Sign in to follow this  
bommer

making a will.

hi,have you lot all made wills,swmbo keeps barking on

about getting it done asap,she had a solicitor give her

a fixed price of 200 pounds,is this the going rate for

this kind of thing?morbid subject i know for a sunday

afternoon but these things have to be done i guess!

swmbo is not barking!

She is quite right and it is something everyone should do as it saves so much hassle than can be caused if you die intestate.

£200.00 is way over the odds however, you don't need a solicitor especially if the will is reasonably straightforward. There are plenty of will writing services hawking their wares, I think my folks paid about £80.00 s few years ago.

You can also do it yourself, kits can be bought from WH Smiths and others, or just google.

One of the requirements is to lodge a will somewhere so the Probate Office know there is a will, and that is partly what the solicitors and will services charge for, but I believe all you really have to do is lodge a copy with the Public records Office.

Not too sure about that but did read something about it. Worth doing some research on the net.

But do make a will!

will worth doing:? but remember that you'll change it anyway every tme the dog/inlaws/friends etc piss you off, so a friendly solicitor i not a bad idea (if expensive, although a decent firm that knows you are good for help, friendly advice etc that you dont get from a web based service). Just do it...its not morbid, it common sense.

We did ours online. Twas easy and cheap.

We printed it all off and never got anyone to sign it. No idea where it is TBH.

Sounds like a real palaver to me. The housing crash is going to mean everyone is worth less than the £300k nil band anyway, so who cares? Unless you're precious about who gets your soiled underwear, sod it. If you have a wife and kids intestacy is fine.

Obviously, more diligent professionals than me will be along soon...

Tel wrote

One of the requirements is to lodge a will somewhere so the Probate Office know there is a will, ...

Not true. When you deal with the Probate Service, you specify whether or not there is a legal, valid will.

The simplest, cheapest option is to obtain the blank form from the post office and complete as you see fit. To be legally valid it MUST be signed by two witnesses. I did this for my late-mother's will and had no hassle from the Probate Service.

My local solicitor charges £60, so £200 is taking the piss.

Matt J wrote:

Can you specify who gets which debt? that would be cool as I don't have anything else to leave :rofl:

On a serious note, no-one "owns" the debt. The executor(s) manages the estate and it's debts.

The debts are liable on settlement of the estate. The debts must be paid in a specific order; a quick google search will give a good explanation of this.

I've had no end of companies try it on and threaten me with legal action for non-payment of debt when acting as the executor of an estate. A polite letter to their Chief Executive paraphrasing "see you in court, cunt" has addressed of all these. :P

We're in the process of making our will at the moment.

(Anyone want a squeezebox duet left to them?)

All seems rather straightforward, and what have you.

We're also looking out for a bank box as safe place where we can store out important docs, such as all the original house and land deeds, mortgage papers, insurance papers, copy of will, Best of Razzle 1988, and that kinda thing: do you johnny englander types do tis as well, or is it a thoroughly foreign thing?

I think £200 is a good price.

My wife and I did ours recently, we have two kids.

The things to remember are you need two wills in effect yours and your wife's, they may be identical ie if you go first everything goes to her or if she goes first everything goes to you.

There is also the 'total wipe out clause' ie what if your family all get wiped out in a plane crash say. Horrible to think about but these things need to be considered.

Also if you have got kids what happens if you and wife both go. Who is going look after your kids and how are you going finance their care, college etc, if at all.

Lots to think about and, if you have kids, worth paying the £200 I think to get a professional to do it especially if either of you have family members whom you think might dispute things after you've gone. Best to get your wishes down on paper in a water tight fashion

Pete

Making a will is sensible. Having it done properly is even more sensible. Paying a solicitor now is not unreasonable even if the cost is £200 (which frankly seems a little steep but is only a couple of hours probably). My solicitor did mine and my wife's as part of the conveyancing when we bought a house. Can you imagine the cost if the form you fill in from the post office or WH Smith is not filled in correctly, not properly witnessed or does not deal with common occurrences which render a will invalid. Sorting out an invalid will or an intestacy could cost much more than £200. I look upon these things as a kind of insurance. If the solicitor screws up at least he/she will sort it out or can be sued and has professional indemnity insurance.

It may be apocryphal, but I understand there is a toast at Law Society dinners to "The Home Made Will". Think about it.

"Will Aid" is a good scheme. If you think £200 is too much, shop around.

you can do wills easy on line and buy forms from the post office, that said if there is any chance of a cat fight over the hi fi or anything else you own... pay up and get it done by a solicitor you have then left in place a person who has to answer for his/her actions if it goes pear shape anyone can buy software and call them sells a will writer

here is such a course http://www.newleafdistribution.co.uk/newleaftraining/sswills.asp

these will writers could have been selling kitchens last week :D