AmDismal

Your hifi history part 1 - speakers

Pioneer - big 3 ways, can't recall model. Moved a lot of air and impressed me until one day I wandered into the Sound Organisation and heard something better.

(Incidentally, my first system was bought back in the '80s and despite having never read any mags and never met or spoke with anyone into hi-fi ..... I just instinctively thought that if they spent money on gadgets and flashing lights, that was less money on the sound quality making stuff - so I bought the least well equipped, most basic non-flashing light adorned hi-fi which happened to also be seperates - lucky eh!?)

Hi-Fi trail...

Epos ES11s on KuStones - lively and punchy. Still great little speakers IMO for the money. A friend of mine still has them.

Linn Nexus SE - bigger and more detailed, really enjoyed metal with these, but the presentation was a bit 'throw you back into the wall, now sit there and be subjected to this!' ...... I loved them at the time but knew they had some serious failings.

Naim SBLs - much more civilised. Presentation a world away from the agressive Nexus. Did subtlety and gave my music a depth I had not seen before. I started listening to music with more than just heavily amplified guitars!

Audio Physic Avanti IIIs - Cripes, that bass is big. Much more careful positioning required to make sure the bass doesn't get too much. Once positioned right, imaging (novelty for me), subtlety and presence. Also one of the only tweeters I have ever heard (other than a ribbon tweeter) that seems to blend almost seemlessly. Oh, and very pretty which had never even been a consideration of mine, but these do look nice - despite the moaning I get from my boyfriend or mother when she calls in regarding them being too far into the room and "Are they really necessary? No-one could possibly need speakers that size, they are rediculous, you can't really think they sound better, it is just showing off" :roll:

Samantha wrote:

...mother when she calls in regarding them being too far into the room and "Are they really necessary? No-one could possibly need speakers that size, they are rediculous, you can't really think they sound better, it is just showing off" :roll:

I'm looking forward to myparents' reaction to the Turnberrys.... :D:D

Interesting thread.

Made me realise how many pairs i've had.:oops:

jpw sonata

jpw p1

mission 737s

mission 737 r

heybrook hb2

chartwell ls3/5a

rogers ls3/5a 11 ohm

rogers ls55

rogers ls1

rogers ls4

rogers ls6

rogers ls7

quad 11

epos es11

linn kans couple of pairs.

royd abotts.

celestion sl6s

few pairs of diamonds 1 2 and 3

arc 101

jpw ap2s

jr 149 couple of pairs.

spendor bc1s couple of pairs.

neat mystiques 2 3 pairs

pink triangle ventricals

triangle zays

castle conway 2s

ram cd 10

sure there's probably a few more.

Can't say i've hated any of them.

Ones i've enjoyed the most are the epos-neats - spendors-jrs -chartwells-royds and triangles.

Sony (can not remember but pretty bad)

Linn nexus - Big open bass, big sound,fun but not very honest (still have at work)

Mission 772 - Nice small speaker with better bass and buildthen most at its size (best mate stilluses them)

Tannoy R2 - Still have and still the best floorstander I have heardbelow £500(needs to be massloaded to sound its best)

Mission 751 freedom - Very good small stand mount (maybe the best mission I have heard ) Brother now uses them.

Pmc fb1 - Better then every other floorstander I tried under £2000 7yrs ago (Can not see me changing)

Started with a Tannoy corner speaker - could only afford one s/h. Mono was still in vogue!

Then Quad ESL 57 (pair)

Quad ESL 57 Made by Peter Lindley

Quad 988 Nouveau

Quad 2805*

Stirling LS3/5a (V1) + Rogers AB1*

*In today's system(s)

Seems to be a theme in my choice of speaker :)

Mission 761 - ok budget speaker, no more & no less

Tannoy Mercury S - bit more refined thsn the Missions and better bass, I liked them

Rogers LS4a2 - Much much better. I could still live with a pair of these if I had to.

Rogers LS7t - Very good, real music at last

Rogers LS5/8 - ex-BBC behemoths that sadly never went beyond project stage

Harbeth Compact 7ES - Superb and very even spread of abilities :^

Yamaha NS-1000M - Amazing clarity and punch, all the time

Meridian D600 - Big & powerful digital actives, enjoyed them but not keepers

Merlin VSM-MM - Not lush or romantic sounding but do not make poor recordings unlistenable despite being exceptionally transparent and revealing. They seem to be thriving on the end of some valves, I like these very very much.

The only thing that might tempt me away from them eventually is the lure of big fwack-off horns...

Guest murray johnson

mighty ant wrote:

Started with a Tannoy corner speaker - could only afford one s/h. Mono was still in vogue!

