Sign in to follow this  
julian2002

what's happening

Recommended Posts

ok so a few weeks ago every forum i belong to was glowing red hot about the imminent financial collapse of the world, outrage about hundreds of billions being given to those who'd caused the problem with little change in regulation, how the housing market was in freefall and generally that we were all fooked.

now however it seems like not much has changed, and things are ticking along ok? as i generally like to avoid the news as i would a dose of ebola i'm kind of out of the loop. was there some sort of ostrich mandate that if we all ignore it it'll go away or is it all just too terrifying to talk about and i'm better off not knowing.

a quick executive summary would be nice so i can avoid the more traditional news media (the daily mash being my sole provender of news).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing too bad to worry about.:cafe: Xmas is coming. Go out every weekend and start shopping for pressies for rels and friends. This will stimulate your national economy.:KH: Even that box of crackers you buy for that smelly old aunt will help save the economy and give kids a brighter future...:P

And then you wake up on Boxing Day in deep credit card debt and the mortgage men's at the door wanting your arse...:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hmmm, xmas, this i don;t wish to think about - there are very few of my relatives that i actually give a toss about however i have an innordinate number of friends that i feel obliged to buy prezzies for. this is going to bankrupt me or at least put a dent in my phone tart fund. also most of them seem to have had the poor taste to be born in the 3 months running up to xmas - i blame the parents.

i'm especially perturbed by the fact that most of my female friends have already done all their xmas shopping. this is just wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hahahaha!:D Happy shopping, Brother Xmas.

hey I want to be your new friend too!:hug:(ps: I want the Yonex RDS001 MidPlus (Nalbandian's racquet!:))

Good thing I don't have any friends born near Xmas. Pain-in-the-arse, 'em Saggitarians...:nup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:D the internet is my best friend at xmas i can do most of my shopping via it it's great and keeps the unwashed masses at bay.

i must have had 7 friends birthdays within the last month or so and another 2 that i can remember between now and xmas - probably more that i've forgotten though. it's terrible- the endless parties, meals out, socialising - i'm getting to be a jaded old bastard now and that's not good for my skin.

much as i would like to buy you the racquet of your dreams (sounds like some sort of guided missile though) i don;t think i could live with the guilt of possibly causing you the pain and suffering of tennis elbow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SSM wrote:

hahahaha!:D Happy shopping, Brother Xmas.

hey I want to be your new friend too!:hug:(ps: I want the Yonex RDS001 MidPlus (Nalbandian's racquet!:))

Good thing I don't have any friends born near Xmas. Pain-in-the-arse, 'em Saggitarians...:nup:

You dont want that SS.. that there is a fat mans racquet !!!:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mr Cat wrote:

julian2002 wrote:
ok so a few weeks ago every forum i belong to was glowing red hot about the imminent financial collapse of the world, outrage about hundreds of billions being given to those who'd caused the problem with little change in regulation, how the housing market was in freefall and generally that we were all fooked.

now however it seems like not much has changed, and things are ticking along ok? as i generally like to avoid the news as i would a dose of ebola i'm kind of out of the loop. was there some sort of ostrich mandate that if we all ignore it it'll go away or is it all just too terrifying to talk about and i'm better off not knowing.

a quick executive summary would be nice so i can avoid the more traditional news media (the daily mash being my sole provender of news).

but they're saying that unemployment could rise to 3million by 2010... :(

thats about 2000 a day every day :shock:and when some days last week saw double that it could happen we had todays 2000 here

link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so what happened with the massive cash injection then? did the banks just go 'ta' pay off some loans and earmark the rest for bonuses?

(if i still have a job) am i going to be able to afford a house soon?

is my pension fucked and should i switch to dissipation through hedonism as a retirement plan?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TigerTiger wrote:

SSM wrote:
hahahaha!:D Happy shopping, Brother Xmas.

hey I want to be your new friend too!:hug:(ps: I want the Yonex RDS001 MidPlus (Nalbandian's racquet!:))

Good thing I don't have any friends born near Xmas. Pain-in-the-arse, 'em Saggitarians...:nup:

You dont want that SS.. that there is a fat mans racquet !!!:P

Yes I was in a shopping mall in Wimbledon the other day, and a chap handed me apamphlet explaining that Yonex raquets are for bloaters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HiFiWigWam wrote:

TigerTiger wrote:
SSM wrote:
hahahaha!:D Happy shopping, Brother Xmas.

hey I want to be your new friend too!:hug:(ps: I want the Yonex RDS001 MidPlus (Nalbandian's racquet!:))

Good thing I don't have any friends born near Xmas. Pain-in-the-arse, 'em Saggitarians...:nup:

You dont want that SS.. that there is a fat mans racquet !!!:P

Yes I was in a shopping mall in Wimbledon the other day, and a chap handed me apamphlet explaining that Yonex raquets are for bloaters.

So you bought one:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

julian2002 wrote:

so what happened with the massive cash injection then? did the banks just go 'ta' pay off some loans and earmark the rest for bonuses?

(if i still have a job) am i going to be able to afford a house soon?

is my pension fucked and should i switch to dissipation through hedonism as a retirement plan?

As I mentioned in another thread somewhere. Our choices were:

Intervene in thebanking system and have a recession

Don't intervene and have a depression.

Things are going to be sh*t but could have been a lot worse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mr Cat wrote:

but is it really happening - or just the usual media spin..?

Well, yes by almost every conceivable economic measure. We're only near the beginning of the recession though.

However like any stats they are generalisations.For example ifyou've just been mugged then you're not really going to be interested in someone telling you crime rates have gone down.

Similarly there will be people who will of course keep their jobs and maybe benefit from the lower mortgage rates and highstreet prices. Let's hope we're mostly in that bucket.

But a lot of people will become unemployed, businesses will fold and government resouces will become strained.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

julian2002 wrote:

ok so a few weeks ago every forum i belong to was glowing red hot about the imminent financial collapse of the world, outrage about hundreds of billions being given to those who'd caused the problem with little change in regulation, how the housing market was in freefall and generally that we were all fooked.

now however it seems like not much has changed, and things are ticking along ok? as i generally like to avoid the news as i would a dose of ebola i'm kind of out of the loop. was there some sort of ostrich mandate that if we all ignore it it'll go away or is it all just too terrifying to talk about and i'm better off not knowing.

a quick executive summary would be nice so i can avoid the more traditional news media (the daily mash being my sole provender of news).

too much TV has given people short attenion spans :)the worlds still up shit creek banks still bust and people are losing jobs faster than ob1 changes amps

some have gone off to comfort buy and bang it on the credit card

there are 4,164 members of the forum and if 70% are UK based thats about 3,000 and if 10% lose there jobs thats 300 not buying hi fi by NEXT xmas (not this one|)

time will tell but sales in the classified and sales on e-bay and other forums show things are getting tougher :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ian Sampson wrote:

HiFiWigWam wrote:
TigerTiger wrote:
SSM wrote:
hahahaha!:D Happy shopping, Brother Xmas.

hey I want to be your new friend too!:hug:(ps: I want the Yonex RDS001 MidPlus (Nalbandian's racquet!:))

Good thing I don't have any friends born near Xmas. Pain-in-the-arse, 'em Saggitarians...:nup:

You dont want that SS.. that there is a fat mans racquet !!!:P

Yes I was in a shopping mall in Wimbledon the other day, and a chap handed me apamphlet explaining that Yonex raquets are for bloaters.

So you bought one:P

:rofl:

Doubt it, tho. He seems more a Dunlop man.:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.