the Kensingtons (or at least the models of that size and form) are nice and manageable. Big enough yet practical.I heard you guy's mention before that the 10 inch Glenair was a little luke warm compared to the rest. How does the 15 inch Glen stack up. I liked the idea of that 15 inch driver in a cabinet that wasn't stupidly big.

I'd love to here those Kensington SE's though...

Drum and bass was just an example really. I do like a bit of electronica so it's got to wip through that stuff.

The 15¨ Glenair is excellent, but I think the Canterbury is even better...

meninblack wrote:

The 15¨ Glenair is excellent, but I think the Canterbury is even better...

No doubt it is. Do they have the same drivers? If so obviously the heavier cabinet of th Canterbury is telling. I'm not sure about the looks though for some reason (or the price for that matter. We are talking serious quids there!!

Strangely though these have a different design (less ornamental more architectural and I really do quite like these and could certainly live with them.

These are good too (GRF Memory):

grfmemory.JPG

Also very nice. A couple of people here have those don't they.

So what are the best second hand buys to look out for??

Neilb wrote:

I'm sure this will be covering some old ground so I'm sorry about that but nevertheless I see Tannoy users are rarely shy about extoling the merits of these speakers and their big drivers.

Simple question really. Who here uses what model and for what kindof music? What are the best models to look out for and which should be avoided. Does the 10 inch Glenair give anything like the performance of the 15 for example?

Are they all great with classical but shite with drum and bass for example? I'm very intersted to hear if any of these models are brilliant all rounders (which is really what I need).

I was quite impressed with the Sandringhams at the weekend and the size made them seem quite adaptable in most normal scenarios.

I'm not sure why but I've become very interested in these lately.

Thanks for any Input on this.

I had the turnberrys which I sold to meninblack and now have glenair 15

I have also used all the prestige range in the past :cool:

they are fantastic speakers and work with all kit

i even used a Naim 202 200 cdx2 for a year with turnberrys

and have used 12 watt single ended to 1000 watts mono blocks with them

any amp sounds good with prestige speakers even my chord stuff ;-)

the glenair 10 is the runt of the litter and its hard to get a good sound out of it that said there are some smaller rooms where the speaker still has space to be moved away from the wall where it sings

its aimed at the person who wants a 10 inch driver but wifes wants something that looks newer than the rest of the prestige range

prestige range speakers will play ANY music from didio to classic :nuts:

Im just scraping myself of the back wall as we speak playing Broken ,beat and scarred from the latest Metallica album...Tannoy Canterburys:)

Ian.