Sign in to follow this  
Dhammavijaya

Chester Castles

Super Wammer

Anyone know if these speakers are good - have a good reputation?

Don't know a huge amount, but I think I remember that Castle Chesters are no longer made, but were one of Castles' better designs, well reviewed and well balanced. Castles tend toward a well rounded sound, with good drive and presence. They are always beautifully made, mostly with real wood veneers, if that matters to you. I expect others will be along with more direct experience soon!:)

some of the flat earthers describe them as Linn isobarics for those who can't afford or accomodate isobarics.

Dhammavijaya wrote:

Anyone know if these speakers are good - have a good reputation?

From memory a decent speaker with good full presence, not really suited to heavy rock but by no means a "classical only" speaker, should suit decent (non Jap) amp with decent drive at lower levels. As RM says, beatifully built and finished. Once upon a time Yamaha used to use them as front end speakers on AV dems with the DSPA 2070, ah, those were the days - Terry Murphy trying to blow the bass drivers into oblivion by using Robocop to ask people not to smoke during dems! Don't think he ever managed it though.:rockin:

Super Wammer

OK. What's the general lowdown on Castle Howards. I'm thinking of new speakers (second-hand) and am looking into the Castle range.

I run Howards...by and large I'm very happy with them...they have a full and dynamic sound, go very loud if you want, have a good open midrange and clear top end with plenty of bass. The bass does need (and the speakers do need) control, so a powerful and tight solid state amp is probably best, and something over 60 wpc + essential, with maybe 120- 150 ideal (dependent on design of course)...mine are real wood matched veneer which are luvly if you like trad looking stuff. I play a huge variety of music, from folk to classical through soul and driving rock...they do ALL this well...one their big plus points, when I auditioned them against Sonus faber / B&W / KEF / etc. I paid 1300 in 2000 so 2nd hand maybe 500-600 would be tops.

hope this helps:)

Super Wammer

So 2xQuad303s probably a bit too puny then?

well I run them from a 60wpc Copeland csa14 and in that set up, bass needs a better grip. If I remember, the quads are 45wpc ish?, so on paper, it's not enough...you'd probably run them into clipping if you like it loud, but I have no experience of 303's in the flesh so they may well perform much better than the wpc implies. Is Dave Whit a quad man? he might help.:)