Then Quad ESL 57 (pair)

Quad 988 Nouveau

Quad 2805*

*In today's system(s)

I met him a few times. Very nice & knowledgeable chap. Presumably retired now (or worse!)

TDL RTL3 - Not refined but fun,

Revel F30 - big jump, with really deep bassand suprisingly refined metal tweeter

Revel M20 - lose the lower octaves, but gain even better midrange overit's big brother

Amphion Ions - Very small so limited bass but what there is is quality,lovely open midrange and treble.

Keesonic Kubs - nice on my Sansui receiver

Mission 780 - made my Pioneer A400 a bit more palatable

Castle Severn - what was I thinking. dull.

Ruark Templar - wonderful when mass loaded just right and very fussy about position - but Iwish I stillhad them.

Harbeth HLP-3ES... wasn't long till I missed the Ruarks

Audio Physic Tempo III - amazing imaging but a bit dryish

Quad 988 - amazing with my first foray into valves, but too big for room

ATC SCM12 - I miss this almost as much as the Ruarks

Living Voice Auditorium II.... only lasted 3 weeks.... sounded incredibly similar to the ATC 12 in my room, so why take all that space?

ATC SCM20 - not as good as the 12s and very odd treble

Dali Helicon 400 - lovely big rich sound. I miss them a bit.

Wilmslow Mercury DIY - active or passive, wonderful, first small speaker I've ever heard do an orchestra full justice.

Next - another Wilmslow kit, floorstanding this time and bigger drivers.

Marantz 4G - did a job.

Wharfedale Teesdale - my only three-way. Surprisingly good if a bit odd looking, would like to know if anyone has a pair still doing the rounds.

Tannoy Oxford - not bad all rounder. Bit bland.

Linn Kan 1 - cured the blandness alright! Novelty wore off after a year or so. Engaging but just not my idea of realistic. Useless with digital.

Rourke Sabre - could never get them right, lasted less than six months.

EPOS (don't remember the model) - large deep standmounts with a bung. Sweet sound but a bit boomy in my then listening room.

Naim IBL - nice open midrange, ultimately bass-light once a larger room was available.

Naim SBL - for twenty years, good with Naim amps, good with valves. Still Naim's best value speaker option by a mile.

Extensive trials with Neat and Living Voice floor standers, eventually settled on

ART Emotion Signatures - for the past two years. Work superbly in my room and I can see them lasting the course. Some of the qualities I liked in SBLs, Neats and LV but found the ARTs a bit more engaging. Never find myself listening to them (in the best of ways).

Steve

Celestian 7's

Kef Q55.2

Tannoy Mercury MX1

Nightingale NM3's

PMC FB1+

Tannoy TD8 / DIY Fostex FE208E horns

Klipsch Jubilees (shipped from the US on the 23rd) :D

I've also got some JBL Control 1's in a cupboards somewhere that have never been used!

Mordaunt Short Bookshel speakers- quite nice but a little too polite and flat

Proac Studio 1 - better, much more snap, and detail. Bass limited and clinical

Impulse H2 - Beautiful open sound, but too big and ugly, with woolly bass

Mission 752- moved back to an AV rig with these. So flat and dull I gave up on music

Living Voice Auditoriums - Now we're talking. Great open sound, with natural timbre

Living Voice IBX - Much much better than the Auditoriums with real delicay in the treble and far moresecure bass

As far as I can remember:

Kef Carina 2s

Gale 301

Gale 401

Richard Allen RA1 with Marshall Jubilee/EV bass rig as sub

Kef 104/2

Kef Cadenzas

Kef Concorde 4

Ditton 66/2

Leema Xavier

Most of the speakers from Richard Allen on were used in some combinationin a Hafler network, and many (until the Dittons and Leemas) with the Marshall bass rig..

murray johnson wrote:

mighty ant wrote:

Then Quad ESL 57 (pair)

Quad 988 Nouveau

Quad 2805*

*In today's system(s)

I met him a few times. Very nice & knowledgeable chap. Presumably retired now (or worse!)

Murray,

Don't think either retired or worse. I'm not sure but I have a feeling he trades bits and pieces on ebay under the name of phoenix-pete. He used to live just outside Spalding, Lincs.

Rebuilt Quad 11's for me and made some fabulous '57s. He split the mid & treble panels and placed them side by side as outer panels. The electronics were housed inside a bar totally separate from the panels and housed the whole thing in solid walnut frame/housing. They looked stunning, would still have them, except they became too wide for the room in our current home.

Believe they might know of his existence at HiFi Trading Station in Peterborough.

M.A.

not a very long list, considerin how long I've been doing this, but......

Wharefdale unit 4 (Kit 2way)

Mission 770's

SD2's

Snell K's

Snell J's

Castle Howards

Focals as now