This section from BBC Click covers a number of novel ventilator designs being worked on:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000gyt0/click-the-race-to-save-lives

Thanks for the link, will have to watch that tomorrow. Too late tonight.

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, MartinC said:

Healthcare professionals, exactly as is the case under normal circumstances. I'm not quite sure why you asked this?

Note that a major point of the current 'lockdown' is to reduce the maximum number of patients requiring ventilators at any one time, and so minimise as best we can the horrible decisions that will result of not having enough for all who could benefit from them.

Just making the point that the availability of ventilators is only a small part of the problem

Staffing is almost certainly going to be extremely problematic 

These are decisions I have been making since the early 1990s

Edited by huwge
Accuracy
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, huwge said:

Just making the point that the availability of ventilators is only a small part of the problem

Staffing is almost certainly going to be extremely problematic 

These are decisions I have been making since the early 1990s

I suppose it's a moot point until said ventilators are built, tested and distributed.

Of course, staff will need to be trained in their use, too.

I know Dyson are a slick outfit, but it all seems very optimistic to me. Why not go with the companies that are all already established in the field? Is there more to this than meets the eye, I wonder. I don't quite buy the suggestion that it's payback for Dyson's support of the Conservatives - it's too big a gamble with the stakes so high.

We'll find out in due course, no doubt, but there will be nowhere to hide if the whole plan should go belly-up.

Just listened to an intensive care doctor on Radio 2 who said there are currently both intensive care beds and ventilators available but they remain unused as there are simply not enough trained staff to operate them. She made the point that the NHS has been cut to the bone and that the staff needed for IC have to be highly skilled and cannot  be trained quickly. So it doesn't seem as if simply obtaining more ventilators is likely to solve anything in the near future. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, wHIZZY said:

Just listened to an intensive care doctor on Radio 2 who said there are currently both intensive care beds and ventilators available but they remain unused as there are simply not enough trained staff to operate them. She made the point that the NHS has been cut to the bone and that the staff needed for IC have to be highly skilled and cannot  be trained quickly. So it doesn't seem as if simply obtaining more ventilators is likely to solve anything in the near future. 

Very true, and actually a reason I was encouraged by the CPAP news I posted above.

The CPAP news is good as it would help those who require intervention but not quite to the extent of a ventilator.

Not so good is https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52092395

Some Chinese equipment not fit for purpose. I wonder where our stuff has been ordered from?

CPAP machines are already in wide use for people with sleep apnoea and are a relatively simple machine to self administer.

Edited by Pete the Feet

1 hour ago, Pete the Feet said:

CPAP machines are already in wide use for people with sleep apnoea and are a relatively simple machine to self administer.

indeed, my Dad has been using one for about 30 years.  The BBC are reporting it on TV as some great breakthrough.....

• Haha 1